West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. derekirving

derekirving Supporting Member

backalley nick and RickyKing like this.
  2. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

I got a chance to really open up my tweed deluxe with the new/old P90 set.
    I am still learning to work it but, I like it! This cut from a cell phone in front of me, not great band mix, but good for guitar.

Setup:
    Boss Fender tank reverb pedal, amp on 1/2, tone on 8, bright channel.
    Tomo Fujita Eminence 12" ceramic speaker, GE 6V6, RCA 12AY7 in first slot.

In case you are wondering,
    The Drummer Is Chris Anzalone, of Roomful Of Blues
    My Bassman, Bob Worthington
    My trumpet player and section leader, Doc Chanonhouse
    New Orlean's own Amadee Castenell, Saxes and Flute
    Vocals and Harp on this gig for 29 years, Parker Wheeler.
    The Sundays at The Grog are a N.E. institution.
    If you come this way check it out.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. tommc

tommc Member

4. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

That Lazar stuff w Grant Green is killer for sure ...
    If you like that check out Grants early stuff with Baby Face Wilette, just as great!

5. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

Congratulations on giving that ES-5 a happy home!
    Glad Van Hoose moved it successfully for Anson , nice when things work out.
    I played the same year ( 1950) ES-5 as my main guitar for years, shoot me a PM and I’ll give you my 2 cents on managing it.
    Nick

6. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Yes, turns out the feedback thing is a non issue on stage. I played the guitar in my small music room, sitting opposite the amp when I first got it, and got some howling.

The I used it on a gig last weekend and it was completely fine. I played a 1960 Bassman on 6 on the volume, and the ES-5 handled it like a champ. It is such a great guitar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drlucky, nmontz, Axis29 and 1 other person like this.
  7. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

You’re right! I just bought this album a week ago. Great grooves.
    [​IMG]

mr tom, drlucky, RickyKing and 2 others like this.
  8. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

This is some great fun with JW Jones and Little Charlie... good comedy bits too!

Little Charlie vs. the Kemper

9. RickyKing

This is great. Thanks for posting. I have been thinking on KP for a while now.

10. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I have a friend, who has been going through a tone search for as long as I have known him. He's one of those guys who can adopt to digital technology and sound good, but knows that his '67 Deluxe Reverb is his favorite and has been his favorite for a long time. He's good at dialing in the solid state and digital things. Much more so than I.

He recently picked up a Kemper and has been experimenting. It's been interesting to have his insight.

I'm kinda in the Little Charlie camp... I have something I really love the sound of, why should I try to adopt something new? But, I do still keep trying, from time to time, to find an easy solution. That's why I have a Line6 StompFX sitting in the garage collecting dust.

I want to walk in, plug in and go. My time with a guitar in my hand is probably much better spent learning how to play it. I don't like running down rabbit holes tweaking settings too much.... I spent too many years with a Mesa Mk IV to be wanting too many knobs again. But, I truly respect those folks who have the patience and where with all to pull it off. Goodness knows, JW has a lotta feet up on me....

But, what a fun video (especially for us WCB geeks)!

drlucky likes this.
  11. valcotone

I heard JW play through his when he played locally a little while ago. He seemed to use one tone for the evening, with trem (from a Flint I believe) and the Fender Reverb pedal... he wasn't switching tones through the night. It sounded very good to me in the room.

I've also played a friend's Kemper a few times, and at lower volumes I didn't like it that much, but when turned up playing with the band it was OK. I have a too-many-options issue like John mentioned above, and would spend too much time tweaking... always wondering, 'maybe I can make it sound even better'... I think I'd find it a big distraction. So for now I'm quite happy with my crusty old tube amps (2 of which I need to put on the bench and sort out some issues).

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Charlie as he says has an amp he's used for 40 years, and that's his setup and his sound. So, sure, that statement makes complete sense in that context. The advantage to the Kemper of course is that you can have a variety of amps immediately available, as well as some other convenience factors with going direct either live or recording. If you want--that's the key. Or if you want bad enough to spend a couple of grand, which could go to a new tube amp!

I'd like to mess with one. It would be strictly in the camp of an expensive toy for me, so add it to the long list of those I'd like to have.

Great video, thanks for posting it valcotone!

drlucky likes this.
  13. valcotone

I know there are lots of fellow old T-birds/JLV fans here... I was listening to the first album on headphones yesterday and noticed something interesting about Full Time Lover that was new to me... maybe you guys are familiar with it, or know the background or whatever...

I wonder if this was a composite of a live take, or if they overdubbed some bits. There are a couple times when the sound/feel of the mix changes, especially Jimmie's guitar.... almost like there was a room mic that was brought up in the mix at 0:36. The guitar mix/sound changes again later during Jimmie's solo as well.

And, in various times (ex. 0:43-0:44) there are shouts or audience noise in the background, barely audible.

Any thoughts?

tapeworm and drlucky like this.
  14. JimR56

JimR56 Member

For me, the comedy was more worthwhile than the amp "blindfold test". Charlie seemed like he might be getting just a bit annoyed with that. I was too! "Wrong again, sir"... :cool: It was cool to get to see his living area. I have the same 1981 "JAZZ" poster (with a likeness of Illinois Jacquet) that he has. I got rid of all my jazz vinyl years ago, though. CB still appears to have quite a few LP's!

Axis29 likes this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong. I more than appreciate the convenience, etc. I truly appreciate the functionality and flexibilty!

But, I'm kind of a neanderthal. A luddite, if you will. I am like Grog... "Mmm, knob turn... make noise.... mmmmm"

drlucky likes this.
  16. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

I can’t remember ever having been at a gig and thinking “you know what would be great right now? If I had a completely different amplifier.”

Axis29 likes this.
  17. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

18. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

It was a great pity that Chris didn't head West on his trip Downunder this time.
    A fabulous performer, a brilliant guitarist & one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

S.W.Erdnase likes this.
  19. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

I’ve seen him live numerous times and he always puts in a great show.

Not sure the recording does it justice but he sounded phenomenal straight into that Clark amp with his 345 and no effects.

20. RickyKing

In addition to your observations, It has always sounded to me like there is a bit of chorus on this cut.