West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

They gotta be played for sure!

I saw in your other thread the link/mention that T-Bone’s ES5 also turned up in France. Outrageous!

I’d like to say I’d be a player if you do decide to offload one of them, but I’m pretty sure they’re out of my league. But just in case that does happen, my PM box is just a click away...

drlucky likes this.
  2. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

Welcome to my world. Can't hardly do blues around here because the people who hire entertainment think blues is, what crappy rockers think blues is, basically. I do know a couple of guys who will play a flat tire or box shuffle when called.

That ES5 is really something. Hogy, what a life you have. Beautiful vintage guitars, boutique stuff, great kayak fishing, sweet.

binkydognose likes this.
  3. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Member

That's absolutely amazing! Congrats! I'm very jealous. You have Lester Williams strat too, right?

4. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Member

I may need to make a road trip to Alabama sometime soon!

5. hogy

hogy Member

Yeah, that's my baby. I love that Strat.

6. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I don't think any of us are, or would, knock SRV. He was a great player! I love his music. BUT, I'm a little tired of the same old same old. I got worn out listening to the clones for so many years, I just had to rebel somehow.

But, I still listen to SRV all the time.... Was digging the SRV and Johnny Copeland version of Tin Pan Alley a few minutes ago in the car, in fact!

I have a feeling, if it was in my possession, it wouldn't take long before I took it out! And, more power to you! I don't hesitate to take my favorites out, or the more expensive guitars I've owned over the years.

Like many here, I can't afford to 'collect'. Every guitar I own gets played. No knock on anyone who plays, or doesn't play, the guitars they own. I make no judgement! I only hesitate to chase after something like that because I am afraid I would feel guilty if I goofed it up. LOL

drlucky and tapeworm like this.
  7. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Congrats Hogy on the ES-5s! If you have some time, I’d love to hear how you would compare/contrast them.... sounds, neck shape/size, how they inspire.

Yeah!! This needs more discussion... what a stunning development. Could you imagine playing it? Mind-blowing.

Here’s the fellow who has it now... he specializes in celebrity-owned instruments... not sure what his plans are for the T-Bone ES-5.

https://www.mattsguitar.shop/en/news/t-bone-est-de-retour

8. ChristophGuitar

ChristophGuitar Member

WOW! Love that guitar! Unbelievable.

9. hogy

hogy Member

Sure. Anson's guitar is a '50, Lowell's a '52. The '50 has a bigger neck. round and pretty huge. the '52 has a more "normal" vintage Gibson neck. Big for sure, but not huge. To me, this one's a bit more comfortable.

Plugged in, they are completely different. Anson's guitar has the neck pickup out of phase with the other two. This means that with the two outside pickups all the way up, it has the fully out of phase T-Bone sound.

Lowell's guitar has the middle pickup out of phase, so it doesn't really do the T-Bone sound at all. It sounds like Lowell Fulson, and also a lot like early BB King. "Black Night" is the sound of all three pickups full on, which works very well on this guitar. Rolling down the middle a bit fattens that sound up.

Anson's guitar doesn't like all pickups full on, it sounds indistinct and strange that way.

Anson told me he bought this ES-5 because it was "bright". He feels ES-5s tend to be dark. I think what he refers to is a quirk in the wiring, with three volume controls loading down the pickups. And in fact, that effect is a bit less pronounced on his guitar than it is on Lowell's.

It took me a while to figure these guitars out. If you want, say, a classic neck pickup tone, you're instinct is to roll the neck pickup up all the way, and both other pickups completely off. That does result in a slightly veiled tone, like the tone control halfway down on a switch equipped guitar. For some reason, the cure is to bring the middle pickup in slightly. This still sounds like the neck pickup by itself, but the brightness comes back in. Just something about how the volume controls load the pickup.
    This is true for all three pickups. If you want a single pickup sound that has shimmer, you need to slightly bring in the adjacent pickup.

Doing this, Anson's guitar is jazzier, more Kenny Burrell like on the neck pickup. Lowell's is leaner and more Strat like.

That typical Lowell Fulson sound can not be had with the Anson guitar, and the T-Bone thing can not be had with the Lowell guitar.

drlucky, vibrolux56, Axis29 and 2 others like this.
  10. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

This Strat?
    [​IMG]

11. tapeworm

tapeworm Member

Yeah no one is knocking SRV. Just tired of hearing it played over and over by the clones and I’m not interested in playing that style of blues even if it means $100 less in the tip jar at the end of the night. I’ve spent too much time studying Pee Wee Crayton, Lowell Fulson, T-Bone, BB and Otis Rush and would rather focus on playing those styles than more SRV. I’ll leave the SRV for the million others out there playing that style. I still listen to SRV but maybe once monthly. A little goes a long way.

drlucky and Axis29 like this.
  12. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, that's the one.

