West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I think I've generally heard it used the same way some use "march." Which I had never heard until I saw Monster Mike use it in one of these threads.

2. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

In SoCal I’ve only heard of a Grinder as being a bomp-ba-bomp-ba-bomp shuffle ala “She's Tuff”

drlucky likes this.
  3. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Supporting Member

Which is refered to as a Spread around here.

drlucky and RickyKing like this.
  4. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

So because I grew up on the East Coast, and live there currently, but I learned how to lead a band in Los Angeles, my bandstand shorthand is a mix of regions.

E shuffle, et al: In LA that was a "grinder" On the East Coast it's a "march" Legend has it Sugar Ray & The Bluetones created the term "march". I've also heard "lump" and "spread".

"It Takes Time" "Let Me Love You" etc.: In LA that was a "box" which makes perfect sense because the pattern on the guitar is a box. I still call it a box. HOWEVER in Rhode Island it's called an "uptown" (ascending) or "downtown" (descending) which kinda makes sense, but I often describe shuffles using "uptown" and "downtown" which creates confusion. If I say an "uptown shuffle" it's going to be something like T-Bone Walker or BB King. If I say a downtown shuffle it's going to be more of a Chicago thing. Long story short, I have to be careful calling off tunes in Rhode Island.

"The Hustle is On" - in LA this was a "Backwards shuffle" East Coast= "flat tire". I like backwards shuffle better.

In LA, because it was a little more harmonica/retro, a few drummers were hip enough to have a "triple shuffle" which is what Below plays on "Oh Baby" and a few other Little Walter tunes. Bob "Pacemaker" Newham taught me that. East Coast: nobody knows what a double shuffle is let alone a triple shuffle.

I know I'm missing a few others

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I've heard a few here in LA refer to the grinder thing as a boogie. :dunno Obvious conflict with the John Lee Hooker and all type boogie.

The box shuffle is often referred to as a Texas shuffle--not to be confused with the Western Swing version. But you never know, I lived in Dallas for a bit and at a jam I said that in LA we called a box a Texas shuffle, and the bass player said "So do we."

drlucky and RickyKing like this.
  6. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Pace was the guy I learned all those terms from too. I was right out of High School when I did my first gig with him and didn't know anything. He yelled out "Turnaround" towards the end of a song... so I turned around to look at him. He laughed about that for ages. He was the first person I heard use William Clarke's, "G as in Jesus" joke for songs in the key of G, which is still blues comedy gold.

drlucky and Brion like this.
  7. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

Apparently, my diction sucks. When I call out "C" "D" "E" or "G" no one knows which one I called so I use "G like Jesus" a lot. I've added "C like Caesar's Salad"

drlucky, Thinsocks and Axis29 like this.
  8. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Yeah, a box shuffle to me is something like Checkin Up On My Baby or Little By Little. One goes up and one goes down... Back in Virginia, in the little tiny town I was living in for the last 8 years, nobody knew the difference.. They'd just follow along and if I went up, they went up and if I went down, they went down. A few of them knew what a box shuffle was.

If I called it an uptown or downtown box shuffle, they'd get the hint... But, most of the time, they just followed along to what I was doing.

If I wan't to do a T-Bone kinda shuffle... I just called it that. Or,
    I'd start playing and everyone would follow along. LOL

Basically, it didn't matter what I called it, until I tarted playing, nobody knew what the heck I was talking about anyway! LOL

Now that I've moved to the west coast, things are gonna get interesting for me. I'm gonna have to get better at the lingo, I guess!

One thing I've been trying to get a handle on in the last couple of years is drum patterns and being able to name or call them out. I am still not great at it... But, I'm learning some of it. However, I did play with a couple drummers who knew what double and triple shuffles were. One moved from Virginia up to New Hampshire. He was originally from Boston. But, he was another Blues head.

drlucky likes this.
  9. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

10. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

He yelled out "Turnaround" towards the end of a song... so I turned around to look at him.

That's freaking great!

Okay Axis, what is a triple shuffle? Never heard that.

