Went Pedal Crazy!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TaronKeim, Feb 21, 2006.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I ordered some pedals that do swirly stuff... and some pedals that do some burnin' stuff.

I ordered:

Moogerfooger MuRF 105 w/expression and tap tempo pedals

Studio Electronics Phaser

Electro-Harmonix Graphic Fuzz (because I've been meaning to for years)

Okko Double Diablo Custom (two Okko Diablo pedals in one box, each with two adjustable/footswitchable levels of gain... four gain levels, two seperate eq's and ALL footswitchable... AWESOME)

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm... I'm also waiting to pick up a Zvex Ringtone, Zvex Tremorama and the Demeter DD-1 Double Overdrive.

What you all got coming?

-TJK

P.S Plus I just received a Landmine Distortion pedal which is really great for 90's grunge/sludge/metal tones... does a pretty decent Van Halen too... but I wouldn't say that in public!

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

WOW...that custom OKKO will be badass!
    Just got a Semaphore and Memory Lane in...both have impressed me greatly!
    Looking at the Ringtone also...looks like fun!
    Other than that...I'm pretty much done..if I could just find that one fat, thick rhythm fuzz that doesn't get lost in the mix...I could die happy!

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yes, that OKKO WILL be badass... I ordered one with some different 'customizations' (paint, name, I/O jack relocation), and it arrived on Friday. Similar to the BJF EGDM, I had to turn down the internal presence trimmer. Once that was done, holy-shamolies... GREAT pedal! You're gonna love it!

And in-line with your question, I have a BJF PGC coming, a Weber Z-Matcher, and hopefully Mojotone will be done modding my Fender amp in a couple weeks and I'll have it back.

-Ben

4. solo-act

solo-act Member

I know very little about pedals. SO, you got me on the OKKO pedal.

I went on a recent shopping spree and picked up four BJF pedals.
    Emerald Green Distortion Machine
    Honey Bee
    Little Green Wonder
    Sea Blue EQ

Been told they should ship this week.
    --E

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Awesome Nerve, I've stillbeen trying to find a fuzz that doesn't get lost in the mix completely, if I had any advice to give you at all though, I'd say go with Silicon and not Germanium... it compresses less and has a more cutting high-end, something like the FoxRox Hot Silicon Fuzz or the Euthymia Crucible Fuzz Si would definately be up your alley. I have a Roland BeeBaa clone done by Prophecy Sound Systems that cuts like a mofo in some settings.

-TJK

6. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Cool, where did you get them?

Joe

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Sweet man, I don't see many people around who know about the Okko stuff, looked at it a long time ago and back then, it wasn't a sound I was looking for, now I've been listening to the sound clips for weeks and can't stop thinking about it. If you had to knock the presence trimmer down a bit, I might have to as well, as my LoVo Lead 55 is already a little bright... but thats cause I have too many George L's in the signal path right now, the Evidence Audio stuff on it's own makes my amp perfect:D

You'll have to tell us abou the BJF PGC... doesn't get a lot of reviews around here. What model Fender you get modded?

-TJK

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Kick ass! BJF stuff gets mad reviews around here... have never felt the need for any of the tones they get besides the Mint Mini-Vibe which I might have to bite on one of these days.

http://www.stompbox.de/ is the site for the Okko stuff if you want to give it a look. Heiko is a great dude to deal with.

-TJK

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Right now I'm using Evidence Melody cables for long runs and Bill Lawrence cable on the p-board, so that retains my highs... and the Electrosonic Neptune head I'm running right now (6L6+E34L + EF86) is pretty clear although not terribly bright or anything. But even on my Hot Rod DeVille I had to knock the presence down a notch on the EGDM, and the HRD isn't exactly a bright amp by any means. It just may be a sonic preference!

As far as the amp being modded... y'all can laugh right now if you want to... but I'm having the DeVille converted into a head and 2x12 cab... Vintone did something similar with a Hot Rod Deluxe. The difference is that my cab will be like a Bob Burt V-Front, and I've decided to go with green levant tolex + Marshall salt & pepper for the grillcloths.

I'll try to post something re: the PGC whenever it shows up on one of the existing compressor threads... I ordered it 2 weeks ago, so it should be here sometime soon.

-Ben

(oh, and you HAVE to post a pic of that Double Diablo when it arrives!!)

10. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Question on the Evidence.....how stiff are they? are they user friendly or a pain?

Joe

11. solo-act

solo-act Member

Just email Dean at Leomuser@aol.com He's a moderator here his user "name" is PinkStrat. He's a friend of Bjorn the creator and builder of BJF pedals. He'll get them shipped to you direct from the source.

--E

12. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

I think you (original poster) will be happy wiht the graphic fuzz. My friend uses it on bass and it sounds very full. Seems to be extremely versatile with the EQ options.

13. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

It has always gotten really stellar reviews, and an old guitar friend of mine had one, and it was so much quieter than the Big Muff Pi at the same gain settings it almost blew my mind. I can't wait to plug my 5-string into it either!

-TJK

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Just to clarify, this is re: the Melody version of their cable.

I think Planet Waves cables lay really well and aren't stiff. So let's call them a "2" on a 1-10 scale of stiffness. Klotz LaGrange are a "9" since they're VERY rigid... I could never use them out unless I was sitting or standing in one position. Spectraflex Standards are around a "5".

Given those frames of reference, I'd say the EA Melody is a solid '6'. I haven't 'broken them in' yet, but I can tell they'll get more flexible with time, and slip into the '5' range. It IS a coax kind of cable, so it's naturally going to have the flex/kink issues, but they're honestly not that bad and I'm really anal about cable that lays well and isn't in my way.

I can't answer how they'll be for you (user friendly or a pain), but let's say that for me they're not the friendliest cables out there, but are a totally useable compromise for the tone and rugged build.

-Ben

15. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

I got my OKKO Diablo last weekend. What an incredible pedal! Took me a little while to get it dialed in, but once I did, it rips. I'm gonna get another one later this spring/summer w/ a few more options. Everyone should own one of these. 18 volts is the key!!!!!!

I also got a Timmy 2 weeks ago and an all silicon Hellbilly a few days ago. I won't gush over the Timmy since everyone knows already.
    The Si 'Billy is the bee's knees!! I've never been much of a fuzz guy, but this thing is perfect for me. I'm using it to goose the Diablo for a sustained, biting lead tone. Can get a little spitty and gated in a good way. Sounds amazing on it's own too. Sorta bridges the gap between od and fuzz. A completely different creature than my McFuzz. It's a bit more hi-fi, if you will, not as wooly as the McFuzz.

As far as stuff on the way, I've got a Ram Head and a custom dist box coming from D*A*M. Soon, very soon.

Also in the very early planning/discussion stages w/ Bjorn for a custom OD. Hell yes.

16. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I've got a Line6 Echopark on the way that will be sent right back. Just bought a Echoplex EP3.:rolleyes: Also have a Teese Picture Wah with Foxrox Retrofit coming and a Ampeg V4 Head. Waiting is tough!