• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
Last night I used my TV front Pro, with the Catlinbread Topanga.
Perfect. Just wet enough, transparent. Nice little kick too.
Les Paul R6 easily stood out, in a 2 horn group. Very Happy.
Nice!

I was running my Gretsch Jet and my Double Cut Les Paul Special (P-90S pickups) through the Topanga into my 5e3 all last night as well! I will say, the Topanga has really become a part of my sound. Dwell was a touch past 1:00, Mix, a little earlier than Noon. Tone was a touch toward 1:00 and Volume was about 1:30. These are pretty common values for me.... It can get a little heavy on reverb at times, a little splashy. But, it also does that mildly delay/echo type of thing. Not surfy, but wet. And, as Ricky says, "a nice little kick too"!

TwoFeets

Yesterday I had my first proper blues gig in maybe 6 or 8 months. Been doing a lot of sub work with an oldies outfit in venues where we're mic'ed up, so my Blues Junior has been doing the heavy lifting along with my pedalboard with FRV-1. It's a decent sounding rig but yesterday I had the opportunity to take out the Pro and the '64 Reverb unit. What a glorious sound. I like my FRV-1 just fine, but there just is no pedal that can recreate what is going on with a real tube reverb unit that's really cooking.

Yesterday I had my first proper blues gig in maybe 6 or 8 months. Been doing a lot of sub work with an oldies outfit in venues where we're mic'ed up, so my Blues Junior has been doing the heavy lifting along with my pedalboard with FRV-1. It's a decent sounding rig but yesterday I had the opportunity to take out the Pro and the '64 Reverb unit. What a glorious sound. I like my FRV-1 just fine, but there just is no pedal that can recreate what is going on with a real tube reverb unit that's really cooking.
Sounds like a great rig! Just curious, when you run your blues jr and FRV I take it you don’t use any of the blues jrs reverb? Also, about what settings do you use on the FRV? I just got one am trying to find a great jump blues setting. Thanks!

TwoFeets

Sounds like a great rig! Just curious, when you run your blues jr and FRV I take it you don’t use any of the blues jrs reverb? Also, about what settings do you use on the FRV? I just got one am trying to find a great jump blues setting. Thanks!
Yeah, I have a first gen green board USA-made Junior, the early ones had pretty weak Reverb. There are Billm mods for them but I didn't feel like the hassle or expense, paying someone labor to do it, etc. I'll have to look at the settings when I get home. I start by duplicating what I use on the tank then end up goosing everything up a notch or two.

Yeah, I have a first gen green board USA-made Junior, the early ones had pretty weak Reverb. There are Billm mods for them but I didn't feel like the hassle or expense, paying someone labor to do it, etc. I'll have to look at the settings when I get home. I start by duplicating what I use on the tank then end up goosing everything up a notch or two.
i appreciate it, ill be glad to hear what you use.

Scott Miller

"Which upright did you get?"
I got a 1943 Chubby Jackson Kay, converted from a 5-string. I got it from Kedar Roy, so you might have heard it on a west coast blues recording. Kedar is into King Mortone basses these days.

Finewhine

T-Bone is the epitome of cool. It's interesting that he is introduced as a "Blues singer", which of course he is great at. But, they neglect to acknowledge his innovative guitar playing. T-Bone is to electric Blues guitar what Charlie Christian was to electric Jazz guitar. Cool tidbit - I believe they both took lessons from the same teacher when they were starting out.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
T-Bone does seem to be the root for a lot of what I love, musically!

He seems like he truly enjoyed performing. He has this infectious, almost mischievous smile sometimes... Wonder what he was like to hang out with?

T-Bone does seem to be the root for a lot of what I love, musically!

He seems like he truly enjoyed performing. He has this infectious, almost mischievous smile sometimes... Wonder what he was like to hang out with?
A lot of fun. He drank from morning to night. My kinda guy.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
T-Bone is the epitome of cool. It's interesting that he is introduced as a "Blues singer", which of course he is great at. But, they neglect to acknowledge his innovative guitar playing. T-Bone is to electric Blues guitar what Charlie Christian was to electric Jazz guitar. Cool tidbit - I believe they both took lessons from the same teacher when they were starting out.
Well, Live at the Regal opens with the announcer introducing BB as “the World’s Greatest Blues Singer” so I guess that might be how they liked to be thought of, or at least billed as. After all, guitar players are in bands, singers front bands.

Trending Topics