Axis29 and drlucky like this.
  11. Stringmaster

Marty is perhaps my favorite drummer--not only can he describe nuances between different types of shuffle beats, etc, he listens to the band and shifts what he does accordingly. He is very studied in the style and takes it beyond the "Is it a shuffle or a swing" mentality that is typical. Most drummers that I've ever played with who thing that Blues drumming is easy haven't done their homework IMO, and usually end up proving that it isn't easy!!

Axis29 and drlucky like this.
  12. Stringmaster

That reminds me a friend Chet told me he was sitting in on harp with an old timer. He yelled out "look out Chet, look out!" at which time Chet broke into a solo. Chet then got scolded because "Look out" meant stop blowing that thing while I'm trying to sing, lol.

Axis29, stratocat63 and drlucky like this.
  13. drlucky

drlucky Member

Guys, thanks for all info/input. I've been playing/trying to play blues (especially West Coast/Jump after I saw Mighty Flyers w/Junior Watson in '81) for dang near 40 years, but I hadn't heard 90% of these beat terms. I've PLAYED all of 'em over the years, either at blues jams or in bands, but usually identified them with a particular song (i.e. I've been playing She's Tuff since I got that Thunderbirds album in '80). I always just followed what the drummer was doing and adapted, I guess. Nice to know what it's called...

Back in the 80's I spent a lot of time going/playing at a jam here in Fresno that was hosted by a pianist named Omar the Magnificent. I remember he said "Look out Ron!" to me a few times...now I know what he meant...:eek:

stratocat63 likes this.
  14. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

When I was younger the vets used to say "Key of our Lord" for that one, that's how I learned it. Yours is funnier but they evolved from the same place I bet.

Holding fingers down or up for number of flats/sharps IOW what the key signature is, gets in the way of throwing changes out and no one knows what it means anyway. Mostly no one.

15. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Two memories. During the 80's and early 90's, I was a guitarist with a New Brunswick NJ based blues ensemble, "Bob White and The White Boys". We kicked off at 11:00 PM every Wednesday night for over 10 years at the infamous Court Tavern Near the Rutgers U. Campus. Basically our gigs were a substance fueled orgy of college girls, local weird folks, College teachers, Rastafarians, and hard core blues fanatics. One snowy evening, We started the night with with an old Lowell Fulson chestnut, Reconsider Baby. Bob counts it off, the drummer comes in quietly...Bob looks at me and mumbles what I thought were the words "Play low chords"...so I started out comping bass lines and deep chords. He stops the song and says..."What the F*** are you doing ?" I replied, "You said, play low chords"....Bob stops the band, he goes up to the bar, calls me over, grabs a bottle of Conemorativo Tequila, he takes a big swig, hands me the bottle and tells me to take a swig. He walks over to the mic...(the joint is packed to the walls). Bob starts laughing and tells the audience...George is drunk..and probably half deaf from playing too loud for too many years. I told him to "Blow a chorus to start the song...oh never mind...O.K. count it off again" !!" A very good female singer-pianist sits in about an hour later and he tells her "Blow A chorus", then we'll come in with the melody. She Stops and asks "Right Now?" Bob nods yes to her...she yells into the mic "Is there a guy here named Akoruss ?"

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  16. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Just think about the poor folks who don't come to this thread and never get to hear fretshops fabulous stories.
    Makes my day evry time I read one. I love them.
    Thank You & Merry Christmas to all from Downunder

17. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I cannot even begin to describe it as I a, NOT a drummer. But I have heard the term bandied about a time or two. So, I may be wrong in that there even is one! Coulda been like sending me to look for a left handed screwdriver?

18. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

So, @rhartt1234 says in Oh Baby and a few other Little Walter tunes... So

19. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Im a big fan of Marty as well. Man just imagine playing a gig with someone that rock solid behind you. Here’s just one of many tunes he’s on that I really dig.

drlucky, vibrolux56 and Stringmaster like this.
  20. Stringmaster

Hey, I’m on that record! I have played a little with Marty; so I don’t have to imagine it!

Pickmaster60 and tapeworm like this.