Went to see Soul Asylum, but Local H obliterated them.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by makeitstop, Feb 20, 2020.

1. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

My wife and I got tickets to see Soul Asylum and Local H at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC last night. I was looking forward to seeing Pirner and the band, but my wife was absolutely stoked to see Local H. She had seen them years ago, I'd never seen them and wasn't familiar with a lot of their material outside of 'Bound For The Floor' and 'Eddie Vedder' from the As Good As Dead album. We ran into a couple of friends and were chatting until the house lights went down...

...and Soul Asylum never had a chance. Local H came on and burned the place down.

[​IMG]

Taking the stage to the strains of 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go' by Wham! (yes, really), they came out dressed like Wham! from that video and launched into one of the most intense sets I've ever seen. Scott Lucas played a modded Strat (and later a Tele) into a Matchless head and Marshall cab, a Vox AC-30 and some solid state bass head into an SVT cab, and his sound was HUGE.

Local H was the first two-man band to go big, back in the Grunge era. The prototype for Black Keys, White Stripes, and any other duo act you'd care to name, only heavier than all of them put together. Their set got progressively more manic, and by the time they finished up there was nothing left to be said.

We stayed for Soul Asylum and they sounded damn good, but after Local H they were just tame. We stayed for 4 songs and headed back to the car. On the way out, Scott Lucas was at the merch table (another thing to love about these guys - they ran their own merch and they loaded their own gear off the stage after they were done). I stopped and told him that I felt bad for Soul Asylum having to follow them every night. He shooshed me, but he was smiling.

They're coming back to NYC in June, and we're definitely going. These guys are too good to miss. They convinced me last night.

Tomo El Gato, ericb, sa1126 and 9 others like this.
  2. sleewell

sleewell Member

local H = amazing

firebird1999us, cratz2 and makeitstop like this.
  3. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

That sounds awesome! Would love to have seen that! Thx for the report!

makeitstop likes this.
  4. rolsen

rolsen Member

Did Scott L play a guitar with a bass pickup cut to just the E and A string? I think this signal goes to the bass rig but I don’t know if he uses a polyphonic octave pedal too. What did it sound like?

My band transformed into a two piece, I’m still honing in the ‘bass’ element. I split my signal to a TC Sub n’ Up, the editable software makes for greater response and tone shaping than other octave pedals. This goes to a newer Fender Rumble bass. Blended in with my guitar amp, it’s doing the trick but the chore is limiting the amount of high strings in the octaved signal.

Pidgin English and SweetClyde99 like this.
  5. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I was never much into them but saw them years ago and they killed it. Great live show.

Phil M and sleewell like this.
  6. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

I've seen Local H many times being from the Chicago area. They have put on a great show every time I have seen them.

cratz2 and makeitstop like this.
  7. stevel

stevel Member

Well, um, of course. One had a much better one hit than the other :)

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Funny to see this thread today - I literally just finished learning “Bound For The Floor” for my ‘90s band’s gig next week.

I’ve never heard anything else by them but it’s kinda cool to see that they’re still kicking around.

Pidgin English and makeitstop like this.
  9. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I always try to see them when they come around. They put on a hell of a show.

makeitstop likes this.
  10. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I would hardly call Soul Asylum a one hit wonder.

One of the best alternative bands of that decade(s).

11. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Yes, a Strat with what looked like half a P bass pickup (and a photo of his dog glued on). I asked him what the pickup was, he said he didn't know. 'Maybe a P-90? One of those big blocky ones,' he said.

He also had a Tele similarly outfitted that he used for the end of the set. The bass end was definitely sent through an octave splitter. I didn't get a look at his pedal board, but at one point it sounded like he was using a whammy pedal as well.

Both guitars had two jacks, I assume to send the 'bass' pickup to the bass rig. He was playing through a Matchless head and an ancient Marshall straight cab, an AC-30, and a bass amp (couldn't tell what it was, it was in a rack) into an SVT cab. His sound was massive.

rolsen likes this.
  12. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

The opening of the set was loaded with hits. I heard Someone To Shove, Just Like Anyone and Misery before we bailed.

They did sound good! Pirner's voice is intact and the band was tight. Just kinda sleepy after Local H set everybody's hair on fire.

TheGuildedAge likes this.
  13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

my wife and i went to see soul asylum at a free outdoor venue a few years ago. both being fans, we were excited. pirner was drunk and/or stoned and was slurring his speech and vocals. the band was really loose and rough sounding. the lead guitarist was good but it seemed like everybody was on a bad trip. we didn't stay long.

14. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Awesome review. I want to see them.

15. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

There’s a good chance I’m going to end up making a guitar like Scott’s someday soon too. I was wondering if i could get the bass pickup more centered under the strings but pull out the rods under the higher strings to control which strings the pickup is sensing. I don’t know. I’m more familiar with the construction of guitar humbuckers than bass single coils.

16. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

Only saw them once and agree. Just so powerful, and theur cover of Peter Gabriel's Shock the Monkey was AWESOME.

17. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

<cough cough Flat Duo Jets cough cough House Of Freaks cough cough>

18. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Yeah, it is.

19. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

Don't bury the lead, Man, what about the dreads? Does Pirner still have the dreads?

20. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

I really liked ‘em back in the ‘90s, glad to know they’re still kickin’!