Went looking for a modeler; came home with a Rebel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jack Dotson, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I went to the local GC today to try some modeling pedals and amps, but before I got to try any I spotted shiny new Egnator Rebel. Wow! What a great little amp. This little rascal has a ton of different tones and sounds good from bedroom levels to loud. Loud enough for small gigs for sure, but since I'm just a bedroom noodeler I was really blown away by the low level performance.

There is just about any sound I could want with two distinctly different tube sounds or a unique sound with both combined. Tone controls that are very effective and bright and tight switches which give yet another totally different sound to whatever you have dialed in.

I was thinking to myself if there is an effects loop I'm in trouble. Looked on the back and there is was. GC had a sale going on this weekend and I was able to get 10% off so I had to take it home. Didn't have a choice. :D

I was playing through Egnator's 2X12 cab and it also sounded very good, but I thought it was a bit much for the house so I have them bringing me in the 1X12. I know nothing about the cabs except they're closed back. Don't even know what speakers they use, but they sounded darned good with the amp, so who cares? They definitely have a Celestian vibe to them, but I could be wrong. I'll have to do some research on the amp and cab to figure out exactly what I bought.

Anyhow, just very excited about this great little amp and had to share my joy.

2. ned911

ned911 Member

Definitely want to get one even though I've got a Mod50. Facing a layoff so I gotta save the cash.

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I went to GC to try the Rebel. They only had one, and it kept blowing fuses, so I never got to actually play the darn thing.

4. John Ewing

John Ewing Member

Which GC? I'm unaware so if you could let me know I'll find out why. Thanks.
    john

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

The one in South Portland Maine.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Congratulations on the new amp, Jack!

I haven't been in a music store in years, so I won't likely get to try one but those are very interesting amps.

Enjoy!

7. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Not good! So far mine is fine. Hope that one you played was just a lemon and that these don't have issues. They are first run, so I have my fingers crossed.

As stated previously, I'm waiting for the 1X12 cab so I currently have it plugged into Jensen speaker of my DRRI. Doesn't sound nearly as good as the Egnater cab I played at GC. Seems like that cab is a good match for this head. We'll see how it sounds in my room. Hoping for the best.

8. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Probably just a bad tube. You'd think replacing some tubes would be an idea hey ?