West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

I think we are the only two people that have it. I dig it because you have a clean boost, or you can have a tremolo that has no volume drop, even a volume bump which is good for when you use a higher intensity. I don't use my board hardly at all any more but that and a reverb tank is cool.

TwoFeets likes this.
  2. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

I have something close, I think... I built a version of the EA Trem with the General Guitar Gadgets kit as a starting point, and added a speed foot switch with 2 speed controls, and a toggle for disabling the trem to use it as a boost. Works pretty well, and the sound/feel of the tremolo itself is really really nice. (It has white knobs now)

[​IMG]

drlucky, stratocat63 and TwoFeets like this.
  3. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Yeah you’re probably right. In fact when you open the Big Blue housing the actual board inside is clearly from GGG.

4. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Hi V!
    One of the things that attracted mr to the TS was 1- 3 spring styles 2- 3 Trem styles. All very good.
    The TS still has a similar output boost as Topanga, so, the change was dictated mostly by 2 effects, 3 of each in 1 1/4 footprint.
    As you know Sources Audio has good sounding stuff.

Axis29 and TwoFeets like this.
  5. valcotone

Thanks Ricky!

RickyKing likes this.
  6. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Pete Kanaras turned me on to the Supro Tremolo. It's the real deal. I also love my Catalinbread Semaphore...the early version. To my old ears, it's the most versatile tremolo I have used.

Any reports from the Watson show at Black Eyed Sally's ?

RickyKing and mr tom like this.
  7. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

It was a good show.

RickyKing likes this.
  8. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

stratocat63, JimR56, mr tom and 3 others like this.
  9. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

tapeworm likes this.
  10. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

That's some vintage Nightcats there! As great as they were back then that rhythm section was not my favorite. The Rhythm sections of their SoCal contemporaries were FAR superior. It wasn't until they had June Core and Ronnie James Weber that they had a comparable rhythm section.

Jed B and groove_king like this.
  11. StaxKing

StaxKing Member

RK, on your suggestion I have picked up a True Spring. Arrived today. Will have a play tonight. I'll attempt a vid with my Quilter/JrB set up and post it here later; if I can get to grips with it.

12. RickyKing

13. StaxKing

StaxKing Member

No real video to post of any merit (those on YouTube do it much more service). All I can say is after a few hours tinkering at home and a gig last night, it is a killer reverb pedal. Defo one for the list if you are in the market. As regards the 'hidden' trem option, I am finding a that a little odd to come to grips with so I have decided to ignore it for the time being. I am not really a trem guy in any event.

Thanks again RK.

mr tom and RickyKing like this.
  14. RickyKing

Rick getting' down!

blueskalle, tapeworm and mr tom like this.
  15. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

16. valcotone

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  17. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

I saw a clip on youtube with him and I think Anson doing the Flintstones if I recall, Charlie scared me to death with that bop style stuff he does. Jaw dropping skill, really. I have seen the Nightcats when he was with them but don't remember it being like that. I don't know if that clip is still up, last time I searched I could not find.

Hey George, don't you have something to do with the MojoTone pickups? I remember some discussion praising them, but cannot remember the tone context. I am looking for a Tele set to work some country with and was looking at the hum free set. Officially called 52 Quiet Coil. Wondering how close they really are to the real thing, with the hum cancelling construction. Kind of hard to tell from some of the clips.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  18. StaxKing

StaxKing Member

So here is a thing.

Few years back Deke was in London. Cracking gig. Brought his ES295 over and a delay pedal. Otherwise straight into the rental Fender amp. His tone/note choice was fab. I couldn't get over the fact he didn't touch his volume or tone knobs all night. Went between chords and lead simply by picking harder/softer.

I left thinking that was the holy grail. The thing to shoot for.

I have tried it many times in the past but never quite got there. Not even close.

This Sat night I took the L5 out. I recently flipped the magnets in the bridge pickup. Anyway, for the first time in that oop position I was able to do the whole gig without touching my volume or tone. It was a swing/rock n roll/ rockabilly gig. Sounded fab. Balanced well with the band and made me smile (a lot!).

Rest of my set up was a Quilter MP HD12, Jr BarnYard and Mooer Ana Echo.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Anyone else already doing this??

19. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Our old friend Tom Brantley, the former winding guru at Fralin Pickups Organized and implemented the Mojotone pickup unit. Tom has since left Mojo and started his own custom shop. He does fantastic work. www.tombrantleyrewinds.com

My favorite winder by far is Brett Brubaker at Foggy Mountain Guitars in Indianola Iowa.

I developed a proprietary set Broadcaster/Nocaster set of single coils which we use here on custom builds. They are not in the Mojo catalogue, but you can order a "similar" set. Most of our shop equipment and records, including notes on pickup design and specs are packed away pending our move down south, . Here's some specs that should get you some really good sounding and versatile pickups. Blues and swing guitar ace Dave Gross installed a set of our shop pickups in one of his session telecasters and liked them quite a bit.

Bridge pickup: A3 magnets in fiber bobbin, plain enamel wire, scatter wound to about 7.5 - 7.8 K D.C. ohms. Zinc plate.

Neck Pickup: A5 magnets on fiber bobbin, Plain enamel wire, scatter wound to 9.0 K D.C. ohms. three wire set up: positive/negative and raw nickel silver cover isolated with third wire. The neck pickup can be used to create in-series circuit with 5 position super switch if desired for a big, loud, fat t-Bone OOP tone...not the tinny, weak and wirey sounding response you'd get with the standard OOP.

Mojo wound four trial sets for us, and I liked the clarity and articulation of the plain enamel wire the best.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    stratocat63 and RickyKing like this.
  20. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

I got tired of setting up and tearing down my gig rig at home before and after shows, so I decided to put together a smaller-footprint-and-wattage mock-up that I can leave set up at home. I had some Amazon credit to blow so I threw together this mini-pedalboard with a bunch of inexpensive offshore pedals. Most of them are made by ENO/EX with the exception of the Silver Horse which is made by Mosky.

R to L - tuner (rechargeable - weird!), Silver Horse (Klon Clone), analog delay, trem, reverb.
    The case/board is also made by ENO, foam is pre-cut, has a removable latched cover, and is pre-wired with AC plugs...comes with a one-spot style wall wart. Including patch cables the whole getup cost me about $250. It’s about 18” long and 7” wide and only weighs about 5 lbs. Sounds pretty decent for what it is too!

Now I just need a mini ghetto stomp type pedal as I rotate that in and out with the Soul Food in my regular rig...

RickyKing likes this.