West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

Nice video, that did sound great, I'm surprised you took it back.

The particular JM I was looking at was a Made in Japan model. I played it at a clinic that I attended that was hosted by Tommy H at a boutique store in Santa Ana. We all took turns sitting in with him and John Dominguez on bass, and while I had taken my Silverton H64 to play I had grabbed the JM off the wall to check it out, and when it was my turn to play I took it up with me and plugged it in, I really didn't know how to set up the controls, so I just winged it, and it sounded really good. That's what piqued my interest. While it is a Fender and has that 25 1/2" scale, I really didn't think it was Strat sounding, though I'm sure you could dial in similar sounds on either guitar. But this had that added warmth that is noticeable on your demo vid.

I went back to the store the next day to see if I could make a deal with the guy, but we couldn't come to an agreement. I was willing to deal, I wanted that guitar, but he wasn't as motivated as I was, and in the end I couldn't bring myself down to his level. I needed him to come up part way to meet me and like I said, he wasn't motivated. Oh well, there's always another one down the road. Just have to be patient.

3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

The Mighty Anderon. DA KID MUST BE STOPPED!

Big Jon sounding great as always in the clips above too!

2 of my current favorite real Blues players

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    EBW and Dave Orban like this.
  4. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

I thought it was "da kid must be hoid" ?

(hi Dave)

Dave Orban likes this.
  5. Carmour

Carmour Member

Haha man US seems bloody hard to get in to and actually work legally in. With Europe, much easier to get citizenship w/ my dads roots there. I'm planning on a small trip to Cali with Darren Watson next year when he goes to record at Greaseland. Hopefully I can get my funds together by then and make it over, make some connections. Or just up and leave for good and tend bar until I get some gigs...

Got now idea where I would even start if i moved over seas though. Pretty daunting haha

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. StaxKing

StaxKing Member

Good point! :(

Maybe contact the Kid via Facebook and find out how he did it. Perhaps he got a job with Charlie M and applied that way. Not quite sure. Oh dear. Three steps forward and two steps back… As always…

Carmour likes this.
  7. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Just a bit of advice from someone who got to be a permanent resident. Study the rules before you get here. Get a really good immigration lawyer to handle your case. Even if, like me, you are married to an American, it's no slam dunk by any means.

Carmour likes this.
  8. hasserl

hasserl Member

Please let us know when you make the trip. I'd love to meet up with you. Depending on your schedule I'm sure I can work out some opportunities to jam.

Carmour likes this.
  9. hasserl

hasserl Member

Took the Guild Aristocrat to band rehearsal last night. Oh my, I don't think it's going to be going anywhere. It fit in very nicely. Compared to my Les Paul Special I found I was riding the bridge pickup far more, and with the Lester I tend to ride the neck pickup far more. They seemed so similar playing by myself, but the differences showed up playing with the band. I'm hosting a jam on Sunday, gonna take it to the jam and give it another whirl there. I think I'm falling in love...

10. hasserl

hasserl Member

On another note, I finally got the chance to get my hands inside one of those cheepo Fender Pawnshop Excelsior amps. I've played them a few times and heard others play them, and they are alright, but this is the first time someone brought one to me and said "go for it" regarding mods. It really didn't involve much at all. First I replaced the POS stock speaker with an Eminence Legend, but Fender already did that with the upgraded versions of these amps, so nothing really new there, just a nice upgrade that works very nice in these amps. Then I swapped out the stock cathode bias resistor for the power tubes, from a 470 ohm to 250 ohm (what the tweed Deluxe uses) and that made a major improvement in sound. The stock setup sounds constipated vs the new speaker and cathode resistor. Awesome! Then I just did some very minor resistor/capacitor changes in the preamp, and took out the Bright switch and gave it a Tone control modeled after the tweed Harvard, and that's it. The difference between the stock amp and this modified amp is amazing, it freakin rawks! Really a great sounding amp. It's all so simple and inexpensive, but it changes a VERY average amp into a great sounding amp I would not hesitate to put on a line up with any vintage or vintage style boutique amps. Even has Trem, albeit not adjustable for speed. It covers a lot of ground, from sweet cleans to hard rocking crunchy dirt, depending on where you set the volume/tone, and the vol/tone controls are very interactive, more so than most other amps. I love this little thing. Why can't Fender do this to begin with, I just went to their own cookie jar for the most part for the inspiration for these mods. Why do they ignore their own history when designing amps? I don't get it.

