• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Greetings.... thought I'd post a head's up on the new Boss Katana amps in regards to the West Coast sound. I picked up the 50 watt combo last week & have been getting some decent results. There's a huge thread on them in the Amps section, but I believe it's a solid state amp that's being controlled/manipulated by a digital processor. (it's not a modeling amp) For example, when you roll your volume knob back, the chip tells the power section to clean up etc. I'm no expert on the tech part, but this thing really does respond like a tube amp. More so than my Quilter... and the on board effects are great too, at least the ones I use. (reverb. term & delay) The first clip is my Tele and the Boss amp set for some breakup & a bit of Holmstrom style analog delay. For comparison, the second clip is my H62 thru an old Stromberg-Carlson PA amp. So far, I'm digging' mine. It's light weight, loud & cheap!

[SOUNDCLOUD]
[SOUNDCLOUD]
The Boss sounds good, Kinda Watsony..Love the Stromberg-Carlson!

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Y'all
I have to share..I just last night took possession of a 2016 Aztec Gold AVRI 59 maple neck Strat (from our own Back Alley Nick)
I must say, it was one of the most profound experiences with a new guitar I have had.
EVERYTHING IS PERFECT! right out of the case..nuts on in every aspect. Cool color too..
If a Strat is in your future, I would start here...IMHO...YMMV

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Y'all
I have to share..I just last night took possession of a 2016 Aztec Gold AVRI 59 maple neck Strat (from our own Back Alley Nick)
I must say, it was one of the most profound experiences with a new guitar I have had.
EVERYTHING IS PERFECT! right out of the case..nuts on in every aspect. Cool color too..
If a Strat is in your future, I would start here...IMHO...YMMV
A numbers of years ago, I was in Bananas At Large in San Rafael. I tried an AVRI Strat, Black. I think it was the '62 version. I really, really loved that guitar.... I just couldn't quite talk the wife into it.

I still think about that Strat....

Hope your 59 is that good and makes you happy for years to come!

Thinsocks

Not sure what changed, but those recent AVRI Fenders and recent VOS Gibson ES models are some of the best guitars either company has made since back in the Golden Years.

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure what changed, but those recent AVRI Fenders and recent VOS Gibson ES models are some of the best guitars either company has made since back in the Golden Years.
I sure like my '59 VOS 330. Lots of sounds in that one and is quality all the way around. Only thing I don't care for are the small tuner buttons, but after the night's first tuneup I don't have to use them much.

Birdseye

Gold Supporting Member
I got an AVRI 52 Tele this year and it is a great one, neck and pickups are all spot on. Used to be you had to get the CS Nocaster to get this level of quality, now this one is right there, pickups might even be better.

tapeworm

I picked up this beauty a week ago and haven't been able to put it down. I have to say, at least as far as these ES-3XX style guitars are concerned, Gibson Memphis is putting out some amazing instruments these days. This is actually the first guitar I've ever bought brand new. The Memphis Historic Spec pickups sound phenomenal in all settings.

Carmour

Recording Update:

Had a great rehearsal last night with the band I'm going to be recording my tunes with. Kind of threw them in the deep end with no direction at all just to see what they would bring to the tunes without any sort of hint as to what I wanted. I'm such a fan of this method because as soon as you give direction you influence their natural reaction to the tune, why not just give it a jam first with 0 direction and THEN tweak it from there. Who knows what kind of cool ideas you'll get. A few tunes got thrown on their heads with some brand new drum feels and bass lines. Really lifted those particular tunes and gave them more dynamics. Stoked. Sax player is killer and switching it up between tenor and baritone depending on the tune. Fingers crossed we get all 10 tunes done in the day. It's a tall order that's for sure.

At this point it has been wittled down to 8 originals and 2 covers (Blues in D Natural and 44 Blues as a slide instr). Rest are a mixture of west coast/jump, jazz, latin influenced blues, texas blues (anson/jlv, not srv), and kinda gut bucket meat & potatoes chicago stuff

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Recording Update:

Had a great rehearsal last night with the band I'm going to be recording my tunes with. Kind of threw them in the deep end with no direction at all just to see what they would bring to the tunes without any sort of hint as to what I wanted. I'm such a fan of this method because as soon as you give direction you influence their natural reaction to the tune, why not just give it a jam first with 0 direction and THEN tweak it from there. Who knows what kind of cool ideas you'll get. A few tunes got thrown on their heads with some brand new drum feels and bass lines. Really lifted those particular tunes and gave them more dynamics. Stoked. Sax player is killer and switching it up between tenor and baritone depending on the tune. Fingers crossed we get all 10 tunes done in the day. It's a tall order that's for sure.

At this point it has been wittled down to 8 originals and 2 covers (Blues in D Natural and 44 Blues as a slide instr). Rest are a mixture of west coast/jump, jazz, latin influenced blues, texas blues (anson/jlv, not srv), and kinda gut bucket meat & potatoes chicago stuff
Can't Wait to hear it..

Carmour

Got all 10 tunes done today. Band sounded great. Getting sent a rough mix tomorrow night. Very happy with how it went. Sadly didn't end up playing the '63 strat and '59 es-175 (get this, the guy drove all the way out, had told his son to load them up, turned up to the studio 1 hr drive away, no guitars..) but actually not overly fussed. It means the album will be more indicative of my sound as it was all done on the Partscaster tele aka the Tele-Porter, my #1 guitar that i use for 99.9% of my gigs! The flint strymon absolutely killed for reverb & tremolo. I NEED one of these in my rig. They are to die for. Fulltone tape echo got a bit of play on 3 tunes. Mostly just Telecaster into Victoria 20112.

Had a blast. Was a long & exhausting day though.

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Got all 10 tunes done today. Band sounded great. Getting sent a rough mix tomorrow night. Very happy with how it went. Sadly didn't end up playing the '63 strat and '59 es-175 (get this, the guy drove all the way out, had told his son to load them up, turned up to the studio 1 hr drive away, no guitars..) but actually not overly fussed. It means the album will be more indicative of my sound as it was all done on the Partscaster tele aka the Tele-Porter, my #1 guitar that i use for 99.9% of my gigs! The flint strymon absolutely killed for reverb & tremolo. I NEED one of these in my rig. They are to die for. Fulltone tape echo got a bit of play on 3 tunes. Mostly just Telecaster into Victoria 20112.

Had a blast. Was a long & exhausting day though.
Things going as you say, I congratulate you!! Good Job!! We all await a listen..

Trending Topics