West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

The old throw out a key where he won't have the harp, not just for harp players. Odd keys weed people out or in for that matter.

I hate lists as a jammer, and really really hate them as a "conducter/organizer". Which I am retired from. You can't put good players up with raw amateurs and expect them to come back for more.

Definitely takes a while to get in with players when you are new and don't have friends to introduce you around.

drlucky, ellis dee and Axis29 like this.
  2. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i learned born under a bad sign in C# i know i should learn it in other keys, and i will.... eventually..
    i don't play it in that key to mess people up, but if that harp player sits out, that is an added bonus....

Axis29 likes this.
  3. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Our friend, @Hasserbrock, has been very kind and gracious helping out over in Orange County, but that's a little bit fo a haul from my place, compared to this jam. So, SoCal has been very kind to me. And, I think I really did make some good contacts.

I just think it was pretty darn funny that I got stuck with the total Blues jam nightmare!

RickyKing likes this.
  4. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

You might try calling T.J. Thompson about repairing the inlay. he specializes in Martins, but may either help you, or refer you to someone up your way. https://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/visit-guitar-repair-guru-tj-thompson/

5. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

Good to know.
    Thanks.

6. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Hi All!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all my Blues Brothers in this great forum.
    Please enjoy this You Tube set from Muddy Waters with Hollywood Fats in the band,
    and B.B. as a bonus!
    It's a goodie! Peace!

t135, drlucky, Schwalbe and 6 others like this.
  7. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Looking for recommendations for jump blues tunes w/horns that are lyrically interesting/clever and/or have distinguishing hooks/stops etc.? Think “Who Drank My Beer When I Was In the Rear” or “Why Don’t You Eat Where You Slept Last Night.” Prefer original purveyors rather than newer artists.

drlucky and RickyKing like this.
  8. RickyKing

Check the Louis Jordan catalog, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, Amos Milburn, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, there are lots.

drlucky, sideman and Axis29 like this.
  9. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Wynonie Harris and Louis Prima as well... Two of my favorites!

drlucky and RickyKing like this.
  10. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

A band I was in backed him in the mid 1990s. Luckily, I just played the set openers and left the stage before Red's call to the stage for "star time". I remember him yelling at the other guitar player (the band leader) to "play me some damn chords!", and yelling at the drummer to "give me a disco beat!..NO! No! DISCO!!", while stomping back and forth. This was all in the middle of songs. Valuable playing experience on everyone's part.

Axis29, Schwalbe and stratocat63 like this.
  11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Red was a character, for sure. I miss his goofy grin when he got onstage, whatever else you might say about him, he always seemed to have a really deep love for being up performing.

Always wondered why a guy with the name Cardell Boyette would need a nickname to play the blues!

Axis29 and Schwalbe like this.
  12. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Cardell Boyette sounds like he should be opening the bowling for the West Indian cricket team.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Axis29 likes this.
  13. stratocat63

I ran across this and thought it was pretty cool. It isn't really WCB but I would think it might have been seen by people here already, but I hadn't so just in case...

14. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

Kirk gives great props to his West Coast lineage as well as his other influences.
    As down to earth, cool & humble as he’s always been, def worth setting the time aside to watch!

15. RickyKing

Loved this! Thanks for posting!!

16. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

When in Memphis for the Blues Music Awards last year, I lucked into sitting next to Kirk at dinner one evening at The Blues City Cafe. My wife and my playing partner were with me... They both understood my excitement. I introduced myself and told him I was a huge fan (and that I had just picked up his Truefire course and was really enjoying it). I did remember to introduce him to my wife and my playing partner (who he knew of).

He was incredibly nice and friendly. We talked like two music geeks for a few minutes, and then talked about life and family, our (my wife and I) having just moved to SoCal, how he liked living in Europe, etc. We had a very pleasant dinner. I tried not to impose too much, and he was super gracious. Just a genuinely nice guy. I am more of a fan since then, I will admit.

BluesSanta, RickyKing and stratocat63 like this.
  17. RickyKing

This is pretty cool.

stratocat63 likes this.
  18. stratocat63

He is a player alright, I watched that a couple days back. I liked how he mentioned the great Spanky Alford (I used to get his leftovers. It was a big step down for the clients and that is not even a joke).

Something else he said or that was said was about Reggie Young which set me off on another two hours of "tv" watching on youtube.

RickyKing likes this.
  19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

WCB blues connection--George Harmonica Smith was a big inspiration to many of the younger WCB oriented guys, especially William Clarke.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    stratocat63 likes this.
  20. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

Man Big Joe Turner slays on this clip! That’s WCB by way of Kansas City if I ever heard it! (He spent his later years in Inglewood)

RickyKing and stratocat63 like this.