• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

fretshop

Silver Supporting Member
30, count 'em, 30 inches near Baltimore. however i've taken some time from snow removal as my local public TV station has blessed me with a re-run of Tom Waits on ACL circa 1978. I've seen this half a dozen times and it just gets better. west coast blues thru another filter.

sadly the storm cost us one of the best shows we woulda had this year-- Pete sitting in with the Chris O'Leary band at the Cats Eye. hey Pete, where you at?

I spoke to Pete last night...Pete is a survivor. He'll get it done.

pete kanaras

30, count 'em, 30 inches near Baltimore. however i've taken some time from snow removal as my local public TV station has blessed me with a re-run of Tom Waits on ACL circa 1978. I've seen this half a dozen times and it just gets better. west coast blues thru another filter.

sadly the storm cost us one of the best shows we woulda had this year-- Pete sitting in with the Chris O'Leary band at the Cats Eye. hey Pete, where you at?
did three shoveling shifts yesterday and stopped, too damn windy. started up again this morning, 22 to 26 inches average in front of the house and it's Heavy. cleared the sidewalk to the street, all around the jeep and the driveway all the way to the street, booyah! like the James Bond villian's co-conspirator in "Golden Eye" said, "eye ammm inVincible!"

rhartt1234

Blizzard. We have gotten hammered in North Jersey. We've got about a foot of snow and it's now starting to come down with a vengeance. Winds are at about 40 mph and getting worse. Worried about the trees on our property.
Hopefully, we won't lose power. Outside temperature on our thermometer is 21 degrees.

Ricky, Ryan and Pete please report in when time permits.

11:30AM : we're up to about 14" of snow. It's snowing about 3-4" per hour. The wind is getting worse, gusts are over 50 mph., and the wind chill factor makes it feel like about 11 degrees.

I've got 12 inches and it snowed a lot too.;)

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
I'm feeling it today...believe me. Danny is outside with the snow blower at this moment (11:00 AM ). We accumulated another 12-14" last night. The streets are still a terrible mess, and there is a complete restriction on motor travel.

How'd you do up your way ?
Windy over night very cold..6-8 inches of snow...do able..I did my in town gig last night..storm tapered off by midnight.

Axis29

We ended up somewhere between 18 and 20 inches. I did one round of shoveling Friday, one yesterday and three today (I was done after two, then my son showed up and we needed a place to put his truck) Still haven't seen a plow.

It's given me the opportunity to fiddle with my new lap steel (my wife bought me a 50's vintage Old Kraftsman lap steel for my birthday on Friday). Guess that means I can enter into the Steel discussion too, huh? LOL The best thing about it? My wife likes me fiddling on it while we watch TV. She says she can take it better than me noodling on the guitar. Go figure?

Regarding the Filters in a Gibson... I thought about it. That would really fudge with folks heads, huh? LOL Definitely be different. I do have an extra set of Dearmond 2000's laying around? Hmmm, kinda Dynasonic style single coils in a Les Paul Custom? Interesting.... But, they'd probably look kinda funny. Although, I think TVJ makes Tearmonds in a HB mounting.... I dunno, kinda wacky thinking now.

Carmour

So I bought a cool little Regal parlor guitar on the weekend. No truss, ladder braced, strung with flats. Looks absolutely beautiful and sounds perfect for fingerstyle guitar. Melodies really pop out of it. It's a stretch to call this jump blues but I plan on using it for delta and country blues along with any other sort of fingerpicking. Really really enjoying how it feels and sounds though...

fretshop

Silver Supporting Member
We ended up somewhere between 18 and 20 inches. I did one round of shoveling Friday, one yesterday and three today (I was done after two, then my son showed up and we needed a place to put his truck) Still haven't seen a plow.

It's given me the opportunity to fiddle with my new lap steel (my wife bought me a 50's vintage Old Kraftsman lap steel for my birthday on Friday). Guess that means I can enter into the Steel discussion too, huh? LOL The best thing about it? My wife likes me fiddling on it while we watch TV. She says she can take it better than me noodling on the guitar. Go figure?

Regarding the Filters in a Gibson... I thought about it. That would really fudge with folks heads, huh? LOL Definitely be different. I do have an extra set of Dearmond 2000's laying around? Hmmm, kinda Dynasonic style single coils in a Les Paul Custom? Interesting.... But, they'd probably look kinda funny. Although, I think TVJ makes Tearmonds in a HB mounting.... I dunno, kinda wacky thinking now.

If you want to get adventurous, try and find some Guild Humbuckers from the mid 1960's.. Believe me, they sound awesome.

