Wessex vs Timmy vs. Blue Note?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GloryJones, May 6, 2016.

1. GloryJones

GloryJones Member

I have a Timmy and Blue Note. I use the Timmy for edge of breakup with a Strat through a Custom Deluxe Reverb. I personally like the Timmy through Fender amps.

I've tried to use the Blue Note for similar applications. I enjoyed the slight mid hump but didn't like that it cannot be run at 18V. I feel like the Timmy shines at 18V.

I've heard that the Wessex is a "fatter version of the Timmy". How does the Wessex compare to the Timmy and BN for edge of breakup tones through Fender amps?

I know.."if it ain't broke" and all...but a fatter Timmy? I'm intrigued.

Please discuss.

2. GloryJones

GloryJones Member

3. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

No experience with a Timmy but I own a blue note and recently demoed a Wessex.

First off, i didn't demo the Wessex with a strat seeing as how my LP gets loads more action than my strat nowadays and therefor only used a LP. My approach to testing gear is initial curiosity then I try to achieve a specific tonal goal, so I don't tend to try and find as many usable tones as possible.

That being said I really enjoyed what I heard from the Wessex and it was a joy for me to play through as well. It delivered the goods in terms of what I typically try to achieve as a player which is (for dirts) fat, warm and clear. As far as BN vs Wessex, the Wessex has more gain on tap and can easily achieve the "on the edge of break up" thing. The gain pot is QUITE usable. Especially if your using a lower output guitar like a strat (assuming it's sss). Wessex is, to my ears, a warm sound where as the BN is more focused. Both are 9v and bogner doesn't specify that it's 18v compatible which leads me to believe it's not meant to handle that voltage.

Can I ask what the qualm is with the lack of 18v compatibility? It can't be a volume issue seeing as how the blue note is a pretty loud pedal

Edit: I forgot to write that the blue note is really more of a tube screamer on steroids where as the bogner is, imo, kind of it's own thing in comparison

4. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Be
    It is possible that the internal voltage on the Blue Note is pumped up to 18V already, without the need for an 18V supply. If it is, then the Blue Note is already replicating what the Timmy achieves by moving from 9V to 18V.

5. GloryJones

GloryJones Member

So I got a Wessex, that I happen to hear as very similar to the Blue Note. Both great pedals. The Wessex (vs.Timmy) has a lot more midrange, so it sounds a little honky with my setup.

The issue I have with the Timmy is that it lacks the midrange sound too much. I'm not looking for a TS or Klon(e) with a pronounced midrange hump.

Is there anything between the Timmy and the Wessex? How does the Amp 11 compare?

Looking for edge of breakup tones.

6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Rockbox Baby Blues? Closer to Timmy than Wessex, but as someone who doesn't like Timmy with Fenders, the Baby Blues sounds like the Timmy but good. :p That is to say, it sounds transparent, but it's clearly doing something the Timmy isn't. FWIW, you need to play with the internal trimmer AND tone control to balance the top and low end. -E

7. GloryJones

GloryJones Member

Great suggestion. I'll check it out.

Any other suggestions? Something like a Timmy, but a little bit smoother with the slightest bit of midrange. Separate bass and treble controls would be nice.

8. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I looked for the same tone and ended up with an Ibanez Jet Driver. I got it super cheap and couldn't believe it had the tone I wanted over my Blue Note or Greer Relic Drive. This appears to be a Tube Screamer platform where you can roll back the mods to taste. I also had an Xotic BB MB Preamp a while back and think that may be able to do similar things for you you could also try the VFE Focus if you're looking for cleaner compressed settings.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/dist...erdrive-guitar-effects-pedal?source=3TEM5KTBK