Went to see Soul Asylum, but Local H obliterated them.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by makeitstop, Feb 20, 2020.

1. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Nope, normal old man hair now. :)

Pidgin English likes this.
  2. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

I would have walked out too.

SweetClyde99 and makeitstop like this.
  3. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

I had Local H play here last year with The Toadies.

Both bands should be filling arenas. Unreal bands.

shando98, Uncle Bob, B Money and 3 others like this.
  4. louderock

louderock Member

Worked on a few of their records back in the 1900's. Scott's a great guy and we had some good times around Atlanta.

Hush, makeitstop and Pidgin English like this.
  5. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Agreed. They had a lot of awesome songs. Somebody to Shove is actually my favorite from them. And technically they had 2 hits; Runaway Train and Misery :D

6. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Maybe he was upset that Winona Ryder got big again with Stranger Things :D

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

I guess you didn't hang long enough to know if Soul Asylum played "Shakin' Street"?

8. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Saw them in Boston. I guess I am out of it; Pirner is the only one who has remained in SA since the 90s.

Yeah, Local H was my fave of the night too. Either way, good lineup.

ericb and makeitstop like this.
  9. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

We only stayed for about 5 or 6 songs, but this set list from a couple of weeks ago tracks with what we heard. So probably not.

10. B Money

B Money Member

sounds like you need a "Little Thunder" guitar pickup. https://www.alittlethunder.com/

11. billboy73

billboy73 Member

Local H are great live! Love most of their albums. They have a new one coming out. The last one, Hey Killer was very good. I am hoping to catch them on this tour, as I would like to see Soul Asylum too.

Uncle Bob and makeitstop like this.
  12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

I didn't even know that "copacetic song" was Local-H, then "Whatever happened to PJ Soles" turned up as an Amazon prime music suggestion, and I informed myself.

makeitstop likes this.
  13. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Local H rules. Gotta love soul asylum too since they are from Mpls. I am reasonably sure one of soul asylum's guitar players is a member here -- I recall seeing him post a marshall amp for sale.

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I came so close to going to that show at the Paradise. . I love it there (even though I'm 1 of the oldest guys there!) , but I got lazy. We're 4 hours away in VT. I've seen Gary Numan, Gang of 4, and Polyphia/Chon there in the last few years, but just couldn't get my butt going on this one. .

Eric

eigentone likes this.
  15. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

A friend of mine (huge Local H fan) built a couple guitars a la Scott Lucas.

Half of a P-bass pick-up under the E and A strings, routed to its own output jack.

This "bass" output goes into an octave divider (Boss), rolled 100% wet. That goes into a bass amp.

It takes some arranging to get chords that echo a bass line, but the effect is pretty damn convincing. You think you're hearing a bass player comping with the guitar.

ericb likes this.
  16. eigentone

Getting back at 3am can be rough! :) Vermont is quite possibly the cutest state I have visited. I can't blame you for settling there even though the national acts don't drop in as often. ;)

17. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yes and 4:00 a.m. is even rougher! VT is definitely a nice State, although too expensive to live in these days. We have a club called Higher Ground in South Burlington that gets lots of good National Acts but its capacity is only about 700 so that limits those that play in the slightly larger venues. . Then we have the Flynn Theatre that gets some good variety and even the Paramount Theater in Rutland that gets some of the 60's-70's ex-famous people . I'm very used to taking trips to the Albany, NY and Boston , and Manchester/Derry, NH areas for shows. Rock on

Eric

eigentone likes this.
  18. eigentone

I am not a winter sports person but I am looking forward to getting back to VT once it gets a bit warmer. Rock on indeed!

ericb likes this.
  19. StreetwalkinCheetah

StreetwalkinCheetah Member

Somebody to Shove is a great song. I recall in 1992 very early into my dorm year at college, one of my best buds went to see them at the Paradise in Boston and came back really upset about how crap they were and how they had completely sold out. At this point Somebody was the only song I knew of theirs. I was winding down my thrash years which were basically bookended by punk rock phases. Well maybe turned out not to be a total phase.

It was not until many years later when I first got spotify that I finally heard their earlier work and understood how they fit right in with those other Mpls punk bands that shaped early alternative music and why my buddy was so upset. Incidentally at that point I pinged him about it and he didn't even recall the gig.

I wasn't super into them at the time but they are one of the bands that aged better than their contemporaries for me.

Pidgin English likes this.