West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Hey, Al Blakes new release is dynamite!

vibrolux56, brbadg, tdarian and 2 others like this.
  2. btg

btg Member

Is it new material or is it a rerelease of older material. I have all of his previous releases and a lot of the same material has been recycled. If it is new material I will be ordering it

3. RickyKing

Al Blake's XXL Bag Of Blues Vol. 1
    Not sure as to newness...but it sure is good!

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

"Editorial review" (whatever or whoever that is) on Amazon--

'Al Blake's XXL Bag of Blues - Volume 1' is a 2 CD, 29 track retrospective collection of Blake's acoustic recordings over the past 20+ years. It features Blake singing, playing guitar and harmonica, joined by blues pianist Fred Kaplan, with blues harmonica master Kim Wilson on several tracks and country blues guitarist Nathan James on one tune. Of the 29 tracks, 15 are originals and 26 of the tracks are previously unreleased commercially. This outstanding album is certain to remind listeners why they fell in love with blues in the first place. This record is 100% organic; no artificial additives, watered down fillers. Definitely not pre-frozen, assembly-line, drive thru McSlop. This serves-up a Super-Size portion of exquisite, authentic 5-star Blues Cuisine that every Blues connoisseur will enjoy and will come back for seconds!

5. tommc

tommc Member

This has probably been posted before, but worth a listen again..

drlucky, Schwalbe, Axis29 and 3 others like this.
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I gotta admit, I am such a T-Bone fan... I could watch T-Bone videos or listen to his music all day long... Day in and day out.

RickyKing likes this.
  7. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

New stuff from Tommy Harkenrider.

8. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

T-Bone just exuded a certain kind of coolness, class, and sophistication that was a step above that of all his contemporaries. There may have been others who were more technically adept like Charlie Christian or widened their scope more like Gatemouth, but none that were a complete entertainer the way Bone was. I would do anything to see some footage of him from the 40’s and 50’s fronting a big band, dancing and singing, performing dramatic set pieces like “Evening.”

Someone recently posed a hypothetical question “if you had a time machine and could visit any time in history when/where would you visit?” Certainly a night back when Bone and Wynonie Harris had competing resedencies right up the street from each other would have to be up there.

stratocat63, drlucky, JimR56 and 2 others like this.
  9. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

He definitely didn't fit the Bluesman stereotype, except for...you know...drinking himself to death.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

He’s a Texan! Haha
    There’s a story I read somewhere maybe here about T-Bone and Pee Wee Crayton (one of my absolute favs) and a horse.

Axis29 likes this.
  11. tapeworm

JimR56 and Axis29 like this.
  12. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Ever try to finagle a big archtop with the strap tied at the headstock, put the strap over your right shoulder instead of your left (provided you’re a righty) and then play the guitar flat in front of you the way T-Bone did? Feels so awkward...but at the same time kind of forces you to stay in that first position and not move around too much. I think the way he held the guitar dictated the style he developed.

drlucky and Axis29 like this.
  13. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Interesting theory, 'Feets... It is indeed an unusual way to hold the guitar. In the available footage, it seems he switches back and forth between holding it horizontal or not... maybe depending on the phrasing he was going for at that moment.

Axis29 likes this.
  14. groove_king

groove_king Member

Don't forget Bone was a master showman. The way he played guitar was pretty showy :)

Axis29 likes this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I have tried... Once.

16. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

Same. My H-62 came without a neck strap button. Did the head stock thing just so I could play it, but it put the guitar in a very awkward position. It's currently at the shop.

Conversely, I can play my Recording King parlor acoustic on the head stock no problem.

Axis29 likes this.
  17. tapeworm

Happy Birthday, Pee Wee Crayton!
    [​IMG]

drlucky and RickyKing like this.
  18. RickyKing

Great Player, Equally Great Guitar!

drlucky and tapeworm like this.
  19. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

And Happy Birthday to Rod Piazza
    When people ask me about West Coast Blues I usually send them to this tune.

Axis29 and drlucky like this.
  20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

When standing I'd like to be able to hold the guitar somewhere in between regular style and T-Bone Style. T-Bone's way is too upright and I'd have to twist my wrist, but the regular way is too flat, not sure I said that well but I think you get what I mean. I'd like a little more angle, more like how it sits on my lap. I can see the fretboard better.

Maybe I should just drink lots of beer and grow a beer gut, that might do it!

It helps to get the headstock up closer to my head, by wearing the guitar higher and angling it up some too. Like this guy--

[​IMG]

drlucky likes this.