• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

rhartt1234

I guess I was wondering if there was something more guitar-centric going on, like the lick was based around a chord shape. As I think about it a little more it does look like he's playing around with the Gsus, G major, and G minor (All Your Love I Miss Loving chord)
___10______ ___10______ ___10______
___13______ ___12______ ___11______
___12______ ___12______ ___12______
___________ ___________ ___________

Thinsocks

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I was wondering if there was something more guitar-centric going on, like the lick was based around a chord shape. As I think about it a little more it does look like he's playing around with the Gsus, G major, and G minor (All Your Love I Miss Loving chord)
___10______ ___10______ ___10______
___13______ ___12______ ___11______
___12______ ___12______ ___12______
In CAGED I think of that as the "A" chord shape/orbit

groove_king

I don't do the intro 'ZACKLY like B, but he did it differently each time he played it, too. Because the intro is unaccompanied, I focus on getting the groove happening, so when the band hits, we're off and racing.

StaxKing

CAGED? Hey man, the free form Jazz thread is somewhere else!
So says the man that just yesterday wrote: "In bar 3 he plays the minor 3rd (Bb) in bar 4 he plays the major 3rd (B). You could substitute either and the phrase still sounds fine."
;):p;):p
lol.

[I'm lovin all this theory talk btw. Very grown-up and quite inspirational to boot :):):):)]

fretshop

Silver Supporting Member
I'm trying to get my friend Ron to join the thread. He's a very good west coast influenced guitarist with a nice collection of vintage guitars and amps.

Ron came over yesterday with some issues involving his Topanga Reverb. When he set the volume at full (5:00 O'clock) he got an intermittent, but nasty distortion upon playing. I've never used the volume on full...but I noticed the same distortion when I used his settings on my Topangas; the distortion came and went, intermittently...with mine as well. Catalinbread advised that the distortion was normal, but they agreed to replace the circuitry if Ron wasn't happy.

Odd.

I A-B'd my Boss FRV-1 against both my Topangas. Some folks turn their noses up at the Boss pedal...but it can get a pretty admirable tank thing going when it's set right. Not bad for a pedal in it's price range. The only improvement I would like is a crisper tone....a tad more high end.

I tried nether the Topanga nor the Boss, but a Subdecay Spring Theory A/Bed with a Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb. I went for the Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb. Differences were subtle, but after all the Spring Reverb felt a little more lively and present. It actually boosts the treble of the signal a super tiny bit, even if you dial in no reverb at all. This slightly more present feel of the pedal plus it's very effective controls (deep woooosh without it ringing out for hours and hours, so you get the feel and sound of reverb without having it completely washing out the sound of the band) made me go for it.
I don't know, if reverb matters to you as much as it does to me (reverb is love, reverb is life) you might want to check it out if one crosses your way sometime.

By the way, does anyone know who played guitar for Roy Brown and Wynonie Harris? Listen to those a lot lately and could not find out, but there's lots of cool things going on.

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
George, the Topanga seems to be a bit temperamental in some scenarios... I've read of other cases of distortion like you describe, so it seems to be inherent in the design.

It works best for me with the Tone and Volume around 10 o'clock (just about unity gain).

Then there's the silly easter egg modulation "feature" that is engaged when powered down with the Tone control turned down.

fretshop

Silver Supporting Member
George, the Topanga seems to be a bit temperamental in some scenarios... I've read of other cases of distortion like you describe, so it seems to be inherent in the design.

It works best for me with the Tone and Volume around 10 o'clock (just about unity gain).

Then there's the silly easter egg modulation "feature" that is engaged when powered down with the Tone control turned down.

Hi Sean,

As always, I appreciate your input.

We recommend Reverb systems (pedals and standing units) depending on price point. In the consumer friendly price "range" here in the metro NY/NJ area...I have to say that we went back to recommending the Boss FRV-1. The Topanga is more transparent, but the quirks (ie) "Easter Egg" and the distortion at volumes past 12:00 O'Clock on the volume control were a serious issue.

We DO like The Mad Professor in it's price range though.

Best...and cheers !!

G

StaxKing

I ditched the Topanga due to the easter egg thing and fact it reacted differently day to day.

