• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
I'm having that sitar like buzz problem on my 54 Les Paul. It was recently refretted so I know it isn't the frets. I'm pretty sure its the bridge. Do any of you have any experience with any of these aftermarket compensated wraparound bridges? I'd rather not change the way the guitar looks too much and the bridge from Mojoaxe looks promising, but its expensive. http://www.mojoaxe.com/
I have a MojoAxe on my Les Paul and it works great. I've installed a lot of them on customers' guitars as well and have never had any complaints.

I'd get the un-aged, new looking ones, they tarnish quickly on their own.

Gig pic from last weekend:

25 years or so ago, when nothing like the MojoAxe was available, I took the original, buzzing, wraparound and modified it. I drilled holes into it and press fitted stainless rod stock into it. I staggered the holes to compensate for intonation and then filed ramps in front of and behind the string contact point to give it a defined resting spot. That actually worked even better than the MojoAxe and that bridge is still going strong today with no signs of string wear.

Last edited:

S.W.Erdnase

Silver Supporting Member
I have one. I'm on my second Klon klone (I just can't get along with 'em, but I keep trying! :rolleyes:), but the GS always makes its way back to the board. I don't use it much, but it's a musical OD for sure. Much more useful than a Tube Screamer, imo.
Klon clone? What a difference a decade makes.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Here’s a pretty good one with Steve—his solo comes in a little under the 6 minute mark

Here too:
I remember a while back Candye Kane had a guy with a Barney Kessel in her band. Same guy?

And Sue Palmer of course played with Candye a fair amount.

Oops, should have opened the article. Picture of him with Sue and Candye. One with Laura Chavez too.

rhartt1234

Nice article on my friend Steve Wilcox in our local music publication. Steve is a great WC player in the Hollywood Fats style (he even took lessons from Fats), amongst other things. He's very much a part of the SoCal WC thing, yet somewhat under the radar:

https://sandiegotroubadour.com/2018/05/amplified-and-electrified-steve-wilcox-plugs-in/
I don't know what it says about me, but I definitely have bumped into the shirtless Steve Wilcox and Hollywood Fats pic on the interwebs before.

t135

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't know what it says about me, but I definitely have bumped into the shirtless Steve Wilcox and Hollywood Fats pic on the interwebs before.
I’ve seen it Too and thought something similar. I feel like it popped up on Facebook a few years ago in connection with a backyard party back in the day. But I’m not friends with that fella on Facebook

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Have a Ghetto Stomp coming today. Any cats here still rocking that pedal?
I just sold one on the Emporium. I had a lot of pedals a bit like it and sold most of them. To my ear, the Valco tones it was trying to simulate are 60s (Led Zep) tones rather than the 40s and 50s I really like.

Ricky, It's almost 19 years if you count where it all started on the the other thread. First post was about how to get that west coast guitar tone: Answer was something like P-90s and tweed amps. Itchy should remember it well.
I remember it well! The old FDP Page...
The orig WCBAT...I was a frequent poster back then..DukeH62 turned me on to it. Where’s the time gone?
Still had my ES-5, Brown 62 Deluxe with matching 62 tank ( sigh).

I just sold one on the Emporium. I had a lot of pedals a bit like it and sold most of them. To my ear, the Valco tones it was trying to simulate are 60s (Led Zep) tones rather than the 40s and 50s I really like.
Hi guys
I actually like the GS to get the Willie Johnson thing. I run it through an early ‘65 BFSR & I’m using strats exclusively now. Like any pedal I had to spend some time balancing the guitar vol/tone knobs & the settings on the pedal but it’s in there . I’m a “recovering vintage gear purist “ and owned all the “stuff” that was supposed to get this sound ( tweed, brown amps, vintage Harmonys, Silvertones, P90 Gibson’s, hollow & solid etc) and I’m very happy with the ‘amp - like’ traits of this pedal, FWIW.

T135 saw your post re: strats & yes I agree they don’t automatically come to mind doing the thing we talk about here, but after messing with them for awhile the past couple years, I finally have gotten very comfortable.
IMHO, for me at least,its all in the attack, chord voicings, being creative with pickup settings ( the in-between neck/ middle with neck tone rolled all the way off, middle pup wide open makes a killer sound). And yes the right amp or maybe pedal(s) might help.

Seeing Watson w/ a strat backing Kim on some YT posts & Kid playing the same w/ Slim (RIP) from awhile back playing a swinging “act like you love me” are what sold me in that it can be done.
Now, if I could only play like them....

t135

Platinum Supporting Member
Hi guys
I actually like the GS to get the Willie Johnson thing. I run it through an early ‘65 BFSR & I’m using strats exclusively now. Like any pedal I had to spend some time balancing the guitar vol/tone knobs & the settings on the pedal but it’s in there . I’m a “recovering vintage gear purist “ and owned all the “stuff” that was supposed to get this sound ( tweed, brown amps, vintage Harmonys, Silvertones, P90 Gibson’s, hollow & solid etc) and I’m very happy with the ‘amp - like’ traits of this pedal, FWIW.

T135 saw your post re: strats & yes I agree they don’t automatically come to mind doing the thing we talk about here, but after messing with them for awhile the past couple years, I finally have gotten very comfortable.
IMHO, for me at least,its all in the attack, chord voicings, being creative with pickup settings ( the in-between neck/ middle with neck tone rolled all the way off, middle pup wide open makes a killer sound). And yes the right amp or maybe pedal(s) might help.

Seeing Watson w/ a strat backing Kim on some YT posts & Kid playing the same w/ Slim (RIP) from awhile back playing a swinging “act like you love me” are what sold me in that it can be done.
Now, if I could only play like them....
Yeah you're right about Strats, they can do just about everything. I think my mental block is that its hard for me to bounce around to them, for me its just a whole 'nother approach and setup to get it right. One thing I do love about them, and that probably makes me sound better, is they aren't so mid-rangey.

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
I feel like string gauge and type make a huge difference in how my Strat (and most guitars for that matter) sounds. I am working a lot of country now and the medium flats sounded good but no twang. Put a set of .010s on and I can bend them two at a time and get some twang. But I can't play any blues on it, that I like the sound of. It's a hardtail so I can get very close to a Tele tone set out of it.

And screw it, I am going down to .009s I think, for the first time since before I was old enough to drive. Almost 50 years lol.

cslewis27

I scored a ghetto stomp for a great price and I'm going to try it for the 3rd time. Crazy I know. I will be patient this time and try it on all rig combinations.

Trending Topics