Carmour

So re my regal parlor guitar above. Anyone have any recommendations about how to amplify it? mic? pick up? im at a loss

pete kanaras

If you want to get adventurous, try and find some Guild Humbuckers from the mid 1960's.. Believe me, they sound awesome.
what he said! Guild 'buckers they are their own thing, nothing at all like a trad humbucker and are a great alternative. think Buddy Guy during the "Stone Crazy" period

pete kanaras

QUOTE="Carmour, post: 21298380, member: 118074"]So re my regal parlor guitar above. Anyone have any recommendations about how to amplify it? mic? pick up? im at a loss[/QUOTE]

the plain jane (no preamp) version of the K&K Pure Mini. best acoustic pickup on the planet, and it's only $100 too boot. if you want a Pure acoustic tone believe me, you are done. no under saddle pickup can hold a candle to it, and to find something approaching it's performance you'd have to spend at least triple it's cost. if you do want to spend that much the Trance Audio Amulet M system ($300) is absolutely the one to get. listen to any recent Jackson Browne/Neil Young/Sheryl Crow live youtube videos. simply jaw dropping amplified acoustic tone. those are the two pickups that are head and shoulders above everything else in my opinion. in addition to my own repair work i also help out at a huge regional repair shop a few days a week and we do a Lot of acoustic pickup installs. the K&K is the one we recommend every time. the store has all the usual suspects, the LR Baggs and Fishmans and whatnot, and the $100 K&K kicks all their asses to the curb. we feel so strongly about that pickup that up until very recently the store wasn't even a dealer, so we had to get them ourselves and get reimbursed. yeah, the K&K is That good....

Last edited:

Axis29

QUOTE="Carmour, post: 21298380, member: 118074"]So re my regal parlor guitar above. Anyone have any recommendations about how to amplify it? mic? pick up? im at a loss
the plain jane (no preamp) version of the K&K Pure Mini. best acoustic pickup on the planet, and it's only $100 too boot. if you want a Pure acoustic tone believe me, you are done. no under saddle pickup can hold a candle to it, and to find something approaching it's performance you'd have to spend at least triple it's cost. if you do want to spend that much the Trance Audio Amulet M system ($300) is absolutely the one to get. listen to any recent Jackson Browne/Neil Young/Sheryl Crow live youtube videos. simply jaw dropping amplified acoustic tone. those are the two pickups that are head and shoulders above everything else in my opinion. in addition to my own repair work i also help out at a huge regional repair shop a few days a week and we do a Lot of acoustic pickup installs. the K&K is the one we recommend every time. the store has all the usual suspects, the LR Baggs and Fishmans and whatnot, and the $100 K&K kicks all their asses to the curb. we feel so strongly about that pickup that up until very recently the store wasn't even a dealer, so we had to get them ourselves and get reimbursed. yeah, the K&K is That good....[/QUOTE]

Actually..... I have a JJB Electronics pickup that's very similar. It was much cheaper when I bought it (like $29 + shipping, I wanna say). THey've gone up a few bucks But, they are still a little less expensive than the K&K. For me, it was an experiment. I still have my very first guitar, a Fender dreadnought that I bought when my dad was an accountant for a music store. I love the stupid thing. It's in excellent shape, but I had no way to easily amplify it. So, I did some reading and took a shot on the JJB system. Like Pete says, it works. I think the K&Ks have some better setups and certainly a longer standing reputation. The transducers are slightly larger on the JJB. There's debate about what that does. I dunno. I am not any kind of expert. But, I like the saddle brace transducer style pickups a lot. With a halfway decent DI box into a PA, the thing sounds like my guitar unplugged. Without care, it can get a little boomy. BUt it's very natural. None of the weird quack of the UST systems.

mannish

QUOTE="Carmour, post: 21298380, member: 118074"]So re my regal parlor guitar above. Anyone have any recommendations about how to amplify it? mic? pick up? im at a loss
the plain jane (no preamp) version of the K&K Pure Mini. best acoustic pickup on the planet, and it's only $100 too boot. if you want a Pure acoustic tone believe me, you are done. no under saddle pickup can hold a candle to it, and to find something approaching it's performance you'd have to spend at least triple it's cost. if...[/QUOTE]

I have the K&K in my Nick Lucas (reissue) works great - I don't do under saddle rather use a soundhole pickup than under saddle - IMHO you can't beat the Mic'd tone of an acoustic guitar but was not always feasible for me depending on the situation. I tend to move too much

stratocat63

Silver Supporting Member
the plain jane (no preamp) version of the K&K Pure Mini. best acoustic pickup on the planet, and it's only $100 too boot. if you want a Pure acoustic tone believe me, you are done. no under saddle pickup can hold a candle to it, and to find something approaching it's performance you'd have to spend at least triple it's cost. if you do want to spend that much the Trance Audio Amulet M system ($300) is absolutely the one to get. listen to any recent Jackson Browne/Neil Young/Sheryl Crow live youtube videos. simply jaw dropping amplified acoustic tone. those are the two pickups that are head and shoulders above everything else in my opinion. in addition to my own repair work i also help out at a huge regional repair shop a few days a week and we do a Lot of acoustic pickup installs. the K&K is the one we recommend every time. the store has all the usual suspects, the LR Baggs and Fishmans and whatnot, and the $100 K&K kicks all their asses to the curb. we feel so strongly about that pickup that up until very recently the store wasn't even a dealer, so we had to get them ourselves and get reimbursed. yeah, the K&K is That good....
I strongly second this. Put that thing through a decent pre and don't look back. Got those in my old Guild D-35, really good for live playing. For my money, you need a good EQ and lots of gain/headroom. I freaking hate piezo quack/artifacts whatever you call it. K&K, none of that, just a natural balanced sound in my experience and I can pluck or strike a string pretty darned hard, no problem.

