went to Lark St (Rambler content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DrSax, May 8, 2005.

1. DrSax

DrSax Member

For any jersey-ites who haven't been to Lark St. Music in Teaneck, it's a pretty cool place! I went specifically to try out a Carr Rambler, but also spent alot time playing their great selection of archtops and acoustics.

So I spent about an hour with the Rambler, both with a Les Paul (my main guitar) and a strat. I was really hoping to fall in love with it, as it's such an attractive package (fairly light, really well built, non master volume, a nice 20something watts, etc.) It's a nice piece, but I had real issues with the bass response. Very flubby/flabby. I spent a long time tweaking knobs, but could not get a nice tight bass. That is the ONLY thing, to my ear, that was lacking. The tremolo and reverb were both sweet. Overall the tone is very sweet, but once you start chugging some Chuck Berryisms on the bass strings, for example, it's a mess. I wonder if a speaker change would help with that? I wouldn't completely give up on the Rambler if I heard this is something that could be improved somehow.

2. Shemp

Shemp Member

I dropped a Cannabis Rex and then a Weber Cali in mine. Both cured the problem. The Kingpin is a POS.

3. DrSax

DrSax Member

well that's good news! As I say, I really love everything about the amp otherwise.....

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Last time I was in Lark Street, may have been the LAST time I was in Lark street. Nice stuff, but a really creepy vibe from the staff, no one wanted to help me and they do not (that I saw) have a blast room. I was playing a Bad Cat that was in the acoustic room, all the guitars and dobros were ringing, plus I was afraid to turn up cause it was like a library in that place. I have had other friends with bad experiences there as well, and they bought some substancial gear.

5. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Yea, strange vibe there.......The owner spends all his time on the web looking for vintage gear, and most of the gear there is not well taken care of......the guitars are all badly adjusted, old strings...bang into each other because they are too close together.....not my favorite spot....its not as if they love what they do there

6. davebc

davebc Member

Man,I'm shocked.Buzz might have appeared slightly aloof that day,but I can assure all of you that he truly a straight up great individual.I know he would be very concerned to think customers actual were getting that kind of vibe.

I've know buzz for probably 20 years.Lark Street Music was originally located on Lark Street here in Albany,Trust me,there isn't a musician within a 100 miles who doesn't miss it.It was literally like walking into a museum,an absolute dream.Where else could you walk in, plug a 59 burst into an old Bluesbreaker or tweed Twin,put it down and pick up a pre-war Martin,or DeAngelico?

Buzz has a very laid back,extremely low pressure selling approach.He figures if your interested you'll ask him for help.It's very unusual in the day and age of high pressure sales.Try not to confuse it with not being interested in doing business with anyone.

7. tclardy

tclardy Member

I have had one for about two years. I love the amp except for the loose low end. After doing some research and consulting with Ted Weber I decided to try a Weber California in it.

I have only played it about 4 hours but so far results are good. Much tighter low end. I am going to run a looper on it all day tomorrow to help speed up break in but it looks good so far.

I don't know why Steve Carr stays with the Kingpin, I didn't like it either. Maybe it is that he sells them to monstly blues players and the ones I know seem to like real smokey, flabby low end.

Tim

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I like Buzz.

His bro is quite a picker, too.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

And I like the Carr Rambler as it ships.

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I actually loved his laid back approach. He set me up in that room with all the banjos, sure it rang but I was able to crank it without being interrupted by any sales pitch. I was in there for an hour testing it out and loved being left alone (I knew what i was looking for!). When I did ask questions, he was great.

So, anyways, I may check into buying a different speaker. It's a great amp, it's a shame the flabbo bottom end stopped me from pulling the trigger.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I miss Lark St! I went there from about 1978 til the late 90's (20 years!!) when it was in Albany ,and then they moved.. As for Buzz being laid back , yep you guys are right. I could go in that Albany store and never have anyone ask me anything at all. That's what I like.. I HATE salesmen that won't leave you alone , or say things like "this one's great , it's what I have at home!" .. When I'm in a store I want to be left alone unless I ask someone a question. Anyway, Lark Street was just like the old Daddy's (before they expanded) and then the Guitar Gallery in NH ,etc where you used to be able to get great deals.. That was PRE INTERNET and PRE -everyone using the internet. . There are NO MORE deals in stores like those.. They have the same prices as anyone else and lots of times the little stores even have higher prices. MAJOR BUMMER.. Anyway, just reminiscing as I loved that store for many years

ERIC

12. davebc

davebc Member

If I wasn't for Lark Street Music in Albany,I would have never had the opportunity to play so many unbelievable amps and guitars,old bursts,old plexi's,every old tweed amp ever made,old Vox's,Old Martins all years all models,old Strats,Teles,old Blond 335's,$150,000.00 archtops..Now we have a Guitar Center.

Buzz,I'm beggin you,,come back!! So what if the neighborhood has completely turned to ****!
    Get your friggin ass back here!

13. Big Dan

Big Dan Member

I went to Lark St. last year for the first time ever! I was down in NY and a friend of mine took me out to all the great local guitar stores. Buzzy seemed real cool to me. He had some awesome gear, that's for sure. I spent quite some time in the acoustic room with an old Gibson Tweed, a '66 Guild Duane Eddy Semi-Hollow, and a '59 Epi LP Jr. I wanted to take them all home, but settled on a $15 shirt instead.

Guitar Gallery is still a cool place too. Your not gonna find any great deals there, but the staff is great.

Dan

14. cold_fusion

cold_fusion Suspended

personally, I can't stand any clean to semi-clean amp that is weak in the low end department.....I like a nice punchy thick compressed sounding lows that can stand up to palm muting and jazzy low cords like 2x22xx 1x12xx 020200 x02220 which is the first four chords to a great early 70's tune....:confused:

15. Den

Den Member

Before you try a speaker change, you may want to try a solution that works great for me. I've found that the EQ on My TIM pedal does a great job fattening and tightening the low end on my Rambler. Works great with all my guitars as well as stacked with other pedals.

16. joel

joel Member

Cold Fusion,
    Which amp does deliver for that tone? thnx, /jd

17. cold_fusion

cold_fusion Suspended

My $520, before mods " vintage '71BFed Fender Bandmaster Reverb Head does...with the right caps, tubes and speakers :D
    Once you figure out how to EQ it, which is really simple...treb and mids on 5ish and bass on 2 to 3..crank it to the edge which is about 5 or half way...and you're set!!! With a humbucker switch the bright switch on and turn it down a little and with singles leave the bright switch off...put the verb on 3ish and add a little trem for certain thing and your set!! However I'm excited to AB it with a '60s 30 watt Ampeg Gemini II G-15 with a 1-15 speaker and the weird tubes to see what all that fuss is about... esp regarding the verb and trem as well as the darker tone... hoping to run them in tandem for the ultimate clean tone setup!!!!:
    cowabunga!!!!

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Same problem I had. Even with a Strat or Tele, it flubs. It sounded great until I put it next to a few vintage blackface amps, a HR deluxe, and a Bruno. Then it was all over.

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Buzz is one of the nicest guys I have ever done business with. A true gentleman. Just crank the amp up! I have been there when guys were flat out whaling, and not a peep from Buzz. He is so laid back, he almost seems shy. Totally a NO pressure, play whatever you like, kind of guy. That is A1 in my book! :AOK

20. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

oh yeah, I used to go to the old Daddy's in Portsmouth NH, back in the late 70's, like walking into the world's biggest music gear yard sale :dude