• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I find myself in a bit of a strange spot. One of the smartest moves I've done business-wise over the last couple years was to build up my online selling. Sometime last year my shop went from a repair shop that sells stuff online to an online seller who also does repairs. When the lockdowns hit, my sales went up. I spend a couple hours each day just answering questions from people who have nothing else to do than shop online for guitar parts.
I've personally been as busy as ever. Of course, there's no money coming in the front door, but I'll make it through. Like a lot of repair shops, there are enough back-burner and backlogged repairs to keep us busy for quite a while, plus a few of my personal projects.
Anyone got a fingerboard for a Harmony Espenada/H-62?
How about a set of "no-line" Kluson 3 on a plank gears, circa early 1950s?

JimR56

This cropped up on another forum that I frequent. I thought our resident authority on Otis Rush, fretshop, may have an answer

As I recall (this was half my life ago - yikes), no, it was just the Otis band solo. The show was great but the setup was weird. The Denver Center for the Performing arts is a grouping of theaters that are in the same "block" so to speak, but aren't physically connected to each other. They constructed a large, tent like covering for all the buildings to sort of unify them. The show took place on a makeshift stage between the parking deck and one of the theaters. Unfortunately it was mostly the wine and cheese crowd there to see Otis, but the show was still great. At one point I couldn't hear the second guitarist and for the only time in my life went to the soundboard to let them know. The board operator stated the guitarist had his own amp up too loud so he couldn't do anything about it. Otis' entire band (sans Otis) played an aftershow at Brendan's, a club in Lower Downtown. I saw this second guitarist at the bar drinking a Guinness alone so I walked up and told him how I dug the gig, but he was hard to hear. Well this guy just launches into how that was total BS and that the sound guys didn't "want a white guy to outshine Otis" ;)! He wasn't as negative as it sounds. When the band took the stage (he was the only white member) he took lead vocals and guitar and I have to say he was really good. I remember he did "Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong" and really hit it out of the park. I wish I knew the dudes' name. All I recall is he had long, VERY bushy dirty blonde hair, short beard and wore round "John Lennon" glasses. I have no idea why I remember all this :)!
You didn't mention a year, but you got me curious. I had to try a search, and this is just a guess... maybe Danny Draher?

Kingsley Fats

You didn't mention a year, but you got me curious. I had to try a search, and this is just a guess... maybe Danny Draher?
Thanks for tha answer. I can't say that it is correct (i suspect not from the description) as I am only the middle man in the conversation. It was posed by someone else on a different thread, I thought that fretshop may have known.

Re Danny Dreher - he is very good & provided excellent support to Otis Rush on that footage.
Lets put this into perspective. This was 1983. Can you remember the appalling crap that we were being force fed in those days ?
And then 37 or so years later you hear that there was stuff like this being played. No wonder Otis Rush had a few "breaks" from music during his career.

straightblues

Anyone using flatwound strings? If so what are your favorite brand?

I got a Harmony Rocket recently that had flats on it and I am really enjoying it. Thinking about trying some flats on some of my other guitars.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone using flatwound strings? If so what are your favorite brand?

I got a Harmony Rocket recently that had flats on it and I am really enjoying it. Thinking about trying some flats on some of my other guitars.
Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swings. My go to. I like Pyramids as well... But the T-I's are the best. Period.

They retain their tone for a good 12 to 18 months. They are bright enough nobody realizes I am playing flats. But yet, they still have that silky feel and slightly softer attack.

I considered them expensive, the first time I bought them. But, when I did a touch of math and realized how long they lasted, even on heavily gigged guitars, I realized that they were actually cheaper in the long run. So, win-win!

'56 Merc

Was listening to some Bobby Blue Bland with Wayne Bennett yesterday and got to thinking about an album I had buried in my vinyl collection. It took me awhile to remember the name of it but I did. Not really West Coast but I wanted to post this gem where it would be appreciated.

RickyKing

Silver Supporting Member
Was listening to some Bobby Blue Bland with Wayne Bennett yesterday and got to thinking about an album I had buried in my vinyl collection. It took me awhile to remember the name of it but I did. Not really West Coast but I wanted to post this gem where it would be appreciated.
Great Album!

Kingsley Fats

Wayne Bennett is pretty damn good.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
PSA for an upcoming live Facebook show, this coming Monday, Memorial Day. 7 Pacific time. I imagine it will be available for replay but I don't know a lot about FB live shows.

John Marx is of course familiar to most here. Morganfield Burnett (not his real name!) is a good singer and harmonica player that John plays with a lot. I assume there's no in person audience.

swangster

Gold Supporting Member
John Marx is of course familiar to most here. Morganfield Burnett (not his real name!) is a good singer and harmonica player that John plays with a lot. I assume there's no in person audience.
I love John Marx' version of "I Cried Last Night" on one of the William Clarke live albums.

fretshop

Here we are with Otis at The Village Gate. He's blowing out of my Mesa MKII-B and I am using my bro' Arnie's prototype Sundown 100 watt combo. Ricky King Russell was on the gig with us, leading Mighty Sam McClain's band.

A couple years later, we had Otis scheduled for President's weekend at The Gate, but he decided to take a week of gigs at Antone's. So we did a Sonny Rhodes/Frankie Lee President's Weekend Blues Review at the Gate. We had Valerie Wellington, Carlos Johnson, Michael Coleman and Sam McClain back with us for a magnificent two night engagement. Michael, Valerie and I nabbed a sea captain's cap that Sam wore on stage. It was Sam's good luck charm. Sam had to start his set without the hat. During the second song, Michael walked out into the audience wearing Sam's hat. Sam yelled into the mic...with about 300 patrons in the audience..."Dammit...You took my f****g hat, bring it up here !! Valerie brought the hat up to Sam, and then did a killer rendition of "The Blues is Alright" with him. Valerie and Michael were both good friends of mine. She passed away within the year of the show. Michael, died in 2014, and Sam passed in 2015. Frankie Lee is gone too. What's left ?

Last edited:

t135

Platinum Supporting Member
I am attempting to sort out an amp situation. I have a Clark tweed deluxe i use and need another tweed amp with a little more volume and headroom. I can’t figure out if I should go with a tweed super, tweed bandmaster, or tweed pro. Or maybe add a second 5e3 sized amp like a 58 tremolux or something.

I don’t wanna get stuck with way more headroom that I need and unable to get a tone. I’ll be using P 90s 99% of the time. I’ve had bandmasters and pros and really loved them. But it’s been about 10 years and I’ve kind of lost touch with how they worked on stage.

what kind of opinions or encouragement do you guys have on this issue?

Trending Topics