Went to maken music today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Jul 28, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Bought a Maxon Flanger so I didnt feel as guilty trying out amps.

Amps I liked
    Bogner Shiva
    TopHat super deluxe(I loved this amp best cleans I have ever heard will buy it next)
    Custom audio OD 100, now I know why these are so popular

Amps I though were good but not on my wish list any time soon
    65 Amps Soho, decent but not first choice
    Top Hat supreme 16, cool sounding but liked the stuff above better

The one amp I just dint really carefor is the Fuchs Overdrive supreme. Maybe I wasnt dialing it in right but it just wasnt for me, so atleast I know now dumble type amps are not for me.

I spent about 2 hours there and again everyone there at Maken music is top notch and very friendly, great to talk to and always willing to go the extra mile to assist you.

2. singular

singular Member

I bought a Tophat Super Deluxe a few months ago and am delighted with it. Great amp with fantastic tonal capabilities, play around with the eq and you'll find a number of cool sounds.

I see you're in Downer's too, do you play in the Ballydoyle at all?

3. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

No, but I live right by there, My wifes pediatrician practice is next store to there. Dont play out at all, Hvaent played out since 18 do to arm injury

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

How long will the TH Deluxe stay clean? When does the dirt come in?

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

+1 for Maken. Teddy and crew are top notch and he has been known to drop by our little page now and again. I bought a used Star combo from them a couple years back. Since then Teddy has actually talked me out of buying a couple amps. Don't even mention Louis Electric though or you'll end the conversation with an order slip and a new amp on the way :AOK To the OP, did you try any Louis stuff?

6. jekyll & hyde

jekyll & hyde Member

I too was at Maken today! I played through a couple of amps:

Louis Electric: HSM-12 & Ferrari
    DrZ: EZG 50
    Victoria: Golden Melody

I brought along a Tone King Meteor II 40W as a point of reference. I was
    looking for an amp with stellar cleans. To me all of the amps were good
    but still did not compare to the TK. The Vic. was closest. To be fair,
    the Ferrari is el-34 so it's cleans were no match with the 6L6 or 6v6 amps.
    I did however expect more from the Louis amps with all the hype that
    these amps get around here. I've played the Tophats before, to me the TK still sounds better. I still think the TK MII and the Bruno Cow 45 offer the best cleans!! I wanted to try a Fuchs Clean Machine but it wasn't in stock yet.

7. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

No, I didnt get around to trying out any of the Louis stuff, but Teddy told me the Ferrari one was they was to go.

The Tophat super deluxe didnt really have to much break up at all, with the volume dimed it wasnt really all to overdriven or anything.

I think I am leaning 60 % Custom audio amp OD 100 and 40% Bogner shiva for next purchase though. I have a feeling though the OD100 would sound to much like my Soldano SLO 100, so maybe I shouldnt consider that amp.

8. sam30328

sam30328 Member

Took over a week to dial in my Fuchs ODS 50--was very disappointed at first, but now its one of my top 2 after going through 40.Many of the pull boost only cloud the clarity of this amp, and the input, output settings are critical--too much of either and you distort and lose definition on both clean and od channels.

Sam

9. JEMT

JEMT Member

I lived in Chicago for a year and a half doing graduate work a little over a year ago. Make'n Music is by far the coolest place to try out gear. They're never pushy or snobby and are always happy to let you try out whatever you'd like. Man, I miss that place!

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Love Make'n Music!!! Hope to go there one day... Have done business w/ Teddy a few times and it was great. About the Fuchs... yeah, I didn't like it at first, either, but I kept going back to a store that stocked them and after a few hours w/ it I really got in a GREAT sound. Awsome amps!

11. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Don't discount Dumble-style amps just because you didn't like the Fuchs. I love D-style amps, but I don't like the Fuchs ODS at all.