West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

I experiment with different pre's in every one of my amps until I get the response I'm looking for. I have a different set up in each amp. I haven't found one preamp or power tube that is my favorite. Right now, I'm experimenting with the Tube Store's Premium 12AX7-ECC83. They work quite well in my Blues Juniors, Pro Junior, and Blues Deluxe. JJ's are a nice lively preamp tube, and affordable. I like them better than the R.I. Tungsols and Mullards in the aforementioned amps. I also use Sovtek 12AX7-LPS when I want to brighten up an amp, but they can get microphonic in certain amps. The LPS pre's seem to work nicely with the Winged C (real Svetlana) power tubes when used in the Deville Series amps from the 90's.

2. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

3. RJLII

RJLII Member

4. fretshop

Yes.

Just to clear things up here....I use both the JJs and the Preferreds, depending on the sound/tone/response I'm looking for. I also use Mullards.

The Premium 7025/12AX7 will tolerate some very high temperatures, vibration and voltages. If I were to compare them to my JJ's, the JJ's remind me of a good old stock British preamp tube with nice compression, and a slightly gritty attitude when driven. The Preferred series don't compress as much, and can render a slightly bigger, rounder tone, BUT not as sparkly and crisp as the JJ. You may, or may not like them. I believe that the preferreds are about $23 a tube (?). They are durable and will take alot of punishment. My archtops sound better with the Premium Pre's....less break up, especially on swing and Jazz tunes. We tried them in Big Mikes' Bill-M modded Tweed series Blues Junior, and both his chromatic and diatonic harps sounded "bigger". The BJ sounded even larger when we A/B'd the Texas Heat speaker against the stock Jensen that came with the amp. Note: We also swapped out the JJ EL84s for the Preferred EL84's. The Preferred EL84's are well worth the extra dough.

You can also have some fun mixing up the preamp tubes. If we add some Roy Buchanan and/or Hank Marvin/Jeff Beck instrumentals (Sweet Dreams, Apache, Cause We've Ended as Lovers, Jeff's Boogie etc etc) to the set, I'll swap V1 out for a JJ so I can get the compression and sustain I need along with the increased gain from the Premiums. On certain nights I use a JJ in V1 and Mullards in V2 and V3...nice combination for a blues Junior.

You didn't mention the amplifier and speaker(s) you would install the tubes in. That could help with some suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  5. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

I just bought a Pro Junior III in a 1x12 cabinet with a Jensen C12N.
    It's naturally a dirty amp. Maybe the Tube Store Premium will be a good match to tame some of that dirt?

6. fretshop

The Pro Junior is quite noisy in both its stock wiring and tube formats, and tends to get dirty really fast. A lot of players swap out V1 for a 5751, a 12AT7, or a 12AY7 which can clean things up a bit...but at a loss of some gain. There is a series of component and wiring mods that you can have done to quiet the amp. There is a DIY site called Instructables which gives all the details plus photos. I haven't done it yet, but plan to. I may drive up to Lou's place (Louis Amps) and borrow one of his benches for a couple hours...he has all the components at hand.

I recently acquired a used purple Pro Junior III with a Copperhead Speaker...The amp had some West Coast tone to the bone, but got very dirty past 3 on the volume control. I swapped the copperhead out for a Rajin Cajun which improved the headroom, and on the advice of the folks at The Tube Store, I swapped out the JJ EL 84s that came with the amp for the preferred EL-84's, and installed some new Mullard 12AX7's. The improvement in performance between the preferred EL84 and the JJ's was noticeable. The fellow at the Tube Store thought that the Mullard 12ax7's would be a better match for my tonal requirements than the preferred preamp tubes. I did try a full set of new JJ's in the Pro Jr. I lost some gain, and the amp got dirty fast. Remember, we're talking about the Pro Jr. here, not the Blues Junior.

So...my favorite tube combination for my Pro Junior right now is a set of Preferred EL84's and a set of Mullard 12AX7's, blowing through an Emi Rajin Cajun. If you try this combination and you need things a little cleaner, try one of the optional preamp tubes that I mentioned above in V1. V1 is the first preamp tube all the way over on the right as you look into the back of the amp. Also...please turn off the amp and unplug it from the power source when doing the tube swaps. The tubes can run very hot, so if the amp has been on, don't touch the tubes with bare hands.

Let me know how it all works out.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Jed B likes this.
  7. fretshop

BTW: I've been using a hand wired R.I. AC 30 with Green Backs at the club lately....Crikey, The Nocaster never sounded better. The Vox reverb sucks though. Too bad the amp weighs in at almost 90 lbs.

8. Carmour

Carmour Member

Yeah I have similar gripes with my AC15. Reverb is balls but it is broken now so that fixes that problem hah. And it's a heavy mother****er too! Tone for days though..

9. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

Here I am putting my new Pro Jr. through its paces.

Jed B likes this.
  10. MR.K

MR.K Member

Nice job by Tommy & Kid "The Memphis Kings". Fantastic dual solo. I giggled a little at the end too.

Ferret, ReddRanger and Axis29 like this.
  11. Carmour

Carmour Member

May have posted Dusty Ciggaar before but he is a fine player. Check it out

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    EBW, Ferret, mr tom and 2 others like this.
  12. Carmour

Carmour Member

some more straight ahead jump

RickyKing likes this.
  13. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Nice Job!! Cool Guitar!!

14. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

And Again! You know, I have tried that myself, you have more sucess!

15. Carmour

Carmour Member

Hahaha sorry ricky, typo in the original. It does look like 'my' guitar though. That's Dusty Ciggaar from Amsterderm(I think?). Great roots player worth checking out. I may be able to nail a jump blues like that but I doubt I could do the Hank garland tune as well :p

16. hasserl

hasserl Member

17. Carmour

Carmour Member

love this tune

RickyKing and ReddRanger like this.
  18. schultzvil

schultzvil In the Clean Channel Silver Supporting Member

Dusty is flat-out a Badass. I've met him a few times and he spanked my ass on a festival once ;-)

Carmour likes this.
  19. Carmour

Carmour Member

I dig the range of styles he can play (and play well). Plays some real nice country stuff over Warren Zevon's Carmalita with Ian Siegal and does the western swing/rockabilly thing really well too. He's one of those guys who makes me want to practice haha.

20. C-Bone247

C-Bone247 Member

Love that whole album... deserted island disc for me!!!