• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

We're all officially nuts...

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Took my grab n go rig to band practice last night rather than my Two Rock Ruby and 1X12 loaded with a Scuminco. My grab n go is a Powerblock into a tiny pine cab with a Jensen Neo. My total cash outlay for my grab n go rig is about $170. My bandmates are pretty darn good musicians with big ears, and my cousin on bass is head recording engineer for a Nashville label. The other difference is that I played my WCR loaded Malmsteen sig strat rather than my Timbucker carrying Historic LP. I personally really like the feel of playing my high-dollar rig much better, and I think it also sounds somewhat more complex, rich, and musical.

They all liked the grab n go rig BETTER. I think some of it is that in order to lower the SPLs to a usable level with the fancy gear I use an attenuator, but its still fairly loud, wheras the Powerblock rig I am able to play a bit quieter, so some of it just may be the mix. Maybe the less of me you hear, the better the band sounds! Still, makes me wonder a little about how much difference all this cork sniffing really makes in the real world.

jimmyohio75

Took my grab n go rig to band practice last night rather than my Two Rock Ruby and 1X12 loaded with a Scuminco. My grab n go is a Powerblock into a tiny pine cab with a Jensen Neo. My total cash outlay for my grab n go rig is about $170. My bandmates are pretty darn good musicians with big ears, and my cousin on bass is head recording engineer for a Nashville label. The other difference is that I played my WCR loaded Malmsteen sig strat rather than my Timbucker carrying Historic LP. I personally really like the feel of playing my high-dollar rig much better, and I think it also sounds somewhat more complex, rich, and musical.

They all liked the grab n go rig BETTER. I think some of it is that in order to lower the SPLs to a usable level with the fancy gear I use an attenuator, but its still fairly loud, wheras the Powerblock rig I am able to play a bit quieter, so some of it just may be the mix. Maybe the less of me you hear, the better the band sounds! Still, makes me wonder a little about how much difference all this cork sniffing really makes in the real world.
It's all about the thrill of the hunt for me. I am convinced that the Holy Grail of amps is out there and I'm determined to find it. As long as there's an amp out there that I haven't tried the hunt continues!! What the hell..... I could be spending my time doing something harmful like drugs or cheating on my wife or embezzling money or something like that. It's a hobby. Everyone needs a hobby, right?

blastastick

Nice, and very true.

Ryan

If TGP was a character in a movie, the film would be titled "The Thrill of the Hunt".

Simply put, I think we, as guitarists, overthink our rigs way too much...

...hell, in your description you said "Pine box". I mean, there it is right there. The fact that you describe the box's material really shows how much we analyze EVERYTHING. ANd probably to fault.

But, the fact that your bandmates like the powerblock better doesn't mean it sounds better. They just have an opinion like everyone else, and they might like the powerblock for reasons that would surprise you.

One big one might be that the less complex sound, simply allows more room for the rest of the band to fit in.

rob2001

I would think it's more about how is sits in a mix than anything being "better". From a band perspective, I think overall balance with the rest of the musicians is probably more important than the "best" tone.

Flameout12

I can say that I appreciate TGP and have gained a lot of the knowledge since coming here. Fortunately, I haven't spent that much $$ on stuff and the end game for me is I'm now playing and hearing things thru my gear that I only dreamed of 2 years ago.
So thanks to many of you for posting...you have helped at least one guy a lot. :BEER

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I've said it before and some don't believe me, but I had a high dollar amp go down on me at a gig several months ago. It overheated and went into thermal shutdown.

After troubleshooting everything I could think of while the band played on, I finally realized it was the amp. Whipped out the PowerBlock and jumped back into the music. I turned the PowerBlock on and cringed as I hit the first chord (the band was playing.) I was shocked when I heard that it sounded kickass.

The only thing we talked about as we packed up at the end of the night was just how kickass that PowerBlock sounded. None of us could believe it (soundman, rest of band, wife of a band member, me, etc...)

I'm not going to say it sounded better, but yes... In a live setting, the $99 Powerblock was ALMOST as nice sounding as the $2,000 amp. No joke.

