• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

stratocat63

Silver Supporting Member
That's great really thanks so much. I think it is all over the blues internet too, now. Saw it on another Facebook group.

PB+J

Pretty sure that song where's he's counting up --1234, 5678, 910 is just a variant on Smiley Lewis's hit "can't stop lovin' you, an awesome tune indeed:

Thin Slices

Hi folks
Long time since I've been here. I just want to chime in with the results of a 10" speaker test I did with my guitar playing buddy. I have been looking for a long time for replacement speakers for my bf Super Reverb. I have played through rented backline SRs with different speakers, Devilles etc. and have been on the speaker search for almost ten years now.

The speakers we tried:
CTS 10" alnico (silver colored frame), possibly gone bad (VERY low output, somewhat mushy).
Fender/Emi blue frame alnico 10" in a 90ies Vibro King
Weber CTA 10" alnico (clones of CTS 10" alnico)
Fender/Emi special design OEM V1030 (stock speaker from a 4x10 Deville)

And for comparison some 12" speakers that we tried on same occasion Stock ceramics in a 73 Pro Reverb, C12K that I use in both of my two bf Deluxe Reverbs, stock ceramic speaker in 66 Deluxe Reverb, Celestion Blue, EVM 12L (!!). I've got some old amps with old jensen alnicos (12" and 15") and other new Jensen type speakers (Weber 12F150 and others) that we didn't try but I know how they sound. I recently played backline SRs with Emi Delta Deamons and Devilles with both the V1030 and the alnico blue. Also played a Marshall combo with celestion 10" speakers that I tried to run a deluxe reverb through. All this just to say that I have been on a speaker hunt for years and though Im no expert I have some references.

Conclusion:
The Fender/Emi special design OEM V1030 is simply outstanding for mid 60ies Jensen tone!! It is FAR better that the hyped blue frame.

I use them in a 5E7 bandmaster clone for a more early 60ies tone. My bandmate was so impressed that he bought some for his 66 Super Reverb on the www the day after our shooutout. Before the test he was certain that he wanted the blue frame speakers. But our ears agreed that EVERY amp and guitar combination sounded much better through the V1030 than through anything else including all the 12" speakers we tried.

Im going for something a bit less vintage correct form my Super Reverb (I want something between a jensen and a jbl). But for true vintage blackface tone I don't think one could find a new speaker that sounded better than the plain vanilla Fender/Emi OEM V1030.

Last edited:

Thin Slices

PS: The vibe we were after is sorta late 60ies live Magic Sam and BB/late 70ies Jimmie Vaughan. No pedals, amp run pretty much wide open but backed up quite a bit on both the guitar vol and tone.

stratocat63

Silver Supporting Member
Every amp/guitar is some strong praise. It is so hard to get clips in context of music I want to use things with but that is something I believe I could benefit from hearing. Got any?

Btw, if you guys were gonna get some fifties P10R Jensen alnicos reconed who would you use?

Thin Slices

No clips made, sorry. I will try to remember to record something at the next gigs when we get EOM V1030 speakers into my buddys SR.

Unfortunately I know nothing about reconing. I wish I did because I have three CTS alnicos and my bandmate has got four that are blown or tired. But Im not throwing $ after reconing unless I get some qualified 1st hand advise from someone I trust or get to hear the result of some reconed CTS myself... Ive been to so much dissapointment buying speakers. Almost only trust my own ears by now. :-S

By the way, I took Pete Kanaras advise on the plain vanilla C12K for a Deluxe Reverb. Now I have c12K speakers in both my old bf Deluxe Reverbs. Awesome speaker for a cranked DR. Much, much better than the Weber 12F150 25W for my purpose.

Also, I think that the stock speaker in Blues Deluxe (again a fender special design, Fender/Emi) sound very fendery and good however, that speaker is very underpowered in that amp. I wouldn't run it in my DR as I like being able to drive the amp without a lot of speaker breakup. I like speaker compression and character but in blackface/silverface amps I dont like much of that raspy distortion Jensen type speakers develop at loud settings. Mind you, the specials design 12" IS very bright - sorta opposite the C12K - and the V1030 is bright as well but I think they sound very 60ies and react great to rolling the guitar tone down.

Last edited:

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, for re-coning I like..
Speaker Workshop
1707 N. Harrison St.
Fort Wayne IN 46808
260-426-8742
I am not affiliated, He re-coned 4 various Jensen's for me..did a good job and they sound good!

stratocat63

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Ricky I will check their prices.

