Went into Norms Rare Guitars and as I walked in I heard some great guitar playing. Oz Noy!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I new who he was right away But I went on my mission checking out guitars. I was sitting on the couch playing es 390-p-90 and he walks up to me saying he never saw one before. So we chatted it up. I gave him my Real Esate AZ highways-esq calendar which is very cool and he dug it. Then as I was leaving he walks up to me and give me an OZ Noy pick.:aok Very down to Earth guy and very approachable.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Killer player.

Did you leave picking up anything?
Had to read your easy question 5 times and kept interpreting it as, did I pick up any licks from OZ? No. I did not buy anything but a shirt for a friend. I was thinking of asking if they would take my 54ri, ALL Gold mint LP in trade for the es-390/p90. But then I imagined that I'd have to give some cash plus my guitar for a $1900 guitar. I didn't feel like going through the anxiety or the loss. They had awesome pieces. They have early 60's Epi melody makers that are killer in the $1800.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Had to read your easy question 5 times and kept interpreting it as, did I pick up any licks from OZ?

Sorry mate, I meant did you buy a guitar.

Next time I'm over in the US I have to go check out Norm's.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I use to ride my bike for almost an hour to get to Norms first shop. I was probably around 15. All I can remember was this guy with big black glasses and a fro staring me down. I asked him about it and he had a couple of incidents with theft way back. But hey, back then, every guitar shop owner stared you down. Kids didn't buy guitars, their adult parents did. And they decided a lot about what guitar you got. You really had limited input. This is my observation of those times. You got the stare down at Guitar center on Sunset,(when there was only one in the world).Ace Musc in Santa Monica, Baxter & Northrup in the Valley. Man it was intimidating to walk into stores. It affected me in a strange way which actually works fairly well.When you would walk into a store and say there was a row of Strats Teles maybe 12-15. I would give a quick strum on each guitar. But I didn't know what I was looking for. I just wanted to pluck it without the owner getting on my case. Guess what, I still do it today. But now I am extremely seasoned. If the like the ring of the guitar, I might be inclined to pick it up. But I will walk up to the coolest of guitars. If I don't hear that ring, it can stay right where it is.

Bluesful Norms isn't the only Duck in the pond. Just in the valley are Norms, La Vintage and about 3-4 other small shops that have a great vibe and inventory of great product. You almost have to where a baby bib to keep the drool off your shirt. I am glad OZ was there. Dave Grohl lives nearby, Tom Petty and all the rock guys in LA geek at all these stores. Watch Norms films. I thought maybe Norm would have shot a Video with OZ NOY.

One thing I learned at Norms a couple of years ago_OLD WOOD. Norm has great pieces of acoustic guitars that are sometimes freak. I was trying a 46? Gibson LG1. Loud as a cannon for its size and mouth quenching tone. I have a 65 and I was stunned. I asked the guy behind the counter and he gave me the most sincere answer saying,"OLD WOOD.

soldersucker

"One thing I learned at Norms a couple of years ago_OLD WOOD. Norm has great pieces of acoustic guitars that are sometimes freak. I was trying a 46? Gibson LG1. Loud as a cannon for its size and mouth quenching tone. I have a 65 and I was stunned. I asked the guy behind the counter and he gave me the most sincere answer saying,"OLD WOOD"
So true i picked up a Gibson Bluesking awhile back and thought it was a good sounding acoustic.Until i found a 46 LG2 beat to Sh&t by a preacher back in the day.
Light like Balsa and it has that tone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom