• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
Another great vid - Thanks for sharing Chris. Your bring some cool licks & sounds out of that little box!

StaxKing

With thanks to Sweetfinger of these very pages ( :) ) I have finally got my '53 Gretsch Constellation 6030-1 loaded up with a Dearmond pickup!! Yes!! Sweetfinger was kind enough to sell me an arm for it. He also sent me the most bangingly kool cd of local music to where he lives. You USA boys rock!! So generous.

I have been dreaming about such an event for years. Ever since I saw the cover of Junior Watson's Long Overdue album for the first time, in fact.

Anyway, it has just been fitted (about three hours ago by a good friend) and I just had a quickie 5 min go with my Louis Electric Gattone (with just an obligatory Boss FRV-1 in line). I just love it. I made a video of the moment (for my record as usual) and I am happy to share it with my friends here. It gets its first gig tonight so straight at it. Hopefully it will stand-up.

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
Well this sucks--my band's best gig is now banning guitar amps--everything has to go through the board due to noise complaints/law suits. Ironically we're probably one of the quietest bands there! Anyway, I'm not sure where to start as pretty much all of my amps are vintage. Our harp player has played through a lunchbox amp going direct--sounds ok. I'd love to hear suggestions on how I could get a decent tone--maybe some type of a preamp that could feed into my pedalboard? Multi-effects pedalboard with amp simulation? Quilter head? Pod? Some type of line-out device to use with my existing vintage amp? I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. Of course I don't want to spend a ton of money. Thanks!

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Well this sucks--my band's best gig is now banning guitar amps--everything has to go through the board due to noise complaints/law suits. Ironically we're probably one of the quietest bands there! Anyway, I'm not sure where to start as pretty much all of my amps are vintage. Our harp player has played through a lunchbox amp going direct--sounds ok. I'd love to hear suggestions on how I could get a decent tone--maybe some type of a preamp that could feed into my pedalboard? Multi-effects pedalboard with amp simulation? Quilter head? Pod? Some type of line-out device to use with my existing vintage amp? I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. Of course I don't want to spend a ton of money. Thanks!
P.O.D. 2.0.....
Quilter 101 mini

schultzvil

In the Clean Channel
Gold Supporting Member
hey guys just for fun gotta share this- nothing earth-shattering, but kinda cool. Last Thursday somewhere in Normandy, France. A 14th century Chateau, no less.. was some kind of dinner event/ fundraiser/ sponsor evening associated with Seven Nights To Blues fest in Lille, FR. (a cool one)
This is Big Pete and some of his dutch all stars (Jody van Ooijen- outstanding drummer) with yours truly along for this tour. Solid body L.P. type thing into a Blues DeVille. Real nice band, and for a lark, Pete and I were talking about Watson & Clarke, and "Drinking Beer" and he said "let's do it- tonight!" So...

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
Hey cool Alex! Sometimes those impromptu things are just the best! Very tasty solo. Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated on your adventures.

What an amazing venue too.

schultzvil

In the Clean Channel
Gold Supporting Member
What an amazing venue too. That's for sure!! It was amazing. We got to sleep there too. Beautiful place. There are other clips from that night on which I am more 'engaged' than this one- with singer Deb Ryder. Easy to monday-morning quarterback oneself when the YouTube clips start coming in... damn, why didn't I do THAT? Why DID I do that?? etc. But the saying goes: "no excuses" .

stratocat63

Silver Supporting Member
Well this sucks--...

I'd love to hear suggestions on how I could get a decent tone--maybe some type of a preamp that could feed into my pedalboard? Multi-effects pedalboard with amp simulation? Quilter head? Pod? Some type of line-out device to use with my existing vintage amp? I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. Of course I don't want to spend a ton of money. Thanks!
If you happen to have a laptop and an interface, software could be an option. I've been doing solo gigs with Scuffham S-gear. It's good enough that I dropped a nice tube pre and Peavey Valverb front end and am cool with it. For me, it's more what you play, than being really picky about nuance of tone, in certain situations, fwiw. Which means all kinds of stuff could work. Solo, I take my laptop to the gig anyway, so being less for me to carry and setup, is the attraction but I wouldn't use it if it wasn't doing the job. I suppose a POD, an old J-Station, one of those tech 21 boxes, practically anything could get it done.

The hardest thing about it, for my ears, is countering the tweeter in PA speaker cab; knocking down that high end and still retaining some clarity. Dialing out almost all my treble, is so counter intuitive, I had to, yet again, learn not to dial in with my eyes.

StaxKing

Tough to have to play via the pa direct all night. :(

A quilter is king. Add a Nocturne pre amp pedal and you are there. Personally I'd get an old pod. And I'd find a good bassman setting that will go clean to dirty with guitar volume adjustment and forget the pedalboard.

Spend your money on a good monitor or in ear equipment so you can hear what is going on.

Nightmare situation. :(

Good luck with it. :)

StaxKing

Oh, just a thought, what about one of those isolation speaker cabs with the built in mic etc? When I was in Vegas (too long ago... :( ), they were all using them. Sounded great.

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
hey guys just for fun gotta share this- nothing earth-shattering, but kinda cool. Last Thursday somewhere in Normandy, France. A 14th century Chateau, no less.. was some kind of dinner event/ fundraiser/ sponsor evening associated with Seven Nights To Blues fest in Lille, FR. (a cool one)
This is Big Pete and some of his dutch all stars (Jody van Ooijen- outstanding drummer) with yours truly along for this tour. Solid body L.P. type thing into a Blues DeVille. Real nice band, and for a lark, Pete and I were talking about Watson & Clarke, and "Drinking Beer" and he said "let's do it- tonight!" So...
I have played there as well, a beautiful venue!

schultzvil

In the Clean Channel
Gold Supporting Member
I have played there as well, a beautiful venue!
your name did come up last week, Ricky- with Patrick - the "naughty boy" of the French Blues scene! Great character, I've known him since he brought Rod & the Flyers to Lille in 1989

Axis29

A few months ago I picked up a Joyo American Sound (a clone of the Tech21 Blond, I think). I keep it in my gig bag for a backup. I haven't had to sue it yet. But I did play with it a few times at practice. It works well enough. The rest of the band never even noticed I hadn't brought my amp in. Kinda depressing really... LOL

It does a decent tweed to blackface tone. Maybe not perfect, certainly not completely as dynamic as a tube amp, but good enough for live use. In all honesty, it sounds decent enough that nobody in the audience would probably ever notice. You just run your pedal board into the Amp sim pedal and all's good.

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks all for the recommendations for going direct. Right now I'm leaning towards the Mesa Cabclone--it will allow me to use my existing amps, and it incorporates a dummy load/cab simulation/DI in one unit. That way I won't stray too far from what I'm used to. Still doing a little more research.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom