• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

TwoFeets

I scored a ghetto stomp for a great price and I'm going to try it for the 3rd time. Crazy I know. I will be patient this time and try it on all rig combinations.
I picked up a used one for a good price. It's the limited edition yellow one that has some NOS resistors in it or sumpin'. Will report back.

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
Speaking of pedals, I just picked up an EarthQuaker Night Wire harmonic trem... does some nice swirly trem sounds, and lots of additional features too.

But, the best trem is still the BYOC kit I built based on the EA Tremolo circuit... looks like the Greer Arbuckle trem is based on this circuit too. I added a 2nd switch to select an alternate speed setting, and a toggle to engage just the boost function. Love it!

TwoFeets

Speaking of pedals, I just picked up an EarthQuaker Night Wire harmonic trem... does some nice swirly trem sounds, and lots of additional features too.

But, the best trem is still the BYOC kit I built based on the EA Tremolo circuit... looks like the Greer Arbuckle trem is based on this circuit too. I added a 2nd switch to select an alternate speed setting, and a toggle to engage just the boost function. Love it!
I have a Blue Bird which was done up by Outlaw Effects. It is essentially this same thing. IIRC one or two other guys here have this one, or it's cousin. It has one footswith for tremolo, and another to toggle between trem and boost. It's a nice looking pedal...when you open it up, the PCB says General Guitar Gadgets on it - I guess he was building them from kits and just painting the housings. Regardless of origin, it's a good sounding, useful pedal.

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Blue Bird which was done up by Outlaw Effects. It is essentially this same thing. IIRC one or two other guys here have this one, or it's cousin. It has one footswith for tremolo, and another to toggle between trem and boost. It's a nice looking pedal...when you open it up, the PCB says General Guitar Gadgets on it - I guess he was building them from kits and just painting the housings. Regardless of origin, it's a good sounding, useful pedal.
Right! The Blue Bird was the other version of the EA Tremolo. I was trying to remember that one, thanks 'Feets. I think it might have been Jetlag that had one too.

The boost feature is nice and clear too, and the throb on this circuit sounds quite juicy and amp-like.

TwoFeets

Right! The Blue Bird was the other version of the EA Tremolo. I was trying to remember that one, thanks 'Feets. I think it might have been Jetlag that had one too.

The boost feature is nice and clear too, and the throb on this circuit sounds quite juicy and amp-like.
That's right! Come to think about it, I actually don't have the Blue Bird, I have the Big Blue. Essentially the same pedal, the Blue Bird is a small case, mini-toggle for the boost function. The Big Blue has them operated by foot switches.

Scott Miller

Heads up to great live recordings of what I believe is a full gig of Mitch Kashmar, Junior Watson, Bill Stuve and Andrew Guterman in Gent recently. Seeing that lineup in two weeks. Looking very forward to it!

Andrew is a somewhat recent addition to the Bay Area blues scene. We are very glad to have another excellent drummer here.
I saw Mitch Kashmar in Portland recently with our own AC Porter. That was a bunch of good blues, for sure. I've driven past the venue for years, and would have never imagined going there to see blues, but hey, one never knows, do one?

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Andrew is a somewhat recent addition to the Bay Area blues scene. We are very glad to have another excellent drummer here.
I saw Mitch Kashmar in Portland recently with our own AC Porter. That was a bunch of good blues, for sure. I've driven past the venue for years, and would have never imagined going there to see blues, but hey, one never knows, do one?

Looks Perfect!!

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member

I do most of my Blues playing in an Irish bar..... But, it's the best music venue in town.

Willie j

I picked up a used one for a good price. It's the limited edition yellow one that has some NOS resistors in it or sumpin'. Will report back.
I've had the ghetto stomp on my board for a while now & have found it very useful. Every now & then it will sound a little buzzy to me, then I just turn it off. More often than not it sounds good to me.
I've been messing around with a Tchula ( inspired by Kirk Fletcher) also. I just picked up an old Supro,
Have to see if it works into my live rig, will do some comparisons with the Ghetto Stomp. It definitely has the Willie Johnson vibe though...

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the ghetto stomp on my board for a while now & have found it very useful. Every now & then it will sound a little buzzy to me, then I just turn it off. More often than not it sounds good to me.
I've been messing around with a Tchula ( inspired by Kirk Fletcher) also. I just picked up an old Supro,
Have to see if it works into my live rig, will do some comparisons with the Ghetto Stomp. It definitely has the Willie Johnson vibe though...
Which Tchula? I have the Black one which has GErmanium transistors. How does your Tchula compare to the Ghetto? I have never tried the Ghetto. I do have a Honey Beest which probably gives me plenty of that old small amp ready to explode vibe. I prefer it to the Tchula as I can set it at unity and still have my uneffected amp tone.

Carmour

Love it Chris! Nicely recorded too. I recall you saying you might release the live set on bandcamp... I'd buy that!
It's been on the back burner a bit, but I may upload it eventually haha. It came off quite nice and theres a tonne of really great special guest performances backed by my band, would be a shame for it to go nowhere!

Trending Topics