West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

I think if you want to see the “right” way to do it you could point to Danelectro. Provided I’m not way off base with assuming they’re under the same ownership that had the name in the late 90’s when the brand was re-introduced, they started with a couple of flagship models that were pretty good recreations of the originals, at a really low price point to get things going - and from there they have covered the whole gamut - reissues, reinterpretations, brand new “could have been” models, and other just funky cool stuff like effects and battery-powered amps.

Pricing is a big deal. The Dano reissues were offered at $199 when they came out which was considerably less than you could get vintage pieces for. The Harmonys and Kays are priced quite a bit higher. In fact the reissue Rockets were almost twice what you could buy an original for IIRC.

t135 and RickyKing like this.
  2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

You mention most of the things the second to last owners did wrong, IMO. They attempted to bring back too many models at once, didn't bother to recreate the pickups in any other than a superficial fashion, and didn't deliver at a price point that made market sense.
    Fender can put what is essentially a vintage correct Jaguar, Strat, Jazzmaster, or Tele into a player's hands for 200 to 300 bucks and can deliver a "budget version for half that. There's no reason "Harmony" couldn't do the same with a Bobkat or Silhouette.

drlucky, RickyKing and TwoFeets like this.
  3. mojotele65

mojotele65 Supporting Member

Can someone provide a few quintessential West Coast Albums? I am steeped in Texas and Chicago Blues and I am trying to expand my listening. My searching has led me to Lowell Fulson, currently digging that for sure.

so as I dig further, I didn't realize I was listening to some great West Coast Blues bands:
    Little Charlie and Night Cats
    Duke Robillard
    Kid Ramos
    Room Full of Blues
    Ronnie Earl

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    drlucky and Kingsley Fats like this.
  4. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

I’ll start with five:
    Kim Wilson: Tigerman
    Hollywood Fats - Rock this House
    James Harman - Extra Napkins, also Mo Na’kins Please
    Junior Watson - Long Overdue
    William Clarke - Blowin Like Hell

(Okay six lol)

Ferret, Kingsley Fats and mojotele65 like this.
  5. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Depending on your definition of west coast blues, some of my modern faves (I'm no authority)...

Lynwood Slim & Junior Watson - Back To Back
    Lynwood Slim - Lost In America
    Rod Piazza & The Mighty Flyers - Live at BB Kings
    Alex Schultz - Think About It
    Kim Wilson - Smokin' Joint
    Benny & The Fly By Niters - Be Good or Be Gone
    Big Rhythm Combo - Too Small To Dance
    Rick Holmstrom - Gonna Get Wild
    Nick Curran - all his albums
    RJ Mischo - Make It Good
    Teddy Morgan - Ridin' In Style
    The Four Charms - both their CDs

... there are so many.

of course... Pee Wee Crayton, Gene Phillips, T-bone Walker, Gatemouth Brown, BB King...

6. t135

t135 Member

I can’t find a capo that works well on guitars with huge necks, and all mine have huge necks. What do you folks use for 1” or more thick necks?

I love the g7 capos but they don’t work well in most of my guitars

7. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Ha I laughed at that "(I'm no authority)".

A perfect pick & you've included a nice curve ball from Australia.

I'll add my 10C & say look for anything that has Junior Watson, Richard Innes, Bill Stuve for starters & go from there.

RickyKing and mojotele65 like this.
  8. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Hi, I have a big Shubb. It works on a H44.

9. ChristophGuitar

ChristophGuitar Member

+1 on the Shubb - I have a regular one and even that fits up to like the 5th fret of my Kay K142 (huge baseball bat neck), so probably the bigger Shubb would be perfect!

10. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

I cleaned up, restrung, and set up Charlie's road guitars twice. This photo is from the 2017 Alonzo's Memorial Picnic hosted by The Baltimore Blues Society. One of my Nocasters is on the left. He was on the bill with The Andy T Band, subbing for Anson Funderburgh, who was recuperating from shoulder surgery. Charlie said his Tele was a "Custom Shop instrument". He didn't elaborate much more about it, or about the pickups. The neck back profile is just a tad deeper than what you'd find on a stock Telecaster, about .900 at the first fret, but the fretboard radius is flatter. The frets looked like 6105s. It is wired up like a vintage ES-5. His ES-175 is stock, and from what I recall, his white Strat is an older vintage reissue loaded with Van Zandt True Vintage pickups. I worked on that guitar in 2016 in Baltimore, and we strung it up with .011-.049 D'Addarios. He prefers high action. Skip Simmons services his Super Reverb. Charlie didn't like the way my Nocaster sounded plugged into his Super Reverb. He said it sounded too glassy..although it sounded big, fat, and chimey coming out of my Jeff Gehring Tweed Pro. Personally, I never thought Tele pickups reached their potential when coupled with a Super Reverb. Maybe it's just my old ears. I used the guitar the other evening with my Reverberocket II loaded with a vintage P-12N. I A-B'd it with a '66 super Reverb...I went right back to the Ampeg and stayed there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. Mojoworkin

Mojoworkin Supporting Member

Duke, Roomful, and Ronnie are all Northeast guys. All great though.

12. mojotele65

mojotele65 Supporting Member

It is about the style of music not where they are from.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  13. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Very,very roughly, in it's modern form, it's jump blues and swing guitar styles meet Chicago-style tongue blocking harp. A traditional rhythm section playing in a way appropriate to the guitar styles. 40s and 50s urban blues vocal styles. Add piano and horns if you can afford them.

Axis29, Kingsley Fats and free_jazz like this.
  14. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

And, I'm from Virginia... But all my Piedmont friends say I have more of a West Coast style. When I play out here in SoCal, I found I fit right in. LOL

I think back in the day it made more of a difference, regionally. It's hard to pick out where guys are from just from their music any more. We all have such global influences... Or, we can chase down those tones and sounds we want to hear or emulate.

I can't claim to be a straight up West Coast guy... Wish I could. but, i grew up listening and playing to too much stuff from other places and only in the last five to ten years really began focusing on West Coast style stuff.

The interesting thing is, here in California, there is a style. Something I hear differently at jams. It's a different tonal choice and more of a Jump/Swing style and feel to the music. It's kinda cool to experience first hand, and realize what it is you're hearing.

RickyKing and mojotele65 like this.
  15. RickyKing

Hey Thinsocks, I still have the neck you made! Works great!
    [​IMG]

Thinsocks and Stringmaster like this.
  16. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Fantastic! Glad to see it's still being used. I think that was the 2nd (and last) one I made.

RickyKing likes this.
  17. tommc

tommc Member

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Nocture Brain Baby blondeshell 63 5 watt Class A head? There is one on Reverb now. Same seller also had NB Mystery Brain 301 listed.

RickyKing likes this.
  18. RickyKing

Pretty cool looking amp!

19. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

Wow does this bring back memories...
    I had this whole show on cassette tape & it was my “pump up for the gig” motivator on long rides... like 20 or so years ago, give or take! To me, the quintessential version of the Hucklebuck.
    Thanks for posting !

RickyKing and tapeworm like this.
  20. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

Killer! Derek O’Brien... Kaz... what’s not to like!

RickyKing likes this.