West Coast Blues Thread - Version 2.0

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dukeh62, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

Hey folks!

Looks like our original sprawling thread has vanished. I emailed the administrator and he said they don't know what happened to it. They are working on it.

In the meantime...here we go again!!!

2. dukeh62

I picked up the 2003 release "Blue Avenue" by B.B. & the Blues Shacks last week. I have a few of their earlier records that I love, but man, this one is SMOKIN'! Alex Schultz is on quite a bit of it and they really find some interesting ways to weave the two guitars together, including some cool unison fills where they switch back and forth between who is playing an octave higher and lower. Check it out!

3. fretshop

fretshop Gold Supporting Member

Eric, I'm blocked on this computer as far as posting photos. do you have time to post the amp pics?

4. dukeh62

Here are some pics of the KILLER Pro George and Karl have been working on. Might have to go this route one day myself!

http://home.everestkc.net/jgehring/gg/gg.html

5. fretshop

The amp was built by Jeff Gehring with lots of input from Karl. Also, It was Karl's idea to add the cathode bias switch which from what Karl told me, will allow me to have the option either the voicing and performance of a narrow panel, or an early Pro

6. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

got a live bootleg from a friend chris ruest from dallas. anson/nulisch '79. lots of tbirds covers but amazing guitar tone, tweed bandmaster with reverb tank. killer tone. anyone have any old live blues bootlegs they want to trade for it let me know.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

What does it cost to get a chasis like that built?

8. nmontz

nmontz Member

Man that looks great George. Jeff is truely an artist! He worked on my 58' tweed pro about a year or two ago. Added a bias pot, new electrolytics, wired the heaters to BF style, got rid of the selenium rectifier. I wish we would have thought of the fixed bias/ cathode bias switch cause I would have done that too. When you are in KC you can a/b it with Karl's pros. Maybe Karl can help you dial it in with tubes too. The man is a genius about stuff like that. He also has a tube stash that makes me drool! Last time I was down it was a vintage np tweed pro summit of sorts cause we had my amp, which I was leaving for Jeff, Karl's, and sideman had his there that Jeff had just finished. I thought it was interesting hearing how different the 3 amps sounded all through the same cab. Karl's was the best sounding of the 3, sideman's was the cleanest, and mine sounded pretty mushy, but part of that was the tubes I had in it. That was before I had a ga-20 and wanted it a lower volume.

George, what are you gonna use for a speaker?

9. fretshop

NMontz: I'm using a P-15N pull from a Hammond Cabinet. I'm thinking of checking out a C-15N as well. See you in K.C. You'll get to play an axe with my non-stick vintage finish. Nothing like the Fender "fly paper" finish.

Straight Blues: I just gave Jeff the go-ahead and told him to bill me later. BTW, Paul at Mercury Magnetics told me it'd be no problem to run an extension speaker with his trannies.

Thanks to Jetlag for coming through with the Foil in oils and all the other good stuff.

10. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

hi George - What a killer-looking amp. The build-quality of that looks just outstanding - big time kudos to Jeff. I bet it will sound as good as it looks. FYI, after chatting with Jetlag via email about Pro and Bandmaster amps, I installed a cathode/fixed bias switch in my homebrew 5E7 Bandmaster and it's a useful mod. I went with no cathode cap to increase the difference between the two settings... it's still subtle in some ways, but in c/b mode you definitely get a looser bottom end and little less headroom. As expected, f/b mode is tighter sounding. They are both good!

Is that a 500-ohm 10W cathode resistor Jeff used? I'm interested in the value since the original c/b Pro amps used 250-ohms, which is what I used but it runs pretty HOT!

One more question - are those ferrite beads for filtering on the shielded leads to the first pre-amp tube?

Eric - Thanks for kicking off this thread!

Jeff Scott is on KUCI.org right now... Mr. Lynwood Slim is supposed to be stopping by.

11. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

In the just-demised WCB thread, Jetlag posted about Junior Watson and the boys up in Canada using the Valco Duo Supreme amps... here's a short exerpt from a tune I did with one of these tasty amps using an ES-330 (both parts)...

http://www.kilback.net/tunes/duo-supreme.mp3

[​IMG]

12. jetlag

jetlag Member

Sean, yeah I was sayin' that about your setup - you are running things HOT w/that 250 ohm resistor! I looked thru the Pro pics and it's 560 ohm. It's probably the same resistor that he put in my GA77, which really, runs a little cool - maybe a hair under 60% when using TAD 6L6WGCs. On a past project, I went with an adjustable power resistor in my Pro Reverb and think it was set around 375 ohms in that particular amp. So I'd look for a fixed resistor somewhere between 250 ohm and 500 ohm. And yes, apparently Jeff did use ferrite beads. Intense stuff, I've never heard of that. BTW, he mentions the ferrite thing a little in the text.

Thanks for the KUCI reminder!

13. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

Cruelty To Young Harp Player.

Q-what Key Is This One In?
    A-b#, So You Would Want To Use Your E# Harmonica.

Lol!

14. aja

aja Member

I don't know how I found this but I guess I did. Can't believe their is actually footage of the red devils I thought they were super super unknown rare.

15. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

Oh mah aching sides.

16. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

like that sw? --ha. even better if ya really want to tick off most harp players when they ask what key it is in, tell them to grab their harp that is a 5th up the scale...

ie-if the band is in E:
    q-what key is this one in?
    a-grab an A harp.

really confusing for them usually and even for the more experienced harp player they usually take offense to a guitar player saying 'grab an A harp' because a good player can play 3-4 different harps in 1 key. just a silly sidenote if you want to be tricky/dicky to some fool.

17. groove_king

groove_king Member

Lol! I can dig where you're coming from, but I'd never presume to tell a harp player what key harp he needs. I play with a guy like that - but he also insists on counting in everything too damn slow - bugs the crap outta me.

How about a comeback to a guitarist: We're in the key of A, you need to play up at the 5th fret.

Bummer about the other thread being lost. I hope they can get it back - lotsa cool pics and mp3s there.

18. groove_king

groove_king Member

Oh yeah, I'd thought I'd chime in on the Lester Butler/Red Devils clips posted in the other thread ...

Wow.

Simply stunning. As S.W. will attest, it took me a while to 'get' the King King album. I always felt like I needed a shower after listening to it - but when I did get it - wow.

The band is simply awesome. It's hard to believe that Paul Size is only 21-22 years old. He sounds so mature with a raw simplicity that takes one a lifetime to learn. And Lester Butler is so damn good - frighteningly powerful yet simple harp that effortlessly sits in the pocket and rocks.

It's so good that these clips exist. If you haven't yet checked 'em out, do so.

19. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Supporting Member

Just checking in here:

A) Definitely digging the Red Devils clips

B) Finally got to hear what my Tungsten 5E5-A sounds like at a REAL volume level (mumblegrumble playing with upright players with lousy rigs) and holy cow, it scared me, it sounded so good. I have a P15N out of a Hammond cabinet in mine as well. It's GOT it. Now I just have to find someone who can really play to plug in thru it... any of you guys feel like visiting Orlando any time soon?

20. groove_king

groove_king Member

Whaddya mean "find someone who can really play"? You can play just fine, my man.

What was the problem with the bass player (apart from the obvious, that is :D)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.