Went to play Heritage AC30, but what did I really find?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Veritas, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

....The Laney Lionheart series...wow. Guys, I ran a search on here and mostly came up with a number of threads discussing sound clips and everyone's general lack of actually having played one. Well...back to my point. I played the AC30 head through the Vox cab loaded with Alnicos and it was just plain beautiful. Seriously, a fantastic amp. If I'd be in the market for a Vox right now, that's what I'd get. As I was playing my eyes kept getting drawn to the Laney Lionheart 20 watt head and matching cab sitting right next to the Vox I was playing. So, after some thorough test driving through the Vox, I plugged into the Laney and to my amazement, it floored me. Another TGP'r mentioned in an earlier thread that he found it "grainy" and I'm not sure what he meant exactly...but to me it was pure rock 'n roll. With a custom shop tele, it had some of the best clean and gain tones I've heard in a while. Nice pure tone. All that to say, you guys/gals should really check one out if you get the chance. I got a chance to play the 5 watt combo as well. It was predictably not as big sounding, but it sounded great. 900 bones new for the head, not a bad deal. I expected the Vox to sound amazing, and it did...but I wasn't expecting to find a gem in the Lionheart.

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

ha, ha, suppose the custom shop tele might have added to the sound?! nice.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

Haha, shows how different we can be. I own the Heritage AC30 (which I absolutely love), and have owned the Lionheart 20W head. The Lionheart definately didn't do it for me, although I really, really wanted it to (perfect combinatin of size, wattage, features, build, price etc). In fact, I suspect I may have been the culprit in describing it as "grainy" in ealier threads.

I really should have tried it through the Laney cab though. My cab at the time was not the best (a 9" deep 2x12 closed back). Maybe I'll give it another chance through the matching Laney cab.
    One thing I definately remember was the lack of clean headroom, which didn't bother me but would bother some.
    The amps are well priced in the UK. Yes, I'll definately give another one a try, with the matching cab when I next have the opportunity.

4. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

You know, if I had the choice of the Heritage AC30 or Lionheart...I'd take the AC30. However, still, the Lionheart really surprised me. Also, hamfist, I think it would be worth it for you to try it through the matching cab. I can imagine that it wouldn't have the best clean headroom in a band context, but if I bought it it would be for rocking out, so no biggie.

5. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I'm looking at either the Laney or the AC15 Heritage (head), does the Laney get into the vox tone area at all (chimey...)?

6. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

If you want the Vox chime sound, buy a Vox. I learned the hard way after chasing that sound in a bunch of other amps that were supposed to get in that tone area. There is nothing like the real deal. If you buy something that sort of gets close, your ear will always be wanting to hear that extra that the amp can't do, and then you'll just sell it and buy the Vox (or like so many others, another amp that gets close, and another amp that gets close, and then you realize you should just buy the Vox).

Just my opinion. You can take it or leave it, but if you think you want the Vox chime, start with the Vox. If it doesn't do it for you, then there are about a hundred other amps to try. But it's really a beating to play through the hundred amps to find out you should have just started with the amp that they were all based on.

D

7. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

How loud is the clean channel on the head? Can you play large venue through a PA or with it or unmiced at a smallbar?