Odd.

The boss FRV-1 is killer. I love mine. Watson uses one as do a few other grown-ups. A strong contender when a tank is impractical.

Carmour

Considering a move over to Melbourne, Aus. Anyone here from there? NZ is a small pond I'm looking to get gigging and touring playing almost anything... Blues, R&B, soul, rockabilly, country, americana. Kind of desperate to get out of NZ for a bit.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Considering a move over to Melbourne, Aus. Anyone here from there? NZ is a small pond I'm looking to get gigging and touring playing almost anything... Blues, R&B, soul, rockabilly, country, americana. Kind of desperate to get out of NZ for a bit.
I'm from Melbourne but haven't lived there since 1990, except for a couple of 6 month stints. At various times it has been the best place for a musician who wants to work. It's better for enthusiasts, those who are really into whatever they are into. Sydney is more fashion conscious and fickle. But, as always, it depends what scene you land in. Dave Hogan who sings and plays blues harp is from NZ and has been based in Melbourne for over 30 years. I think he's still there and still playing. Fire me some questions and I'll ask friends of mine still living there. Even after I left I knew and kept somewhat in touch with the blues, jazz and western swing scene but since I moved to Chicago 7 years ago I've been much less in touch.

youngbill

not in melbourne but newcastle, a jaunty 11 hour drive. I was there in december, A bit busy now, I'll try to check in tomorrow with an inspirational post for you.

StaxKing

Just a thought, get yourself to California meet up with the guys, do 6 months there really hammering and honing in on the WC thing and then fly back to Melbourne. You arrive as the guy that played in Cali with 'the guys' rather than the guy that needed to break out of NZ and hopes one day to get to California. Just a thought. :) :) :) :)

jsb

Speaking of reverbs, I will throw in my two cents for the holy grail nano. Cheap, simple, and infind it really sensitive to pick attack as well as type of guitar. It's the pick attack that really sells it for me. I use it with my tungsten Cortez and even with my '68 deluxe reverb instead of the on board reverb. I find it way to splashy and wobbly(?) sounding.

Which brings me to a question:

What tank belongs in a silver faced deluxe reverb? (chassis is stamped '67. It also has the pinlines on the face plate)

I'm pretty sure I have the wrong tank in it. A replacement thrown in by an amp tech years ago when I got it repaired and wasn't really paying attention to this type of thing.

pete kanaras

that catlinbread, in demo vids, sounds So damn good. but it seems, just like electroharmonix, they can't resist throwing in an off the wall feature that 99% of users would never ever use. oy, "Flurb" anyone?!? but on the ither hand i owned a real '63 and never came close to opening up the dwell and mix knobs to full either, as i'm not a surf guitarist. the HG does sound great but the single knob thing is way too limiting for dialing in room sounds. great pick sensitivity. so, i need to reinvestigate the Boss unit again

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
I have the Boss and the Topanga. I've had the Boss for a long time and just got the Topanga--I like them both, but I find the Topanga harder to dial in as the controls are interactive like most of their pedals. I run the volume about unity so no distortion issues. I just got the CB Talisman plate reverb too--it's a cool pedal with a different sound. A little spam--will offer up my mint tweed Clark outboard tank here first fo $700 out the doo to US address. That's $1000 off! Just need to make space and I have an od Fender that I've had forever.

pete kanaras

P.O.D. 2.0.....
Quilter 101 mini
yeah on the Pod V2. you need to load the program into your computer for fine tweaking, simultaneously through a regular amp, and they can be a real ass saver on the road in "no onstage amps" situations. sound surprisingly good too in backline situations if the amp has an effects loop. plug the ol' kidney bean into the loop, which bypasses the amp's preamp. sure beats having to deal with a JC120 on it's own. in other Road Dog news, we (the Chris O'Leary Band) got caught in that massive blizzard pileup accident on I-90 in Ohio yesterday. one of the worst i've seen, omg. we weren't involved in it and we're all fine. but it meant having to cancel the gig in Pomeroy (Court St Grill, a Grrreat room) and drive straight to Indy for tonight's hit at the Noodle. that meant 15 solid hours in the band van, ugh....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom