Went ampless for the first time this past Saturday: Need opinions!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by phillybri, Feb 9, 2015.

1. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

So, I went w/o an amp for the first time this past Saturday. I just ran my pedalboard straight into the PA. It felt very weird, and in my opinion sounded "off".

Here's a clip:

[video=youtube_share;sNcrW8rR3PA]http://youtu.be/sNcrW8rR3PA[/video]

What do I need to add to my signal chain in order to emulate the nice warm tone I get from my Bugera V22? I've gotten a lot of advice and I really want to get this right.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Can't see the video, but why don't you just use the amp?

3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

4. phillybri

Thanks!

5. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

Just gotta get Kemper... JK. Ummm a pod or Tech 21s thing would work, still would sound off though. Nothing can make up for a good tube amp.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The dirt was okay, but the clean was a bit sterile. If you don't have any kind of amp emulation going on, probably one of the Tech 21 character pedals would work for you.

7. JiveTurkey

After listening; I don't hear anything wrong, tonally speaking, from the audience's perspective. The tone is actually pretty fat. Maybe a little congested sounding in the mids? That could very well be the camera audio as well. Maybe it is just you needing to get used to the different tone you are getting direct. Also, maybe your monitoring situation needs re-evaluated?

8. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

no punch, kind of dulls off when you hit your power chords to me, lead tone is ok, but once again no punch and a bit shrill without any real substance to the signal. Just my take. I have gigged with a Boss VF-1 processor into the board but also ran a line to a small combo like either Electroharmonix .22Cal stompbox amp and a single 12 or a Roland Cube or Blues Junior or Pro Junior to give me some punch and better feel and I can take some guitar out of the monitor closest to me

9. JiveTurkey

The role of guitar in the overall sound in a band is not what it used to be either. I remember playing original metal, 5150 cranked to about 4 and basking in the glory. 6 years later I am playing my pedalboard into a 25 watt solid state combo sounding like an angry mosquito and the soundman saying "sounds awesome; no need for more stage volume". Make the best of the situation I guess :)

10. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

Impossible to tell from that video-- which means it may have been perfectly fine live.

What pedalboard? Did you have an amp/speaker sim running? DI?

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't sound to bad, TBH it's too loud in the mix IMHO. Vocals are most important and gotta be up and out front, also can't hear the chick singer AT ALL. Male lead needs to work on his balance :)
    Are you using any type of cab sim? I would run the board into a Tech 21 blonde or Liverpool (or a Joyo clone) and utilize all of your pedals.

12. phillybri

I did not have an amp/speaker sim running. Here's the chain on my pedalboard:

TC Polytune Mini > 95 Crybaby wah > MXR Custom Comp > Fulltone OCD > Wampler Pinnacle > EP Booster > EHX Pitch Fork > MXR Analog Chorus > MXR Micro Flanger > MXR EVH Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

That was plugged straight into the PA...

13. phillybri

I've been thinking about the Tech 21 Blonde. Where would that fall in my chain?

14. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

Guitar --> pedalboard --> Tech21 --> PA console

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

All of that as captured by the video, of course. Not necessarily as the audience heard it.

16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Before the delay. The character pedals work great for what you seem to be wanting to do. I rather like the Leeds pedal for this and its in my back board that I schlep to gigs in case the amp picks up local Latin radio (it happens) or the Axe Fx takes a dive (hasn't happened, but better safe...).

17. straightblues

straightblues Member

What are you trying to achieve by going ampless? If you let us know what your goals are then maybe we could give you better feedback. IMHO, an ampless setup will never sound as good on stage as a tube amp. But I could see lots of reasons to go that direction and maybe you are fulfilling all of those other needs. You always have to give up something to get something else. Life is a compromise. (Players that must have 100 watt Marshall stacks blaring give up being able to play most places. But many would argue they have the best tone. But very few people here use them.)

18. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

Sweet Jesus. I can picture the ear-splitting fizz! Please don't do that.

Playing into a PA can be a very good thing. I often do it. But you need impede cd matching and cab sim.

I use a Behringer active DI box, which send my guitar out as an XLR output. And it also has a switchable can sim. It was only $30!

19. phillybri

I'm the only one in the band playing through an amp at this point. Our drummer even plays an electronic kit. My stage volume is a problem when it comes to mixing our sound.

20. frennis

frennis Member

From what I could tell, it didn't sound bad at all. Good advice on the Tech 21 stuff though, it will sound better than going straight from your pedal board. Check out the Tech 21 FlyRig for $100 more than the single pedals...

A friend's whole band played last week through old school PODs, sounded fine.