• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread, Version 14!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhartt1234

Saw this line on Craigslist TWICE this morning.

"The original non-grounded power cable has been left in place for authenticity."

Sometimes I strive for authenticity, but I have passed up MANY amps because they had a two prong cord.

JBailey62

Blues For Today….Part 2…If Anyone Has This I Would Gladly Pay For A Copy…

Looks Like the set of "Austin City Limits". If they haven't already they should release a DVD compilation. I've seen some fantastic shows on A.C.L. over the years.

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member

Looks Like the set of "Austin City Limits". If they haven't already they should release a DVD compilation. I've seen some fantastic shows on A.C.L. over the years.
It is A. C. L. the one with a split T-Birds-SRV show…Early on...
The SRV show has been re-released, But not that T-Birds...

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
Saw this line on Craigslist TWICE this morning.

"The original non-grounded power cable has been left in place for authenticity."

Sometimes I strive for authenticity, but I have passed up MANY amps because they had a two prong cord.

Good call! Choose life over electrocution. :bonk

rhartt1234

So I just read that Google built a "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" algorithm into the search engine. The idea being that you can connect Kevin Bacon to any other actor in six or less movies.
For instance:
"Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bill Paxton appeared in True Lies.
Bill Paxton and Kevin Bacon appeared in Apollo 13."

So I got silly to see what I could find. Who knew Bruce Lee was only two movies away from Kevin Bacon? Then I started with Blues musicians. Kim Wilson and Jimmie Vaughan are 3 and NOT through "Light of Day" to my surprise. Muddy=3

So I tried Anson Funderburgh, who is in "China Moon" with Ed Harris. Nothing! But, Ed Harris and Kevin Bacon were in Apollo 13. Anson=2.

No algorithm required.
Suck it Google.

rhartt1234

I know what you're thinking: "You need a job." The sad part is I'm such a trivia hound I'd be doing it anyway.

StaxKing

I picked up a Strymon Flint today. I plan to run it along side a JAM Delay Lama through the RedPlate. First gig for the Flint is Sat night. Will report.

luv2pick2

Silver Supporting Member

I found that by chance my DVR recorded Austin City Limits, with Jimmie Vaughn and company doing a tribute to Jimmy Reed, it's really cool. Anyone else see that?

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
If any of you guys and gals are headed to The LA AMP SHOW in Van Nuys, CA, Oct 6&7, I'll hope to see you there and maybe out at Nicks in W. Covina on 10/7 too.

Carmour

Good god I just made a playlist of about 25 Hollywood Fats tunes to "study". Daunting task this is. The way he constructs his phrases within a chorus is truly a beautiful thing.. Not to mention just how seamless it all is. Ridiculous.

StaxKing

Good god I just made a playlist of about 25 Hollywood Fats tunes to "study". Daunting task this is. The way he constructs his phrases within a chorus is truly a beautiful thing.. Not to mention just how seamless it all is. Ridiculous.
Blimey man. That is a lifetimes work right there. Good luck with it. I'd love to do the same one day myself. Simple thought, part of the Fats genius (imho) lies in the stock licks he uses to get from the end of one 12 bar to the beginning of the next. Check em out. Live he would, I understand, go round and round and round: one 12 bar after another and the way he did it was by having those phrases that stopped anyone jumping in to take over. Great fun if you are a Fats fan but I read Albert King fired him for being too much of a show off. lol :)

Peace and good happiness stuff.

StaxKing

I picked up a Strymon Flint today. I plan to run it along side a JAM Delay Lama through the RedPlate. First gig for the Flint is Sat night. Will report.
As promised my thoughts on the Flint having had time to have a fumble at home and now gig it. I am doing this while at the back of my mind thinking some of you have already done the Flint thang and dismissed it. So it is with a brave foot forward that I report the Flint is an amazing pedal. I have never experienced tone quite like that which I enjoyed last night. Of course the Flint was only part of what was going on but it was a big improvement on the RedPlates own reverb and the joy of switching in the 'brownface/magnatone' vibe trem from time to was a welcome treat that provided variety for the audience without loosing the general feeling of authenticity of the performance.

So there it is. A keeper.

In actual fact, I removed the reverb tank from the redplate and have velcro mounted the Flint and Delay Lama to the amp floor together with a power box. So I get all that goodness without having to carry more than my amp and guitar to a gig and I don't have untidy pedals laid out in front of me during the performance.

Love to the World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics