West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

FWIW, I am most pleased with my DD!

Jed B likes this.
  2. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

I saw a pic of yours on Facebook. What model is that? Looks sweet. How's the neck?

3. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Thanks Ricky. It's worth a lot to get so many positive endorsements. Stringmaster sent me a clip of his which sounded very sweet but also tough when it needs to be. I also like Tommy's a lot, although of course, it's a different model. It all adds up. I live a long way from California, so it's unlikely I'll be able to try one unless we visit my wife's West Coast cousins some time soon.

4. RickyKing

Hi, it is a Magni-Fire, great construction, awesome neck, can't say enough about the quality. Great one!

S.W.Erdnase likes this.
  5. RickyKing

Well, you never know, things have a way of working out!

6. Jed B

Jed B Supporting Member

Dan gets it.....great guy as well

RickyKing likes this.
  7. hasserl

hasserl Member

So nice to hear a drummer play a proper shuffle. I guess it comes naturally to a jazz drummer, too bad I end up playing mostly with rock drummers that simply do not know how to play a decent shuffle beat.

8. hasserl

hasserl Member

I have a DD guitar on long term loan to me from a friend. The guitar was basically brand new when he loaned it to me, it will be well used when he gets it back. He's in no hurry either, I saw him Saturday at a jam, I had the DD with me, and he just smiled and told me about the other custom guitars he has on order. Must be nice...

Anyway, it is a CL2 model, and the one on his website just might be the one I have on loan. He mentioned it was his favorite guitar. I love it, it kind of has a vintage Les Paul feel to it, with a nice big fat neck, and a light weight pine body. It's very versatile, covers a wide range of tones and styles, between the 2 pickups and the controls I can dial in a lot of different and usable tones, with plenty of growl when you crank it up. I like the pickups a lot.

http://www.dandunhamguitars.com/Dan_Dunham_Guitars/CL2.html

tommy harkenrider likes this.
  9. hasserl

hasserl Member

Just wanted to remind you guys about Sheldon Abbot's radio show, on now until 12:00 pacific coast time. You will really dig the music he plays, tune in now: http://www.kuci.org/

10. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I'
    I'm there! Big Jon up now!

hasserl likes this.
  11. groove_king

groove_king Member

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong! Lol.

Unfortunately, having a great pocket is not style-dependent. I've played with "rock" guys that, while they won't win a Fred Below soundalike contest, provide a decent groove and I've played with schooled jazzers who couldn't shuffle their way out of a wet sack.

12. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

The school part can have a lot to do with that.

13. groove_king

groove_king Member

Nah, I don't think so. I don't want to get into a "schooling is bad for you" conversation, because I really don't believe that gaining knowledge is a bad thing. It really depends on the person and how they relate to music, IMO.

Some folks, school or no school, just "get it".

14. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

I went to music school, in the dark ages. I also went to real life music school for a lot longer. The fact is that there are a LOT of academic jazz players out there.

edit: not saying this applies to all jazz players, or educated musicians. At all. Just that I am not surprised when a school player sounds like a school player.

15. groove_king

groove_king Member

Sure, but a bad school player is the same as a bad unschool player. Ya don't want either in your band! And I argue that it's the player, not how much schooling they've had.

And I said I didn't want to get into a discussion about it, so that's my last word on the topic. :)

Hey, does anyone here do a lot of acoustic work? What boxes are y'all playing? A couple of years ago I decided to upgrade my $300 Takamine as I was doing more acoustic gigs. I ended up with a Martin DCPA4 that I've never really bonded with. Anyway, on the weekend I did an acoustic show and borrowed a friend's Gibson J45 reissue. Wow. Pretty much everything I want in an acoustic guitar. Shame that it's twice my price range!

16. Carmour

Carmour Member

That's Lance Phillips. Top shelf NZ jazz drummer. He is the man. Remember him saying that he was still working on his shuffle. That's the sign of a good player. Always learning :)

As for school players, I have some theories. I generally think if a guy has it in him, he'll sound good regardless of schooling or not. Schooling teaches you chops but not taste. You can't really keep a good player down though I reckon

groove_king likes this.
  17. ChristophGuitar

ChristophGuitar Member

Whooohooo! Probably a little off to your discussion, but I just wanted to share my excitement about.... seeing Junior Watson live! He's actually playing Hannover, Germany this weekend which is just about fours hours away from here. Finally. I'm still a young fan and I have not really seen a lot of great live blues, so this is a big thing for me.

Schwalbe, hasserl, Axis29 and 3 others like this.
  18. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Talking about Junior is never off topic! I'm fortunate living in SoCal I can see him pretty much as often as I want!

19. groove_king

groove_king Member

Be prepared to have your concept of what blues guitar is totally warped! :)

20. Carmour

Carmour Member

Nice! I'm jealous. Doubt he'll ever make his way to my part of the world haha. I'll have to make my way to him at some point though. I haven't seen much in the way of live international blues guys either. Sucks!