West Coast Blues Thread Version 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
Here we go with round 18... ongoing discussions on West Coast Blues, related players, gear, music genres, and all around good times...

:rimshot

nmontz

RickyKing? Pups for a strat or a tele?

Saw these pics of JLV's strat on the web and thought I'd share. For some reason it didn't upload the front pic full sized...you can see that it is a flatsawn neck in the huge detailed pic I found. JLV was showing his and his brother's guitars at a museum exhibit in Texas and somebody took some good pics of the front and back. I thought it was cool anyway. I heard where JLV was playing again in the area next month and I'm already looking forward to hearing him again. I've been listening to the second blues and ballads cd a lot lately. Would love to see great detailed pics like this of Anson's strat too!

RickyKing

RickyKing? Pups for a strat or a tele?

Saw these pics of JLV's strat on the web and thought I'd share. For some reason it didn't upload the front pic full sized...you can see that it is a flatsawn neck in the huge detailed pic I found. JLV was showing his and his brother's guitars at a museum exhibit in Texas and somebody took some good pics of the front and back. I thought it was cool anyway. I heard where JLV was playing again in the area next month and I'm already looking forward to hearing him again. I've been listening to the second blues and ballads cd a lot lately. Would love to see great detailed pics like this of Anson's strat too!

Strat pickups...love this one!

Axis29

I have 57/62's in one Strat and Lawrence Microcoils in the other.

I've tried a few of the boutique ones in guitars in stores... Lollars and Frailins. Always been impressed with the Mare offerings. He's a good guy too.

Picking pickups is like picking speakers.... Rabbit holes I try to avoid thinking too much about!

mr tom

I have Mare's Watson set and they sound great. Haven't heard Stuarts...I do use a set of Hamel Tele pickups, which I think are the best ever, and similar to the Stuarts, or so I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
I rarely play Strats anymore but I've owned many--my current and only one has a set of old Fralin's that have been fitted in several guitars--now in my Lentz-build Strat. I bought them before Lindy had a website or model names, and just told him to "build me a set like you have in your guitar"--I have the baseplate on the bridge pickup and the blend pot wiring i.e. master volume, master tone, blend--so I can get the two outside pickups for a Tele like sound. Served me well over the years for vintage tones.

groove_king

I'm in!

Caught Greg Koch at the Fender Australia Roadshow the other night. He was sounding fan-effen-tastic through one of the new 68 silverface Deluxe Reverb reissues. Anyone here tried these out yet? Fender have dicked with them a bit (for the better). Reverb and trem are now available on Ch1. Ch1 has been revoiced with a tweed Bassman tone stack and they've removed the negative feedback loop. The amp didn't have that midrange scoop the blackfaces have and sounded fat and tasty.

They also had the new 57 Bandmaster reissue there which he played through towards the end. I think it had a bad preamp tube, as there was this nasty noise in the top end. It didn't showcase the brilliance of theses amps, unfortunately. Koch, however, was brilliant!

It was a strange night for me as the Australian Blues Music Awards were an hour up the road and my band was nominated for four awards. I couldn't be there as I had promised my son to take him to Fender show. Anyway, my band won four awards (album of the year, band of the year, female vocal of the year and producer of the year)! Good times!

RickyKing

Ok, Thanks for the input! I was on the gig Saturday night w/ Jr. he played through a BF Super Reverb and a Strat...sounded just like him...We also had a pretty long conversation about pickups..he is totally in Mare's corner..he had a pretty good story about DM rebuilding Joel Foy's old Tele neck PU. My big treat of the evening was doing the set w/ Sugar Ray & The Bluetones.. getting to stand next to The Monster was a gas!
Ok, i need a little help..anyone have a schematic for the 4 6V6 Danelectro Challenger?
The trem gave out, replaced the tube-no go. Anybody??

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member

GOLDENSTRAT

Congrats Groove King!
I have a set of Van Zandts in a tele that sound hot and fat, Lollars in a Nash tele that just boggle my mind and a mixed set of Rio Grandes in a strat that are fat and kinda hot, very full and nice, the 57/62 Fenders would be my second choice.
I find that pots and caps also have a lot to do with things.

Scott Miller

I am reminded how this thread got booted out of the Miscellaneous subforum on the previous host because the thread wasn't about gear.

Har.

Anyway, my tone tip for the day: new strings. Actually, I'm not sure I like new strings. I hardly ever change the damn things, and when I do, there go all my amp settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics