WEM 4x12" identity and info help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dragonrose, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dragonrose

Dragonrose Member

Hi all, i've had this cab for a while now, i used to run my laney vh100r thru it but when i changed heads and got a different cab this one went into retirement. So its just been stood going to waste, thought id try and sell it but having no luck so if i can find some more info out maybe it will help it sell.

The nearest i can tell is its a 'WEM STARFIRE SUPER 80' as seen here:
    Code:
    http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins/speaker/super.html
    In that description it says
    I think its that model since the cab is rated at 12ohms (with each speaker inside rated at 16ohms) and it had remains of that cloth from the picture on it when i first got it, as thats the only wem cab that was available in 12ohms .

Cosmetically i cant identify the cab since it needs a new grill cloth, and new tolex. The speakers, all internals and cab shell how ever are in perfect condition, theres a serial on the rear but Google reveals nothing.

Heres some pics of the insides:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the sticker inside for inspection has not time or date on it, which doesnt help.

so can anybody confirm that it is a starfire super 80?
    Were the 12ohm specials for anybody with the cash or just for bands?
    Can anybody tell what speaker models they are?

Thanks, Dave

2. buckkillr8

buckkillr8 Member

Based on just the internal pics you have. It appears to be a 80. The ohms wasn't always a set in stone thing and near the end they put out whatever. Since there's no name or date on the Rawson sticker, it's a late production. They started to not bother with signing them anymore. Although it's not uncommon to find some initials in pencil somewhere inside the cab. I have a few with initials like this.

3. notaguitarplaye

notaguitarplaye Member

Are there codes on the speakers anywhere that you can see apart from16 ohns and 93.

4. Dragonrose

Dragonrose Member

No, theres not a single code anywhere on the speakers, and despite alot of searching i cant find any inf on these at all. Might be throwing this up on ebay soon.