Chris

jimmyohio75

I can say that I appreciate TGP and have gained a lot of the knowledge since coming here. Fortunately, I haven't spent that much $$ on stuff and the end game for me is I'm now playing and hearing things thru my gear that I only dreamed of 2 years ago.
So thanks to many of you for posting...you have helped at least one guy a lot. :BEER
I agree that the TGP is a great place to learn about gear. I spent some time over at Harmony Central but I quickly felt like I was back in High School trying to find the loudest 100 watt stack with over the top gain. If you don't own a Splawn, 5150 or Krank don't go there. I'm 40 years old and I don't need my opinions shot down like I'm a Freshman in High School. Much more relaxed and knowledgeable bunch over here. OK HC fans go ahead and flame me!!

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
My Fender SCXD (modded into a 1 12 combo cab w/ Jensen Neo) is all I play anymore. Palmer PDI09 to the board, and I'm good (some stuff in front of the amp). I'm not gonna fight it anymore.

jon

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
I had a similar situation with my band recently. I normally use my Bumbox Cielo through a big ben cab. I love that rig and the Cielo isn't exactly a high dollar amp compared to what a lot of people use, but my band almost always prefers my sound when I bring just my Fender Blues Jr. I like both amps, but I prefer the ass my Cielo puts out. The rest of the guys just don't seem to notice or care.

Twangmaster

My $.02.....

I think it boils down to the fact that about 90% of the players out there, at least in the great pastures of the midwest, are gonna suck equally as bad either through a $49 ebay SS Esteban special, or a beautifully hand built ___________ (insert favorite boutique amp here).

Then again, if one takes into account the fact that on any given Friday-Saturday Bar gig, most of the neanderthals in the audience are more interested in either playing Grab-xxx with the Redhead at the bar, or teasing the hell out of the bikers over at the pool table, you've gotta wonder if anyone is really paying attention! Sure your guitar playing buddies will notice, but Bubba and Betty will be more worried about the next ones coming from.

Yeah, I know... my cynical side is starting to show.

And yes, i'm pretty sure that collectively, we are pretty much out of our minds! oh, and usually a bit Obsessive / Compulsive.

...Now off to surf through the "Gear for sale" forums again!

Jd3

My $.02.....

I think it boils down to the fact that about 90% of the players out there, at least in the great pastures of the midwest, are gonna suck equally as bad either through a $49 ebay SS Esteban special, or a beautifully hand built ___________ (insert favorite boutique amp here).

Then again, if one takes into account the fact that on any given Friday-Saturday Bar gig, most of the neanderthals in the audience are more interested in either playing Grab-xxx with the Redhead at the bar, ...
+1 on the Twangmaster's rant -- I've seen it over and over again ... and it works both ways. I know band guys that are scared to death to play out because they hit a woof note on their (insert boutique equipment) every 5th song :huh And then you have guys that are PLAYERS and are making great music with old Peavey Classic 50's and 70's strats and playing like crazy. And 9 out of 10 times, people in the audience can't even begin to tell the difference about the sound or give a damn what equipment somebody is playing .... :Spank

And yup, I'm over lookin' at the Emporium all the time ! LOL :horse

padavis

If it sounds better with the good stuff, even to only your ears, thats all that really matters. I have not got to the Two Rock realm yet but I have had a Bogner Shiva and man there is something special about that thing. I got a Peavey Bandit as a church amp and once I got it I was think daggone thats not too bad but then I put it next to the Shiva and the other things are just unbeatable. I don't have the vocab to describe it but the Shiva was alive and the Bandit wasn't.
I now have a handmade Deluxe Reverb clone that has that same craziness. Its just got more. Might be something only me and the dog can hear but there is something alive in good amps and if I'm the only one with that connection thats fine with me!
So, yea, we might be crazy but we rock!

soldano16

I found just the opposite to be true. My most recent band is all new guys and I don't think any of them can remember when they last practiced with someone using a vintage Marshall head with a very high quality replica LP.

But they all went crazy for the tone and recognized that it was way above most of what they hear.

The really good stuff sounds really good!

dk123123dk

If you play at home by yourself. It doesn't matter when it comes to mixing well with other instruments. But when you are cooking with a band, the amp has to sit well in the mix, and at times cut through. So different gear for different situations. Boutique gear often times works best in the studio or at home, where as more pedestrian gear will do for live gigs as long as its sturdy stuff.

I love the concept of the power block, but remember reading a few bad reviews regarding reliability. So that really doesn't work for me as a live rig. But most of the time I play with a solidstate/tube hybrid live. Its the best of both worlds for me, and has never let me down. Peavey. But when I jam at home by myself, or record, I use the best stuff I own most of the time. Just different tools for different jobs. This is my experience.

dk

Trending Topics