Mr Thin Slices appreciate it. Yeah I did not get the 12F150 love either and have one under the bed. I actually really liked the original Oxfords in my DRs, both early SF versions. Could have been the amp I put the Weber in. I like their alnico speakers so far, every one I have had. have not been crazy about their ceramics for whatever reason. I have a Cali ceramic 12 I may stick in my remaining DR to hear it, but the amp itself is possessed by a really narrow bandwidth, kind of a one trick pony (it is a great trick though) and I don't use it a lot unless I am recording something where I need that. And I am not generally recording any more.

As far as re-coning, yeah I also have a set from an old Super Reverb, '67 I think, that are blown. I'm doing the old Bassman speakers first though.

groove_king

Hey guys

A PSA. There's a dude on YouTube who goes by the name of "Blues Collector" who has uploaded hundreds of complete albums you reprobates would dig (if you don't already have most of them already). Lots of early Lowell Fulson, Johnny Guitar Watson, Bill Jennings, T-Bone Walker, etc. right up to recent albums from a bunch of the European West Coast-style bands (Trick Bag, Vidar Busk, etc.) and Lynwood, Watson, etc.

He hasn't been around for long, and I'm pretty sure he'll receive a copyright infringement cease and desist any day, but it was great getting to hear some of these records for the first time over the weekend.

pete kanaras

No clips made, sorry. I will try to remember to record something at the next gigs when we get EOM V1030 speakers into my buddys SR.

Unfortunately I know nothing about reconing. I wish I did because I have three CTS alnicos and my bandmate has got four that are blown or tired. But Im not throwing $ after reconing unless I get some qualified 1st hand advise from someone I trust or get to hear the result of some reconed CTS myself... Ive been to so much dissapointment buying speakers. Almost only trust my own ears by now. :-S

By the way, I took Pete Kanaras advise on the plain vanilla C12K for a Deluxe Reverb. Now I have c12K speakers in both my old bf Deluxe Reverbs. Awesome speaker for a cranked DR. Much, much better than the Weber 12F150 25W for my purpose.

Also, I think that the stock speaker in Blues Deluxe (again a fender special design, Fender/Emi) sound very fendery and good however, that speaker is very underpowered in that amp. I wouldn't run it in my DR as I like being able to drive the amp without a lot of speaker breakup. I like speaker compression and character but in blackface/silverface amps I dont like much of that raspy distortion Jensen type speakers develop at loud settings. Mind you, the specials design 12" IS very bright - sorta opposite the C12K - and the V1030 is bright as well but I think they sound very 60ies and react great to rolling the guitar tone down.
Yeah that C12K is wonderful but boy it needs a Long time to break in. you just need a lot of patience with it, around 80-100 hours i'd say. Think of it as a slightly darker real C12N that refuses to cave in on you when you turn the wick up. I have a 3 position bright switch (off/dr value/twin reverb value) in channel 2 of my DR, and for the first time I can use that 3rd position without grimacing. I ain't kidding; Neck-middle Strat tones to make a young Buddy Guy smile. Turn the switch off, wind the amp up a bit and there's your Tele bridge pickup tones to die for. Super versatile speaker. Haha tell all your DRRI speaker rolling friends they suck and get 'em cheap!

Thin Slices

Pete, where is that 3 position switch located? Also, is the bright switch (cap?) value on dr/pro/super/twin all different? Regarding break in of the C12K, I got both of my C12Ks (well) used in for next to nothing. They sound the same and I think they are broken long time ago but who knows.

pete kanaras

I had the switch installed in the #2 input of channel 2. most of the black/silver faces had the same value bright cap but one (super or twin, I forget) had a larger value. It'a useful for certain things but it rarely gets used. Position 2 is stock deluxe and stays there most of the time, and off is really useful too

fretshop

Silver Supporting Member
I had the switch installed in the #2 input of channel 2. most of the black/silver faces had the same value bright cap but one (super or twin, I forget) had a larger value. It'a useful for certain things but it rarely gets used. Position 2 is stock deluxe and stays there most of the time, and off is really useful too
Pete, The standard Black/Silverface bright cap was a ceramic 120 Pf cap. Chris had some very useful boost cap/resistor mods. He explained a few to me and we discussed the component values, but, darnit !! I just don't remember. I'll be going up to see him within the next few weeks to pick up my '62 Concert amp, and have him mod my Bandmaster head.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom