went to trade a Boogie last week for another Boogie...ordered a Vibro King instead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalcr8z, Jun 16, 2008.

1. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

It shipped today and I'm pumped bigtime. Cleans were awesome and crunch was raw and organic ala Ronnie Wood and the reverb was to die for as it's placed *ahead* of the pre and it's the 6V6 driven '63 reverb simply built in. Incredibly deep and lush verb.....the entire amp presented a wonderful 3D swirling effect. I guess I'm hopelessly hooked on Fenders as my other amp is a '57 Deluxe RI that knocks my socks off also. I'm sure this thread will get the usual "it's not boutique" negative comments from a few but I've gone down that road ......several Dr Z's, Victoria's, Boogie's, Rivera's. I've learned the hard expensive way that I'm just not a master volume type guy and that simple Fenders just float my boat.

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

:agreetwo!

IMHO, when it comes to "pure tone" there's no comparison. Vibro King wins my vote hands down.

Tom

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

5. TonnyG

TonnyG Member

Vibro King is on the top of my Christmas list this year. (of course I have to buy it for myself lol) Is there any differences in picking up an older blonde one or a newer black one. I know the switched Reverb tubes don't know of any other changes.

Tonny

6. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I've always liked the Vibro King--fantastic tones and the blonde version is the best look Fender ever put on an amp. I just wish they weren't so loud-a 20 or 40 watt version would be nice.

7. Joshlespaul1952

Joshlespaul1952 Member

Congrats on your new amp. I played one recently and loved it...now I just wish I could afford it!

8. skoora

skoora Member

I agree. I recently got their Tweed Twin reissue and love that amp. I played a few Vic's, Carr's and a Tone King meteor (awesome rock amp) and the Twin just had it all in spades. I'm a long time Marshall/Gibson guy but my Gibsons are sounding super sweet into that NMV Fender.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've been scoping out VK's lately as well. I'm about 2/3 of the way thru the 4000+ posts thread over at FDP. It's like reading a friggin' novel.

10. pedalcr8z

Yea I know what you mean.........I'm not even finished with last years
    threads and it friggin goes back 4 more years! They only build them in black now......sure wanted a blonde one though.

11. billstets

billstets Member

I used to play one in a rehearsal studio about 14 years ago and loved it!!! Then I bought a used one from GC and didn't like it, so I returned it. I think there was something with it, because it sounded really harsh. Nothing like the one in that studio, which was really beautiful sounding. Great amp!

12. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Agreed! Vibro Kings are tasteeeeeeeeee!!!!!! :RoCkIn

Cowboy

13. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I'm wondering how the Super-Sonic compares to the VK, tone-wise... I mean, I know the VK is handwired, has the 3-knob reverb & trem, I'm just talking tone/breakup here. I'd love to play them side-by-side.

And the SS's come in BLONDE :D

How could you NOT want a Super-Sonic after watching Greg Koch put one thru it's paces...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWvw9QmxsQ

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  14. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Well done, great purchase. I've got a late-90s blone and just getting set to re-tube now with some NOS, very excited to see how she reacts.

15. telejammer

telejammer Member

I have the newer black model VibroKing and Love it! It's the tone I've always been looking for and could never find in other amps, and I've had many from Mesa to Dr.Z, none can give that warm Fender tone like the VibroKing.

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

A Supersonic shouldn't even be in the same discussion as Vibroking. The Vibroking is one of the best amps Fender ever made (even including the glory days). The Supersonic is a huge flaming turd in comparison, sorry but it is a poor excuse for an amplifier IMHO and should have never been made.

17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

woah there harryjmic... tell us how you REALLY feel... :)

Seriously, like I said, I realize the VK is a Zinky-designed handwired masterpiece, and the SS is a PCB mass-produced amp, but alot of people like those Supersonics... and alot don't. I'd go so far as to alot of people who love fender amps in general DON'T love the VK... because it's different than the "fender norm". To each their own, I was just wondering if anybody had A/B'ed to two.

And, endorsement deal or not, Greg Koch uses the SS live, and not only does it sound good, (I'm sure Greg could make 2 tin cans and a string sound good), it sounds pretty amazing (tone in the player's hands notwithstanding).

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Hey what can I say as much as I love the VK the SS hits me the exact opposite, I'll put on my happy face now. :)

19. stratlad

stratlad Member

ruger9: Supersonic is Very different than the VK - dont' be fooled by the similar cosmetics. The VK is kind of a cross between a super reverb and a bassman with more 3D tone and a unique old-school 3 knob fender reverb. It has 3x10 and sounds Fendery but like no other. It gets almost marshallly at higher volumes but is very sweet and almost like a twin or deluxe reverb at low volumes. Great for single coil guitars and blues, rockabilly etc. breaks up fast.

The Supersonic's I've demoed are nice but very bright and not tweedy at all. They would be better to my ear with a humbucker than a single coil.

20. pedalcr8z

That's a pretty concise description!:BEER