Welp, it finally happened :(

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by saltbird, Nov 11, 2019.

1. saltbird

saltbird Member

I can't find it but I remember a while ago I posted a thread about how I was worried some of the voltage switches on my T-Rex Chameleon Fuel Tank power supply would accidentally get flipped during transporting, and I would power it up without knowing, effectively frying some pedals. The consensus was that I was worrying about nothing but it turns out, it was a legit concern. Murphy's Law I guess?

The other day, when transporting my gear back from band practice, I immediately plugged everything in to practice some of the things I needed work on. I somehow quickly noticed after powering up the board that a few of the voltage switches were flipped up. I probably subconsciously check them every time due to my aforementioned concern. I immediately freaked out, broke into a sweat, and unplugged the board.

The bad news:
    I fried an EQD Avalanche Run. It makes a TON of loud static noise but otherwise seems to work.

The good news:
    somehow the two other pedals that had voltage switches flipped seem to be fine. I don't know which switches got switched because as soon as I saw it, in a panic, I unplugged the board and switched them back. Two of the pedals on my board can accept 9-18 volts, so I'm thinking I might have gotten really lucky and they were the other two who had the voltage switches flipped. Yes, every pedal was engaged at power up except for an overdrive.

The point of this post: Beware of the T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon and it's stupid stupid non-recessed voltage switches that stick out like little light switches just begging to have a finger or cable brush up against them. They should be the type of switches that you need a mini screwdriver to flip back and forth. I really doubt many people need to switch pedal voltages in the middle of a set.

Sorry y'all! I just really needed to rant about this. I hope it makes me feel better. :(

2. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Ooof.

Check for a zener protection diode that may be half-fried... damaged but not crowbarred.
    If the digital portion is still trying to do it's thing, it might be that simple of a fix.

...yeah, unprotected power-switches are grounds for divorce.

3. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

That’s a real bummer man, sorry to hear that. Have you contacted EQD about a repair?

saltbird likes this.
  4. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Uggh! That sucks. Thanks for the heads up on the Fuel Tank Chameleon.

saltbird likes this.
  5. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

This is why I ended up moving away from the MXR ISO brick too. Yeah the variac voltages were cool to play around with but I was terrified to plug anything into them that wasn't explicitly 18v safe (which meant that on a lot of iterations on the board, those slots would go totally unused).

saltbird likes this.
  6. saltbird

saltbird Member

I just sent in the repair form. I told them everything that happened. Looks like I'll be paying $25-45 plus shipping fees for a fried board that got the wrong power supply according to the repair form. I'm not too bummed about that. Seems pretty fair!

I just want to be clear that I'm really not trying to slag on T-Rex here. They make some amazing devices and other than the voltage switch design, the Chameleon has been a great power supply. It actually has less noise than any other one I own.

They should have either put a hinged plastic cover to flip over the switches, or recessed switches. They're just too easy to accidentally bump or rub up against and activate.

7. saltbird

saltbird Member

It's a legitimate concern. If the switches are accessible enough to where they can be accidentally flipped, it's pretty much only a matter of time.

8. saltbird

saltbird Member

Good call! I'm going to send it in to EQD for repair but if that's what happened, I might have a smaller repair bill than I anticipated.

lefort_1 likes this.
  9. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Thank sucks. It's definitely something that has concerned me about all power sources with voltage switches and you just validated my paranoia.

saltbird likes this.
  10. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

Maybe you could gaffer tape the voltage switches so it doesn’t happen again?

blackba, saltbird, woof* and 2 others like this.
  11. beastly

beastly Member

I did that to an el cap once with a PP2+ and am still paranoid with my DC-5. I wish they had a little battery style cover over these switches.

saltbird likes this.
  12. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Grayhill makes those... you might be able to get the covers without the switch... I never tried:
    Grayhill 8-position Dip Switch KS-21193-L105 with Cover

13. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Every time I see this I think, "...somebody burned down my she-shed!" :D

I'm always checking the voltage switches on my Zuma, paranoid about this happening...

14. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

I once fried an EQD Depths pedal by accidentally plugging in the wrong supply. Long story short I shipped them the pedal to check out and they shipped it back to me repaired and no charge. Maybe give them a holler. ;)

saltbird likes this.
  15. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I accidentally did it the other day when swapping one pedal for another on my board. I forgot I'd plugged the other one into an 18V outlet and just plugged the new one right in without even thinking about it. I remembered fairly quickly and disconnected it. Luckily I don't think it killed it (a JHS Morning Glory) but I'm leary about using that pedal now. The lesson I learned is to always use the red cable (CS12 ships with one that's red on both ends) when I'm running out of 18V so it's instantly recognizable as such.

I'm with the OP that those kinds of dip switches should be deeply recessed or otherwise have some kind of cover to keep them from being switched inadvertently. That's just terrible design given the intended purpose. The CS12 has a bank of tiny dip switches on the bottom which are presumably less likely to get flipped, but even those I wish had some kind of cover just in case.

frankencat and saltbird like this.
  16. fitzo

fitzo Silver Supporting Member

I did it twice, accidentally bumping a Zuma power voltage selector to 18V from the center position 9V. I finally cut teensy pieces of Dual Lock and placed it on either side of the three way toggle top and bottom so it was movement-restricted. The Dual Lock is strong enough and tall enough to prevent accidents and sticky enough it stays even in tiny pieces. Peels off readily enough if I intentionally want 12 or 18V.

Gratitudes to Menatone and XTS for correcting my f-ups for nothing more than return postage.

saltbird and Gevalt like this.
  17. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I never understood why they even put those switches on power supplies. Just make each jack do one voltage. For that matter, why do pedals even have different voltages and polarities?

18. LPSupreme11

LPSupreme11 Member

Thats why I sold my Walrus Pheonix power supply.
    The switches for everything are too easy to switch, didnt want to take a chance.

19. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

I put a little square of velcro over the switches on my Truetone CS6.

20. downburst82

downburst82 Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    If I remember correctly the Chameleon only has 2 outputs that switch to 18v the others switch to 12v. So that might be another reason the other pedals survived.
    Also the switches are recessed a bit aren't they?
    I had one briefly years ago before outgrowing it but I don't remember the switches sticking out or anything.

*edit*

Only 1 output goes to 18v actually.

It the picture its how I remember it being with the switches slightly recessed but I can also see how they could still be bumped by accident.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019