Went to check out a Budda, came home with a Shiva

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kselbee, Jul 17, 2005.

1. kselbee

kselbee Member

I went to check out a Budda Superdrive 80 this weekend and really liked it a lot, but thought for the price tag I should absolutely love it. I was all ready to walk out of the store when I saw a Bogner Shiva sitting there and decided to plug in. I had a Shiva in the past but sold it and always regretted it. Well 2 minutes in I knew I was going home with it. It's got the BEST clean I've ever heard, and the crunch has so much character. Just thought I'd spread the Shiva love a bit.

2. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

Yeah, I love me shiva too, also use a bogner metropolis, both have got the good stuff. cheers

3. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Neither of those amps get much love lately, but they are both modern classics, IMO. I have the SD80. I prefer it slightly over a Shiva, but I wouldn't mind having a Shiva either. Then again, the Budda was a much easier decision when I bought mine 3 years ago and they were $1520 new. Congrats on the new amp!

4. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well as many of you know I've got both amps.
    The Budda is the by far the better amp for me.....I really have given the shiva a good run.....for over a year now but still it gets smoked by my budda.
    Even our bands sound guy says ....bring back the budda and he's got a taste for good tone.
    At gigs the Budda gets the love.......it gets way more compliments from the audience.......and it's a hands down winner with my bandmates aswell........so why should I argue with all those facts:D
    I don't dislike the Shiva....but for my personal needs The Budda just gels so well with my playing style........and realizing there are so many playing styles out there........it may not be everyones fav.
    Enjoy your new Shiva

Cheers
    Rick

5. Ken

Ken Member

We all have different wants as far as tone...I tried a Budda 80 a couple years ago and although it was a solid amp, when I got back home the Shiva was just felt right for me.

I want to try an Orange amp soon!

And the Shiva is getting quite a bit of TV time lately with the show Rockstar: INXS and on the country side Keith Urban has started playing one too.

6. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

What store did you go to?

7. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

IMO, you can't go wrong with anything Bogner makes... congrats and enjoy!!!

8. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Agreed. Bogner makes great stuff. Not for everyone but I find all models to be awesome. Recently picked up a 6L6 head with extra volume control for boost channel and a matching 1X12 cab and It sounds great.

9. devbro

devbro Member

Glad you're enjoying your Shiva. I too am a recent Shiva convert. Just scored an oversize 2x12 last weekend to go with my EL34 head. That cab sounds HUGE!

My only regret is that I struggled for so many years trying to get blood out of my Mesa Boogie turnip. :rolleyes:

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The little bit of time I've spent with one, I found the shiva too compressed on the dirt. My Budda SD80 is compressed, but not as much as the Shiva. I didn't really compare clean tones. the Budda is basically a one channel amp as I can never get the channels to match volume even after the mods.

11. kselbee

kselbee Member

Midwest Music & Pro Audio. I went to the only Budda dealer in Ohio and luckily they had Bogner too!

12. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I figured you went to see Uncle Rusty. He's my favorite dealer and I consider him a friend first and foremost. I hope he treated you well. I find it amazing how far people will travel to see him especially for Suhr guitars. He can hardly keep them in stock. Enjoy your amp.

13. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

What's up with Midwest?? Do they now have amps in stock? I went down there about a year and a half ago and they had like one or two crate amps sitting on the floor of big empty room! There were 2 guys sitting in there and mumbled something about financial problems or whatever.

14. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Yes they went through some difficulty a few years ago. they are a boutique dealer and have Budda, Matchless, Bad Cat and Bogner among some cheap lines such as Kustom, tech 21 and some others. They are a Suhr, G&L, Grosh, Zion, Santa Cruz, Avalon, L Benito guitar dealer and also have Jay Turser and other cheap lines. They are a Fulltone and T rex effects dealer too. They have a full line of nice basses too Suhr, Warrior, Glockenclang(sp?) and others. They are a small shop located downstairs from where the showroom used to be. They do not have a large inventory, but usually have a bunch of guitars and amps and effects on order. They turn the inventory over quite quickly and often items are sold before they hit the floor. Go visit Rusty if you are into any of the lines he carries or just give him a call 513-631-8318 he is there tues-sat 11-7. It's basically a one man shop so he may not always have a ton of time to chat, but if you're local stop in, he's fun to BS with.

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Sounds like a cool store. I'm on the northcoast (Lake Erie) how far is it to Midwest? What city?

16. Buckeyedog

Buddastrat.....would be a long way. It's in Cincinnati.

17. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Yeah it's pretty far, but people from Michigan come down more often than I would think they would. Usually they have called on something they have seen on the website then come down to try/buy.

http://www.midwestmusicproaudio.com/

18. Buckeyedog

Looks like they have their act back together again. May have to make another trip down soon. It's a little over an hour from Fairborn.

19. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

The website is not updated very often so if there is something in particular you're wanting to check out call Rusty first and make sure it's there before making the trip.

20. Willie

Willie Member

Good to hear from people in Cinci - Yeah Midwest has a nice Budda/Bogner/Badcat selection - also can't beat Mike's for vintage, my fave vintage shop in the country - amazing selection of amps and guitars - but be prepared to haggle -