Carmour likes this.
  11. vibrolux56

vibrolux56 Member

I believe his first gig was with Terry Hanck and the rest was as you say.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  12. vibrolux56

vibrolux56 Member

13. Eldavido93

Eldavido93 Member

Speaking of struggles and problems playing this kind of music today in a world of musical downfall I feel that I could need some advice from you guys..

I'm 22 years old and have a full time job as a carpet fitter. I discovered this kind of music 4 years ago, and even though i've been in a "straight" blues band, I never felt satisified since I've always had to explain to fellow band mates what the music is about, something that never was sucessful. And this wasn't about any jump or West Coast, wich is what I really wanna play... Anyway, I left the band and started to study and learn as much rythm I could. The Lockwood, Eddie Taylor stuff aswell as chords and voicings for Jump kind of stuff. I built together my own kind of lead playing by listening and learning to my heroes, Okay - I feel kind of confident nog. What shall I do? Let's hit the Blues jams on Saturday night... Well that sucked the inspiration out of me big time..The sound of Sweet Home Chicago played by drunks in in their 50s with marshall amps and Cream-shirts really sucked the will out of me to even try. I really feel stagnated right now..and advice how I can go on feeling creative??

Blue410 and Carmour like this.
  14. Carmour

Carmour Member

I've been there before. I'm 25 nearly 26. There are only a handful of guys in my entire country who have anything resembling knowledge about this kind of music. Most blues gigs and blues clubs are inundated with hacks and people who haven't heard of anyone pre clapton or hendrix.. some even pre bonomassa. It's a sad state. My only advice to you would be to keep sharp, keep practicing, maybe branch out into soul and r&b, funk, rockabilly, the genres on the fringes of the blues. A lot easier to get gigs in those outfits. While you're doing all this, keep your ear to the ground. Are there ANY local guys who know how to play this stuff? Seek them out, go to their gigs, try to befriend them and maybe get to sit in. That's how I did it. I had a 'lesson' with one guy just so he could see me play basically.. that was the foot in the door for me.

The harder route, if you can't find anyone who already knows how to play it, is to get singing and find a competent rhythm section and teach them to play how you want, and start your own thing. It'll be tough to find the right guys but you might get lucky.

You gotta try to network with people that you dig and make some contacts I guess.. Where are you based?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  15. MR.K

MR.K Member

Yeah man, "Cool By The Pool"

16. Carmour

Carmour Member

oh boy!

tone for days

ReddRanger, mr tom and '56 Merc like this.
  17. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

So, What to do...start your own scene. Find a place to play, a club, a hall, a living room in someones house, somewhere. Play with people you want to play with. Play the music you want to play. Play for people that want to hear it.
    If you go to a Jam, you are with the heard, and subject to the heard rules. Sweet home through a Marshall it is. But, it is important to be and play with like minded people, even if there are only a hand full at first.
    Do the right thing, and it will grow. This music we love,it has power when given a chance. It doesn't always have to be about the lowest common denominator. Just my 2 cents, ymmv..

Jed B, Ferret, Dave Orban and 4 others like this.
  18. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

That's what we did in my area. We are fortunate to have quite a few renowned musicians, actors, T.V./Movie/Broadway show writers and artists living in, and around South Orange, Maplewood and Montclair. Over the last several years, a few of us have convened on a regular basis at a local diner, a couple bars, and then at my home to form a consortium of musicians who were interested in sharing their talents. After some persuading, a few local venues began supporting us, and it's been a slow, but good start. We've started structuring the activities as a guest artist showcase for the first set, and then a theme based open mic for the second and third sets. As an example, at Bunny's, we've reserved non-sports nights so that we can make use of the video system, allowing patrons at the bar to enjoy the music on the wide screen T.V.s. A recent evening included a guest set by Bettye Lavette and her crew, and then some R&B/Soul-jazz/blues for the second and third sets.

Check out these venues to see how far we've gotten.

www.bluemoonhome.com/

www.hatcitykitchen.com/

www.robinsnestrhythmandblues.com/

Bunny's Sports Bar doesn't have a formal website

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bunnys-Restaurant/120526284625238

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Dave Orban and Axis29 like this.
  19. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

What I forgot to add was that when we hold a guest artist or band showcase for the first set, some of their friends, family, followers etc. usually make an appearance at the club. It helps to augment the audience numbers...which is good for the cash register, plus, we receive free promotion on guest performers' website(s).

Axis29 likes this.
  20. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

pete kanaras likes this.