West Coast Blues Thread Version 17

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by fretshop, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

8/26/2013

What a ride...and what great friends we've made !!

May we continue with our discussion regarding Steve Samuels ?

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

3. Jed B

Jed B Supporting Member

tone machine.....damn straight

4. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

I wish there was more S.S.material available...makes me want to get a Bandmaster.
    Has anyone tried or seen the new Fender reissue?

5. t135

t135 Member

I turn the bass in trouble way down on my Amps too. Works pretty well and there's a surprising amount of bass in most amps

6. t135

t135 Member

No I used a Victoria bandmaster for a while. It was the one Sean Costello used when he toured with Susan tedeschi. I wish I had not sold it.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUit-dhxWc

How did I never hear of this guy until now...?!? Wow!!!

8. fretshop

Steve Samuels' name comes up in my shop, and throughout my circle of friends quite frequently. I don't know how many times someone has forwarded me the You Tube videos, and remarked, "Make me sound like that". My usual reply is, "if I could hand you Steve's guitar...AND his rig...you wouldn't sound like that.

Frank, correct me if I'm worng....but I vaguely remember...maybe it was Watson (?) telling me that he commisioned the modded convertible for Steve. Maybe Frank can clear things up...I know we talked about it at length a couple weeks ago over breakfast.

I know that the top was replaced with some planking from an antique barn door, and that a vintage DM-3 is in the signal chain. Pete and I are trying to sort out some more particulars about the instrument.

There is a "relative approximation" to the singing sustain of the Samuels guitar that I have been able to get with my U-2, my '65 Super Reverb, and my early DM-3. I'm playing with both pickups on (in series), and rolling off the bridge volume just a tad until the tone gets a gritty snarl to it. The amp is on 7-8 volume, with bass just noticeable, mids at 5, treble 8-9, bright switch on, and guitar tone rolled back. The Dm-3 is set for about 1 repeat. My super is also not stock...it's a Cesar Diaz job with ceramic Eminence 10-Cs's, which are known to sustain like crazy at higher volumes.

I unfortunately don't have a vintage Bandmaster to fool around with.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. straightblues

straightblues Member

Last time Steve Samuels name came up on this thread about a year or so ago, I went out and got a Dan DC3 reissue. I bought it off Henry Carvajal from the Mighty Flyers. He was running an add on the craigslist.

When I got the guitar, I called up Steve Soest to have the out of phase switch wired into it. I talked to him about Samuels guitar. Evedinetly, Steve Soest built it for him. He said the top was from his old garage door that he was replacing. I am sure Soest could give you more info if you called him. Here is his website. http://www.soestguitar.com/

My guitar sounds pretty good but I ain't getting tone close to Samuels tone and I have some pretty good amps. I also used to play a clone of one of those Tweed Bandmasters. It was cool but I seemed to fight the volume with it a lot in most situations. So I would agree with Fretshop, there ain't no capturing that tone.

10. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Uh huh. Thanks for posting!

11. fretshop

12. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Meanwhile across the U.S., the price of vintage garage doors began to skyrocket...

13. Carmour

Carmour Member

what records can you guys recommend me from samuels?

14. schultzvil

schultzvil In the Clean Channel Silver Supporting Member

#17 WCB Thread- yeah! It's been great hanging here and fun to learn from you guys, make some new in-person friends, connect with some old ones, and also be the "old guy with cool stories", too.-
    As to Steve Samuels, for me it's highly appropriate that he start a new round, as he was literally my introduction, and my 'gateway drug', to this thing we've codified as "West Coast Blues"- specifically the guitar-centric versions of it. He single-handedly (honestly, NO pun intended) weaned me off of Jimmie Vaughan (not completely, thank god) and turned me on to the wonders of Tiny Grimes, Willie Johnson, Joaquin Murphy, Thumbs Carlise, Mike "Junior" Watson, "Little" Charley Baty, Charlie Rich, Ray Charles, "Blues Is King", "My Kind Of Blues" (life-changer right there) Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant, Jimmie Rivers, the questionable benefits of the use of products as depicted in the drama "Breaking Bad" and a whole lot of other things...
    But I Digress..
    I was gonna say- don't forget: What I was trying to point out earlier, the biggest part of his tone was that ****** BIG THUMB. His arm ends below the elbow, and terminates in some very hard calloused material something like a fingernail. Just to impress girls, he'd sometimes pull out an emery board and start filing away at that material, and watch them try to stay cool even though they were turning green...
    The Dano was definitely a Steve Soest build and was thicker than usual, I believe, and then he covered it in essentially 'wood grain' contact paper, like you'd cover a school desk in. Truly Funky. But somehow, toneful. Or was it later covered in some faux-leather? My memory is indeed playing tricks on me. It was pretty ghetto-rific, if you follow me.
    He did a lot of balancing with the three volumes, and indeed as I believe Pete pointed out, and how could I forget it, the Goodrich Volume Pedal was a huge part of the equation, cause he could fiddle endlessly with the balance of the three pickups and then adjust that with the Pedal.
    The Bandmaster, Reverb Tank, and delay pedal were all just Primo..
    and I remember after him just preaching the right-ness of this stuff for a couple of years, sure enough the first glimmers started to appear at NAMM, Gerald Kendrick and THD and such... it was like the wilderness.
    But on the other hand, I paid TOP DOLLAR for a basically mint '59 bassman from Rod... $750:facepalm
    luckily, still got that one ;-)
    Steve was all about music. All kinds of songs... but when he started playing swinging blues, indeed with the double, and triple stops (lap-steel voicings) lookout. He had no trouble melding Western Swing with BB King.
    That was new for me- being a New Yorker- and he a Sacramento Delta native... But that Live Tone. It was insane.
    He had to use those double and triple stop things, because he essentially didn't really have speed for complex single note lines, or faster single note lines, because of his picking situation. So his solution: incredible voicings, moving lines in 2 or 3 note groups, harmonic sophistication. He has Big Ears and used them. Just a monster- yes, upside down and backwards.
    The life situation and demons have really battered him and won the battle, it seems. The thread is hard to follow and I honestly don't know where he is and in what kind of shape at this point. Glimmers of hope have been heard, but not confirmed. The guy deserves a lot. There are only the two finished records, and then they were kind of combined into one CD released version of "Saturday Night Blues". That was a vinyl record and the "one" is "On The Corner Of Blues And Swing". A milestone recording.
    OK that's enough from me. Respect to Steve Samuels.

15. schultzvil

[​IMG] usually I played Bass with Steve, but for this festival hit, I was already there with the Flyers, and Steve had his brother Andrew Samuels playing bass, and asked me to sit in on guitar- borrowed someone's tele... the Mullet was still in effect- please don't judge me harshly...

16. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Man, I'm telling you guys, that's because the body of the guitar was just a old Danolectro Convertible body that Steve re-topped. The original Convertible bodies were thicker then the U and DC series bodies.

17. schultzvil

I think I'm buying this- I think it's correct.

18. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Bwahahaha! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

19. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Dano did make a deeper electric called the Companion. Basically a Convertible but regular pickups, no soundhole.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.