West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

That would be the Moby Grape Jerry Miller?

2. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

I see you are in Australia (?). Are they? I stumbled across Camille Te Nahu and Stui French a couple of months ago from over there, seems like you have a lot of good older American music stylists going on. Maybe more than we do.

3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

No. Seems to be a common problem trying to dig up more information on him. He has been described as a Boston legend.

RickyKing likes this.
  4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Yes I'm in Australia. Eilen Jewell is from Boise Idaho. Camille & Stuie is a good find. Stuie is an exceptional guitar player who would get a lot of praise from the folks on this thread if they were aware of him. Like most treasures the good ones are buried Australia being no better or abundant than anywhere else.

stratocat63 likes this.
  5. RickyKing

Kingsley Fats and stratocat63 like this.
  6. stratocat63

I was looking at those Little Walter amps and got linked to Vince Gill and the Time Jumpers on a gig and Stuie sat in and did a fine job I can't remember but it was probably both of them. I thought, wow some tourists gonna get embarrassed. Nope. Rabbit hole time, again.

Naturally I thought those amps were blues amps from the name and the video was because Gill uses them.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  7. RickyKing

Love the stars!

8. stratocat63

RickyKing likes this.
  9. RickyKing

10. stratocat63

Sometimes you can crosscheck with eBay or Reverb and get something going.

11. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

[​IMG]
    I know I'm just a harmonica player, but can I be in your club now?

vibrolux56, MR.K, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  12. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Of course, you've always been part of the club Ryan, but welcome again!

RickyKing likes this.
  13. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Just send that old used guitar to either me or Ricky...and we'll renew your membership for free !! I'm sure your wife will be a happy that you got it out of the house. Just trying to help.

BTW: have you seen Nick around ?

RickyKing and Axis29 like this.
  14. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

if you still lived in NJ I'd drive it down. The top of the fleur de lis is missing among a few other things, but the top is great.

I haven't seen Nick in a while. I've talked to him. He's playing tonight in Springfield MA

RickyKing likes this.
  15. RickyKing

Good stuff here, Tim always sounds good to me!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    straightblues and Axis29 like this.
  16. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Went to a jam session where I didn't know anybody.... I hate being the new guy who's an unknown.

Even though I offered to sing, the other musicians only wanted to play instrumentals and trade leads. I did get to sing one, and got folks up dancing... Then, the other guitar player calls 'The Chicken'? He and the bass player knew it and referred to it as a Jaco Pastorius song... At a Blues Jam? Really? Then, you don't have a chart and tell me, 'Yeah, there's some changes in it'. I had to go look it up. It's an old James Brown B-side. I can honestly say, I've never heard it before. And, worst of all, another instrumental.

Oh well, I'll keep showing up and eventually get out of the basement slot.

I did meet some very nice folks, who talked about helping me get hooked into the scene. So, i walked away happy.

ellis dee, RickyKing and tdarian like this.
  17. RickyKing

Xenophobia reigns at the blues jam, folks are kinda territorial, and love to stump the newbie. I have had it happen to me, more than once.
    Call an up swing in Eb with a ii/V, and a I/vi/II/V turnaround and separate the men from the boys! :D

18. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I'll be honest, I don't think it was on purpose... I think it was poor timing on my part. Showed up too early! LOL

I watched a bunch of the musicians float in after the jam started. I've seen this at my jams. It irks me a little bit, because it's like folks aren't there to support the band or local music. They just want their stage time, then they book soon afterwards. I get it, they don't want to play with the crappy musicians. The crappy musicians are super excited to get their chance at stage time as well. They get there early to make sure they'll get a chance to play.

Not knowing the venue, or musicians, and seeing the marketing of over 40 musicians coming, I did want to make sure I got on the list. Not having any personal preferences about who to play with, I had no input... So I tooks mah chances! I can laugh about it now, and I know it'll get better as I get to know the local folks. But, I really wasn't happy when I came off that stage! LOL

RickyKing likes this.
  19. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

I think I've told this story before, but I think I was "set up" at a Blues jam in Los Angeles. It was my first time at this jam and to my surprise I was put up with Cardell Boyette aka Louisiana "Guitar" Red. When I got on stage I could tell Cardell was irked that he had a harmonica player on stage. He calls off "On Broadway in C#" I'm sure thinking I neither had the right key harmonica nor could I handle the changes. I did and I could. He begrudgingly admitted I could play when our 3 tunes were over.

I think the host band might have gotten a two-fer on that one: They stuck it to Cardell, who was a bit cantankerous, and stuck it to a young harp player new in town.

I

20. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

I played with him one time on harp. i had my delay pedal, a dd3, in the back of my amp where it was inaccessible, some how the delay was set to the longest delay possible. lol. i was like holy %$^&
    i had no choice but to make it work the best i could.

drlucky and stratocat63 like this.