• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Good morning, brains trust.

Listening to "If I Had a Genie", the Watson version and for the life of me parts of the 3rd verse are like Sanskrit. The Johnny Otis original doesn't appear to be available online, so I was wondering if anyone here can decipher the words?

Thanks all.
My duo is doing this now. Here's our take on verse 3 based on (mis)hearing of the Earl Jackson version:

Move to my estate
Service better still
Day and all night service if you just pay the bill
Wake up in the morning have my tray in my bed
Drive my '49 Cadillac
Keep from turning my head
Then I'd groove
That is if I had one.

I don't think it can possibly be completely right. For one thing, I think it was recorded in '47 before '49 Cadillacs were around. Actually it sounds like he sings '79 Cadillac but that can't be right. Anyway, it's a start and if anybody can correct this we'd be happy too.

Scott Miller

Yep, I'm doing fine in San Jose. I grew up next to a creek, and I swore under a blasted oak at midnight to never buy a house anywhere near a creek. Some friends of mine had to evacuate and got flooded. What was normally a little ol' urban creek turned into a river, really quickly. The restoration companies are now doing a brisk business.

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
My duo is doing this now. Here's our take on verse 3 based on (mis)hearing of the Earl Jackson version:

Move to my estate
Service better still
Day and all night service if you just pay the bill
Wake up in the morning have my tray in my bed
Drive my '49 Cadillac
Keep from turning my head
Then I'd groove
That is if I had one.

I don't think it can possibly be completely right. For one thing, I think it was recorded in '47 before '49 Cadillacs were around. Actually it sounds like he sings '79 Cadillac but that can't be right. Anyway, it's a start and if anybody can correct this we'd be happy too.

The first word could be "groove to" or "proof of"... not that either of those make sense! I thought it might be "Grill myself a steak" but that's not right either, ha

There are a few videos on YT and he sings it the same way every time, and I still can't work out that first line.

I think the 5th line is "Drive myself in a Cadillac"

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
The first word could be "groove to" or "proof of"... not that either of those make sense! I thought it might be "Grill myself a steak" but that's not right either, ha

There are a few videos on YT and he sings it the same way every time, and I still can't work out that first line.

I think the 5th line is "Drive myself in a Cadillac"
Thanks. We'll think about those. You'd be decoding Jr. Watson, I guess?

Carmour

How come I never get footage of me doing jump tunes? I dunno.. I'll have to rectify that situation. Here's a snippet of a slow blues from last night anyway. Same rhythm section that backed Chris Cain when he was here. He's back mid this year. Can't wait to see him again.

S.W.Erdnase

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that. I now sing "cruise to my estate" and on the tray line, "wake up in the morning have my tray in my bed, jump into my cadillac..." etc.

This is a GREAT song to do. Audiences really enjoy it.

S.W.Erdnase

Silver Supporting Member
Funny about tunes. I used to find parts of "The Goat" hard to discern but now it's all so damn obvious.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that. I now sing "cruise to my estate" and on the tray line, "wake up in the morning have my tray in my bed, jump into my cadillac..." etc.

This is a GREAT song to do. Audiences really enjoy it.
That might be an improvement on our take—at first glance it sure looks like it. The funny thing is that Earl Jackson's diction is generally very good—with a lifetime of deciphering blues lyrics I've had dozens of greater challenges but just those few phrases are really hard. We haven't done it live yet but just in rehearsal it promises to be a great audience favorite and I'm looking forward to debuting it next week. Just before a guitar solo, I play a fractured chorus of the theme from Monk's 'Straight, No Chaser.' Sounds great against the rhumba beat. I could easily imagine Monk playing it with the same displaced accents and rhythm.

Kingsley Fats

Same rhythm section that backed Chris Cain when he was here. He's back mid this year. Can't wait to see him again.
Send him my way when your finished with him. He was unbelievably good when he came not so long ago. We need another hit.
And waht an incredibly nice & friendly guy to go with all that talent.

I hear 'Look for my estate'. And something like 'Serve ... still' - Maybe it could be something like 'Sir, ... still?'? Not native speaker though so I'm not sure. I also hear 'Drive myself in a Cadillac'. The timing is so good in that tune he's interfering too much with the horns and drums to get the words.

S.W.Erdnase

Silver Supporting Member
Just before a guitar solo, I play a fractured chorus of the theme from Monk's 'Straight, No Chaser.' Sounds great against the rhumba beat. I could easily imagine Monk playing it with the same displaced accents and rhythm.
Very cool.

tommc

Well, I see YouTube has finally shut down The Jump Collector due to due to "multiple third-party copyright infringement claims". I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

t135

Platinum Supporting Member
Well, I see YouTube has finally shut down The Jump Collector due to due to "multiple third-party copyright infringement claims". I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
For sure. They were cranking out the stuff.

groove_king

Ouch! Though not surprised. To be perfectly honest, I had less of a problem with the older records (40s & 50s stuff), than I did with new albums by current working artists. That bugged the crap out of me.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Ouch! Though not surprised. To be perfectly honest, I had less of a problem with the older records (40s & 50s stuff), than I did with new albums by current working artists. That bugged the crap out of me.
Quite right. Disregarding legal subtleties involving the payment of royalties to the descendants of people who bought tunes for a bottle of whiskey of just stole them, the people who made recent records are being screwed right now. Nothing we can do now to remedy the injustices done to long dead artists.

Trending Topics