West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scott Miller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Here’s a question for you guys: I’ve been asked to play a 4 gig at a local pub, pay is good and good exposure since I’m new to town. Normally I play with a 6-7 piece w/ horns or at very least a 5 piece (guitar/vox, bass,drums, keys and sax).
    This place is small and has asked if I’d bring a small band. My regular keys player is unavailable and I’ve got a potential back up but he has not rehearsed, is more of a jazz guy than a blues guy and will be able to fill up some space. I’ve been working on my rhythm playing but still more of call and answer play when singing. I have not heard this guy play blues ever, though I’ve heard him play jazz and he is proficient at that.

So given the circumstances, would you rather utilize a 4 piece of:

Guitar/vocals, bass, drums and said keyboardist

Or

Guitar/vocals, bass, drums and my regular sax player who could play the arrangements for the song and provide solos.

What say ye?

2. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

^^
    Here’s my thoughts: I’d go for option two. I’ve been in similar situations, and I would see this as an opportunity to “step up your game”. I like having a short (or long) term goal with a deadline. It puts the pressure on to keep it moving forward. That would also make you less reliant on others to cover a gig in the future. Heck you could even work towards covering a 3 pice gig! While it may not be your preference, it’s nice to be versatile, and to be able to cover a variety of potential opportunities. But that’s just me!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    vibrolux56 and tapeworm like this.
  3. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's kinda how I became a front man. Not on purpose. Someone left the band, that forced em to sing. The band broke up and I was forced to take more fo a full role in playing AND singing at the same time.

BUT, most real Jazz guys can pull off some Blues. If he's a good keyboard player, and feels comfortable in the possible situation, might be worth having good rhythm support?

tapeworm likes this.
  4. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. It’s a tough call since I can see pros and cons in both scenarios.

If the keyboardist is solid then it will really fill up the space and make for an ideal rhythm situation. Plus an added curve ball is he’s a bad ass trombone player and would be bringing the bone to play on a few songs also. I’ve just been spoiled because my current keyboardist is one of the best around at playing boogie, jump and swing blues.

The sax player could play the charts but is fairly new playing w me so he doesn’t have the charts down perfect yet and wouldn’t provide as much rhythm support as keys would but he could also play a lot of fills and solos which adds to the sound.

I guess I could just ask the keys player how he feels about the material but wouldn’t want to come off as doubting his ability. He did come recommended by a few ppl in town who know what the style of blues I play.

Either way I’ll follow up and let you know how it went.

Axis29 likes this.
  5. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

tapeworm likes this.
  6. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Supporting Member

The last time I worked with a supposedly adept jazz keyboardist the singer paid him and sent him home after the first set.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

LOL

Last time I played with a competent Jazz musician, I was learning stuff at every turn of a measure. But, I guess I was luckier than you, my friend!

tapeworm likes this.
  8. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Supporting Member

Yeah man! Competent is the key. I did a gig last night with a local jazz legend on upright. He nailed everything, as he always does. We had fun discussing Bird changes on break. I always learn something when I work with that guy.

Axis29 likes this.
  9. RickyKing

Tim is at it again, good tone here!

sideman and Schwalbe like this.
  10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

That is sweet tone!

I googled KG Customs, got a page of returns for a Ford dealer. So I added "pickup" to the search, and got, well of course, returns for the Ford place, because they have Rangers and F-150s! :bonk But this time also got a guitar company as the second hit. But even then I'm not sure it's the right company.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    RickyKing likes this.
  11. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

I found their Facebook page. Make sure you look up KG Customs (plural) as singular also appears to be a guitar maker but of the pointier variety.

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Okay thanks, found it. Yeah the pointier variety was the one I saw earlier. The profile pic shows a fluorescent green Les Paul (not that there's anything wrong with that!) so I figured it wasn't the same company.

13. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Happy New Year to all you crazy kids here in our tidy little corner of the interwebs!

As of tomorrow we will have actually outlived the birthplace of this thread - the FDP is going dark after some 20+ years of existence. We keep chugging along here and have done so through multiple incarnations of this thread. Who would have thought that one simple thread about P90’s into tweed amps would amount to so many years of discussion, and so many friendships both virtual and “real life?”

We’ve been at this so long that it’s impossible to tell whether we’ve discussed a particular topic before. In fact, if we keep at it, we’ll all be so old that even if we talked about it last week we wouldn’t remember it anyway.

Had the opportunity to sit in with Josh Miller Blues Revue at BB King’s here in Orlando a month or so ago.

EBW, stratocat63, rhartt1234 and 4 others like this.
  14. RickyKing

Nice Groove! Good Playing!! Amazing to think this thread has outlived its inception.
    I was invited here by Backalley Nick, and am grateful for that invite.
    Many great people and posts, and heres to the future!

TwoFeets and Axis29 like this.
  15. btg

btg Member

I remember seeing that first post pop up on the FDP and have followed the thread and occasional posted since then and have learned a lot

stratocat63, TwoFeets and Axis29 like this.
  16. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

R.I.P. Vic Juris. Kate Baker, Vic's wife announced that Vic passed away at St. Barnabus Medical Center in Livingston, NJ on 12/31/2019 at 66 years old.
    Vic was a quiet, gentle and generous man, besides being one of the entertainment industry's finest session and recording guitarists. Vic lived about 6-7 minutes from my old home in South Orange, N.J. We are all greatly saddened by his passing.

17. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

Here's what started the whole thing for me: I remember Nick telling Eric that dudes were talking about them on some forum the internet so we checked it out.

[​IMG]

18. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Yes, indeed... 17 years!!

Happy new year, fellas! And all the best in 2020.

'Feets - nice work in that clip! Nice and laid back, tasty playing.

stratocat63, RickyKing and Axis29 like this.
  19. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Pretty decent recommendations if you ask me even if all I can go on is their recorded output.

RickyKing likes this.