West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

A heads up folks. I just received a Face Book message from Doug Deming. He's looking for a new full time drummer. Lots of work and touring in the U.S. and overseas.

He's looking for someone who can work out of South West Florida, and who has a firm foundation in West Coast and traditional Blues and Swing. Some Jazz knowledge is a plus.

Thinsocks and RickyKing like this.
  2. Willie j

Willie j Member

I was fortunate enough to see Sean in a small club years ago and I got to see Dylan a couple of years ago as well. I actually told Dylan that he really reminded me of Sean.....He was actually the most exciting guitar player that I saw in Austin and I saw some of the top notch talent. He actually was the inspiration for me deciding I had to have a Silvertone, he was playing one he got from Jon at the time and it really brought home to me that some of my favorite players all used one at one time;
    Junior, Teddy Morgan, Kid, etc. It really is just my favorite tone for jump and a friend of mine found me a great one in Austin a few days after I got back to Tennessee.
    Dylan's more recent stuff hasn't really done it for me since he went back to the Strat and has really been pushing the boundaries of playing more in a Buddy Guy style, pushing his bends out of tune etc. I can only believe it is intentional because he was such a monster live when I saw him. I wasn't expecting him to be that good from the Youtube clips I had seen, but it was some of the best playing I have seen live to this day. Haven't checked out his new release but I need to get on that. He gets a huge amount of respect from due to what I saw on that trip.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I guess seeing him live is what I need to do. I’m just not there on him based on what I’ve heard. What I’ve seen is good but not Costello level or monster good. This is certainly high more high praise. Maybe we’ll sneak up to Austin soon and check him out.

4. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Thought it would be of interest to you guys. I'm selling a Stratotone and Silvertone Espanada in the Emporium. Basically, a West Coast Blues starter kit.

drlucky likes this.
  5. btg

btg Member

Dylan is still very young and his style is continuing to evolve. Last time I saw him he was at Sumter Bruton's house. Sumter who loves his playing sent him into the back room for him to pick a guitar to play that night and he chose a 1952 Goldtop for that nights gig. He has had some good mentorship from guys like Hash Brown, Wes Race, Sumter and Jimmie Vaughan. He is still young and will continue to evolve but I think he is great and it is nice to see someone his age playing his brand of music. I am hoping I have the chance to catch him at a show next week.

6. Willie j

Willie j Member

Pm sent

RickyKing likes this.
  7. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

8. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

On another WC note, Al Blake announced that some long buried Hollywood Fats live rehearsal recordings are going to be released after the first of the year, poor sound quality and all!

vibrolux56 and tdarian like this.
  9. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

I believe they took this down. Wish I could’ve heard it.

10. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

blueskalle, Jed B, Thinsocks and 4 others like this.
  11. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

The sound quality isn't as bad as I imagined. Harp and vocals are pretty far back in the mix, but the guitar is right where it should be.

Axis29 likes this.
  12. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Thank You. It is much better an I hoped!

Axis29 likes this.
  13. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Spent a little time working this one out today. Nothing new for you guys I’m sure but what a cool little tune. Now, if I can just nail it live! Ha

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  14. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    tapeworm and Thinsocks like this.
  15. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

In addition to the Espanada I now have another WCB approved guitar in the Emporium... Rick Holmstrom's 1958 Danelectro U-2.

backalley nick, RickyKing and Axis29 like this.
  16. JimR56

JimR56 Member

The latest videos from "The Dutch Master" show off his new (old) axe, an early 60's Barney Kessel Regular. I have a soft spot in my heart for that model, which was the first hollowbody Gibson I owned. Anyway, to me it's exciting to hear Dusty finally embracing (apparently) not only a Gibson, but a hollowbody. Dig:

blueskalle, Jed B, Schwalbe and 2 others like this.
  17. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Has Dusty done any recordings yet ? He needs to get with Kid Andersen or Jon Atkinson.

18. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Supporting Member

Great playing! I’ve seen a bazillion guys play that head but I’ve never known what song it is?
    What song is that?

19. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Hi Dan!

All About My Girl, by Jimmy McGriff?

20. JimR56

JimR56 Member

Good question. I know of a few small label things he's done with singers over the years (Tess Gaerthe/Tess & The Chiefs; and Rosie Stevens... both 45rpm's, I think), and he was on a live album with Ian Siegal's band in 2015. Not sure if The Rhythm Chiefs ever recorded anything, but according to their Facebook page, The Dry Riverbed Trio will be releasing an album in February.

Kingsley Fats likes this.