West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

That is an old line.

In SRV's case, you may want to use "had".

If you do play it, tell them for another $20 you will do it backwards. Then turn around and face the drummer, but watch your back.

vibrolux56, RickyKing and tdarian like this.
  2. tommc

tommc Member

Caught a Barnyard on Reverb 2 hours into the sale. Now to see if it is what I really want. If not, well, back to Reverb.

RickyKing and Axis29 like this.
  3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Saw this on Facebook

Ronnie Earl, Joel Foy James Harman Lone Star Cafe NYC 1990

RickyKing, drlucky, EBW and 3 others like this.
  4. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

Now THAT’S a picture!!

5. tapeworm

tapeworm Member

Hopefully someone else here will like this one even though it’s not technically West Coast Blues.

Thinsocks, RickyKing, drlucky and 4 others like this.
  6. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

Thank you. I love this kind of stuff. That is a great sounding guitar. Or a great guitar sound, I should say, before somebody goes Chet Atkins on me.

I was listening to some CTI era Benson last week, Stanley Turrentine Sugar live version. The live guitar tone was a good deal edgier than the studio stuff, I had to look up who it was. I knew Benson was on the Sugar album, I had that when I was a young sprout (sort of ruined most rock music for me lol). But it was him.

We are lucky that there is at least some good Wes stuff out there.

tapeworm likes this.
  7. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Finally down in Fort Myers. All the good music is happening on the east coast...a three hour drive from me. So, I'm at The Buckingham "Blues" Bar....(yeah right) about 6 miles from my home. I get called up to the band stand. There are four guitarists in the house band, and everyone takes a solo...all evening...O.K., so I ask the drummer for a Box Shuffle. He looks around and replies, There could be something behind the bar with the pool cues. The band leader asks me to pick out a song...I said "Reconsider Baby...Lowell Fulson". He asked, "is it a Mazrshall Tucker song ? Fast or slow". I gave up...I sat down, I ordered a Yuengling and two bags of stale potato chips. It was pouring rain when I left. I went to get into the Beemer and stepped into a 4 inch pool of water around the car. I can't win. Guitar necks going crazy in the humidity. Doug Deming came down the other day to visit. We had a great time just talking and sharing stories.

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Now that's the blues!

Except the last two sentences.

There could be something behind the bar with the pool cues. That's an all time classic!

9. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

In all the times I visited my parents in Estero over 20 years, there was never anything good at The Buckingham Blues Bar.

RickyKing likes this.
  10. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Nothing has changed...a minimum of four "lead guitarists" are up on the bandstand at all times...everyone takes a solo...Ken and I were finally able to teach one of the drummers the flat tire....the rest of the house band started bobbing up and down to the beat, and then responded with puzzled glances at one and other.... They do some passable Delbert stuff, and some originals...and that's about it. I've been staying home a lot...wood shedding...i went out of the house this morning...I took a deep breath and remarked "Ahhh, smells like Camphor trees".. A man passing by on his morning walk replied "That's Ben-Gay...They don't call this place God's waiting room for nothing". Oh, I just remembered...I have to complete my Final Expenses application.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. hogy

hogy Member

sideman, drlucky, vibrolux56 and 13 others like this.
  12. groove_king

groove_king Member

Holy crapballs!!! That's amazing! That's really Lowell's ES5? How did you come by it? Anything to report about it?

drlucky likes this.
  13. hogy

hogy Member

14. groove_king

groove_king Member

Thanks, man. Big congrats on the score. She is an object of endless beauty. Glad she went to someone who appreciates her. Post some clips when you get a chance, please!

drlucky and TwoFeets like this.
  15. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

TwoFeets likes this.
  16. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

17. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, I do.

[​IMG]

vibrolux56, Jed B, blueskalle and 3 others like this.
  18. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I think I need a cigarette.... (and, I quit 29 years ago! LOL)

Those are just downright sexAY!

I want an ES-5 so bad.... I dunno if I could be a caregiver for someone famous' ES-5 though. I'd be wanting to play it and play it out. I'd feel guilty every time I took it out of the house!

19. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I have zero problems playing an SRV tune if requested. Hell, I might even play one for myself. I started playing in 1985, I grew up in Houston where he was on the radio constantly. He was absolutely the gateway to the blues for me. I learned a bunch of his stuff early on, then moved on to BB King, Albert Collins, Robert Cray, and T-Bone.

I am by no means a purist and really don't consider myself a Blues player, but I love playing it and some tell me I do it pretty well. You can knock the clones all day long, when I moved to Austin in '95 I immediately bought a Tele because there was a clone in every other club. Knocking Stevie is kinda ignorant, IMO, as he really opened the doors to lots of young players. Not all of them became clones.

20. hogy

hogy Member

I'm the exact opposite. I play all my guitars out, that's the only reason I have them. Played two gigs on the Anson guitar last weekend, can't wait to take the Lowell guitar to the next gig. If any of you are around, I will be playing it for sure this upcoming Friday August 9 at the Blues Tavern in Mobile, AL.

drlucky, Axis29 and TwoFeets like this.