[​IMG]

drlucky, Axis29, rhartt1234 and 4 others like this.
  13. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

14. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Hogy for the write-up, I really enjoyed that. They both sound like wonderful guitars.

I had a 1951 ES-350 for a while and it had the same kind of response you're describing when rolling down the volume controls.... it got kind of veiled sounding. This one had the dual volume control and single tone control, no switch. The pickups are connected to the wiper of the volume pot, while the top lug is the output (like the ES-5).... so it interacts differently with the tone pot and when using the controls.

Cheers!

drlucky, Axis29 and mr tom like this.
  15. tommc

tommc Member

The Proven Ones Live @ Chans Egg Rolls and Jazz 7/13/19 ~The Proven Ones~ Kid Ramos-guitar / Willie J. Campbell-bass / Jimi Bott-drums- formerly with (The Fabulous Thunderbirds, The Mannish Boys) Brian David Templeton-vocals (Delta Generators/RadIo Kings) Anthony Geraci-keys (Boston Blues All-Stars, Sugar Ray and the Bluetones, Ronnie Earl) Joe-Mack McCarthy- trumpet Chris Mercer-sax (John Mayall/Bob Marley, Buddy Guy/Procol Harum.)

vibrolux56, ReidS, RickyKing and 2 others like this.
  16. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Current comments regarding honoring requests/SRV and so on - we played a private corporate event the other night, dressed in our nicer retro 40’s/50’s-inspired outfits... upright bass on the bandstand... and had a request for The Bee Gees “How Deep Is Your Love” - or “something 70’s we can dance to.”

drlucky and Axis29 like this.
  17. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

Love the way Bott is driving the bus.

18. tommc

tommc Member

PSA: There is a Nocturne Brain El Pescadoro on Reverb today, 8/9. I'd snap it up but I just scored a Jr Barnyard on Reverb last week and the front half of the El Pescadoro is the Jr, Barnyard.

RickyKing likes this.
  19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I've had fantasies of going to France and going into some out of the way little pawn shop type place and finding T Bone's guitar. I know, I should be having fantasies about Kim Bassinger or someone--maybe I have those too, that's not for this thread, or anywhere else!

Anyway, my fantasy ends with me bringing it back and getting it to T-Bone's family and being a big hero in the blues world.

RickyKing and blujaz1 like this.
  20. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

My first project down here in the sunshine state was a total make over on Doug Deming's D'Angelico Excel R.I. (The necks are unbelievably thin...why they do this...I dunno). Anyway....Doug wanted an ES-350 inspired harness with two decoupled volume controls and a master tone control with the pickups wired out of phase. (Gibson also tried using a fader control on the very early 350's at one point). I experimented with a series of aftermarket pots and settled on the Emerson CTS Pro Pots. When a harness is wired in what we call a "decoupled" manner just as you described with the pickups connected to the wiper and the top lug going to output... the taper goes bonkers. The only virtue to a decoupled set up is that if you turn off one volume pot completely, it doesn't cut out the entire harness...the pickups are isolated from one an other and can work independently. Believe it or not, the cheap Asian Alpha pots worked very well in this situation, although how long they would hold up is another question. Jason Lollar did us a big favor and personally wound the P-90s, with the bridge pickup wound out of phase with the neck pickup so we didn't have to play around with the leads. He wound the pickups on Monday of last week, he installed Bat Wing bottom plates, like what you'd see on a humbucker, so the pickups could be adjusted up and down at the surround, and we had the pickups in Florida by Wednesday...unbelievable. The Lollars were very impressive, tight sounding, balanced and strong; Doug Deming was working magic with them at the gig on Friday evening. He was playing out of a Vero Zephyr amp loaded with a 15" speaker.

I am experimenting with another harness soon on another archtop. Master tone and Volume with a blend pot. I am going to try the GFS P-90s and wire them out of phase. I have heard some clips of Rob Mola using them, and they sounded pretty darned good. From Rob's videos, The GFS P-90s sounded more gritty and a bit more edgy than most after market and boutique P-90s I have either heard, or tried. I kinda like that greasy old bluesy tone. Let's see what happens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 9:56 PM
    TwoFeets and Axis29 like this.