Well water pressure problem.... Advise needed.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, Jun 1, 2015.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

Our water comes from a well on our property. The pump is fairly new, (replaced about 3 years ago). The water contains a lot of calcium, and a lot of iron. Over the years, the pressure inside the house has decreased, but the pressure at the hose bib (in the pump enclosure), is fine.

I suspect that the iron (which can form a muddy red paste), over time has clogged our supply lines. Is this possible/likely, and if so, what can be done to alleviate it? What costs, and what procedures?

Thanks in advance for any info!

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Have you checked all the filters? We had well work done and afterwards we got dirt and such in the water. Every sink with an aerator and the shower were clogged. Cleaned them out and bam - great pressure again. Worth a shot.

In my house at least, hard water leads to leaking pipes, not lower pressure.

3. standard24

standard24 Member

No filters affecting the whole house.... But when this (if ever), gets resolved, I'm putting in a big, whole house filter.

4. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

Like GAD said, check all of the faucet aerators. Those are "filters". You will most likely find your problem.

5. mge80

mge80 Member

Indeed. We have a whole house filter, with 3 different canisters and different types of media. And we still have to clean the faucet aerators and shower heads regularly. It's less of a pressure issue than a spray going sideways issue, but still.

6. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

Ive got a short well, mineral/silt/iron-rich water, and radon.

My set-up adds @ 25 psi of pressure. It is:

water softener ($1000+ dealer kind, not $400 Sears/Lowes kind) + silt filter (cheap), + Radon aerator ($3000+). The aerator accounts for @ 15psi.

7. Jim Fisher

Jim Fisher Silver Supporting Member

8. standard24

standard24 Member

Good idea! I haven't drained it or checked the pressure in a long time. I'll do this tonight. Thanks.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Also if by chance you have a mixing valve in the system, that is a probable culprit to clog.

10. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for aerators. Those clog over time even with municipal water

11. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Release a little air from the valve at the top of your pressure tank. If water comes out, your rubber bladder is bad.

12. agradywills

agradywills Member

Just had to replace all galvanized lines going to my house with PEX. I also have a well and the galvanized lines had filled with the reddish paste (iron/calcium/etc)over the years. I have a crawlspace and all the feed lines are in it. I hired a knowledgeable guy and we both knocked it out in one day. I used Shark Bite connectors to attach all the 1/2' PEX to the fixtures. Done.

13. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

If the pressure at the hose bib is fine, then it's not the bladder in the tank. The bladder in the tank would affect the entire system.

14. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Water tank is shot 90% of the time. If it's above ground pump could be your jet down below.

15. standard24

standard24 Member

I don't even have aerators in most faucets. Not enough pressure to need them.

Pump is at bottom of 520 ft well.

16. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Do you have (you should) a pressure gauge at the well-tank? Depending on what your pump-switch is set at (30-50 or 40-60 is typical) you can at least gauge the pressure.

If you have a new well-tank, there should be no reason to touch the air-valve on top. They come pre-charged from the factory. That air-valve fills the rubber bladder, that the incoming water pushes against. If the bladder is shot, it's time for a new well-tank.

Do you pressure issues at every single faucet, or just a select few?

17. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Are you sure there isn't a filter involved? We had the same problem, turned out to be the filter out at the well had never been changed. Swapped out the old funky filter for a new one, our water pressure is the best that it's ever been.

18. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Could be the pump screen is clogged down in the well but check the tank first.

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Storage tank or just the pump in the well?
    Is your pressure tank before or after the hose spigot you say the pressure is fine at?
    If after, there is usually a check valve between your pressure pump and the well.
    If your well has all that iron etc I'm surprised you don't have filters somewhere...?
    My system has>pump in well>Storage tank>>Check valve (to prevent pressure pump from pumping back toward the well)>house pump for pressure>Pressure tank with bladder>filters> faucet.

My well has a lot of red iron too, but when you take something apart... it is red... but not thick.

20. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

My folks had a pressure issue and it ended up that they needed to have the well dug deeper to get more water.