I have not had the same results with the resonator pickup I got from them a few years back, but it's a cheap cone so that could be it.

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
Those smaller Guild 'buckers are indeed lovely. I can get the reissues, which I have not heard yet, but according to Guild, were reverse engineered and properly done, down to having different wire gauges for the bridge and neck.

pete kanaras

Those smaller Guild 'buckers are indeed lovely. I can get the reissues, which I have not heard yet, but according to Guild, were reverse engineered and properly done, down to having different wire gauges for the bridge and neck.
can you get the reissue asian made Franz pickups as well?

fretshop

Silver Supporting Member
O.K., so I've let the cat out of the bag about the 60's Guild Humbuckers....there are four other "sleeper" pickups that some of my studio/session people also covet:

The Super Ferrite pickups from the old Peavey T-15 guitars. Great, snappy, Broadcaster meets P-90 tone.

The Bill Lawrence designed electronics/pickups/Varitone from the 70's Gibson L-6 S guitar. If you can get the whole system, the harness...everything, you'll be amazed at the sounds and tones you will be able to achieve.

During the 80's and early 90's, Hondo II Strat style guitars came outfitted with pickups very similar in appearance and construction to the Fender Squire pickups. The Hondos were a bit more powerful, and had a clearer tone.
I mentioned these pickups to Duke Robillard, and he advised that he was using the Squire version in some of his Strats, at that particular time, and loved them. He was also using a Sovtek P.A. head for an amp at the time. The issues with the Hondo Pickups was that the covers were impossible to remove...so if you got a black set, you couldn't swap the covers out for white covers. I still have some session players who use them, and are always on the lookout for them.

The Van Zandt True Vintage Strat and Telecaster pckups. The Strat pickups were originally designed for Anson Funderburgh, who had his slightly underwound. My favorite 50's Strat style pickups. The True Vintage Telecaster set. W.L. Vanzandt was a BIG Steel Guitar and Telecaster buff, and that South Texas meets Bakersfield tone is there in spades. To my ears, they are "Albert Collins meets Jimmy Bryant".

Enough of me already.

Last edited:

tapeworm

yes they do! my 69 SFV

You'll get different opinions depending on who you ask, but the reissues aren't even close. I have tried several of each reissue model equipped with them. Just not the same imo.

Carmour

Some blues on the regal, sounds alright for slide.Man I shouldve taken some video of me doing some Tiny Grimes stuff on the tenor guitar they had at the shop! so killer, ****s with your brain playing on a tenor I tell you what.

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
O.K., so I've let the cat out of the bag about the 60's Guild Humbuckers....there are four other "sleeper" pickups that some of my studio/session people also covet:

The Super Ferrite pickups from the old Peavey T-15 guitars. Great, snappy, Broadcaster meets P-90 tone.

The Bill Lawrence designed electronics/pickups/Varitone from the 70's Gibson L-6 S guitar. If you can get the whole system, the harness...everything, you'll be amazed at the sounds and tones you will be able to achieve.

During the 80's and early 90's, Hondo II Strat style guitars came outfitted with pickups very similar in appearance and construction to the Fender Squire pickups. The Hondos were a bit more powerful, and had a clearer tone.
I mentioned these pickups to Duke Robillard, and he advised that he was using the Squire version in some of his Strats, at that particular time, and loved them. He was also using a Sovtek P.A. head for an amp at the time. The issues with the Hondo Pickups was that the covers were impossible to remove...so if you got a black set, you couldn't swap the covers out for white covers. I still have some session players who use them, and are always on the lookout for them.

The Van Zandt True Vintage Strat and Telecaster pckups. The Strat pickups were originally designed for Anson Funderburgh, who had his slightly underwound. My favorite 50's Strat style pickups. The True Vintage Telecaster set. W.L. Vanzandt was a BIG Steel Guitar and Telecaster buff, and that South Texas meets Bakersfield tone is there in spades. To my ears, they are "Albert Collins meets Jimmy Bryant".

Enough of me already.
Hi, Duke sure was/is a fan of those Korean, pickups, as was I. He also got a great tone out of the Sovtek Mig 15 head, but I was always amazed by the sound he got out of a Peavey PA head, with no lo-z inputs, all hi-z.
Beautiful tones...with some kind of cabinet w/ an EV speaker. I believe the rig can be seen and heard here...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom