• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread - Version 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimfog

Well.......they may have closed the last two....but you can't a good bowling shirt wearing, middle-aged white guy down.

Long Live the Mighty Fart Tone!!!

:dude

Goldie295

This is Phil checking in...

The thread has been a little slow of late so maybe this will give it a post holiday boost.

One question (a generalisation I know...but): Why do harp players always want to do everything 'just like the record'?

Anyone else have any experience of this? (Not necessarily with Harp players)

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. Maybe you guys have long since trod this journey (I is but a lad you see), but I have decided from here on in I am only going to produce music my way - without compromise - no matter what the instrument no matter what the music genre. No more clever Jr lick here or cutting Freddie lick there. Just me in all my (non) glory. I have decided to become an honest musician.

So here is a +1 to honesty in music and its performance.

Cheers,
Phil

pete kanaras

Why do harp players always want to do everything 'just like the record'?

don't get me started....

more seriously, when you're starting out most trad minded players have to ape, it's simply part of the learning process. you're trying to get next to something, so you take/borrow/steal from the guys who created the stuff in the first place. i certainly did. for me, you have to know the history of your instrument in the bag you choose to play, be it blues, bluegrass, jazz or country. but at some point you realize that #1 you'll never be a pimple on your hero's ass, and #2 what drew you to them in the first place was their individual style; their originality and passion within the idiom.

Just me in all my (non) glory. I have decided to become an honest musician

yeah, that is where it's at in my opinion. learn your lessons, then be yourself. and it's not easy. a lot of trad musicians never realize that. it's like the old tommy tedesco joke. tommy was a legendary L.A. studio rat, completely unknown to joe q public. a very funny, wise man. he was in session once with duane eddy, whom he adored. duane was packing up to leave and tommy goes "hey duane, one more thing". yes tommy? "hey umm, has anyone ever asked you to play like me?"

Strat-O

Why do harp players always want to do everything 'just like the record'?

don't get me started....

more seriously, when you're starting out most trad minded players have to ape, it's simply part of the learning process. you're trying to get next to something, so you take/borrow/steal from the guys who created the stuff in the first place. i certainly did. for me, you have to know the history of your instrument in the bag you choose to play, be it blues, bluegrass, jazz or country. but at some point you realize that #1 you'll never be a pimple on your hero's ass, and #2 what drew you to them in the first place was their individual style; their originality and passion within the idiom.

Just me in all my (non) glory. I have decided to become an honest musician

yeah, that is where it's at in my opinion. learn your lessons, then be yourself. and it's not easy. a lot of trad musicians never realize that. it's like the old tommy tedesco joke. tommy was a legendary L.A. studio rat, completely unknown to joe q public. a very funny, wise man. he was in session once with duane eddy, whom he adored. duane was packing up to leave and tommy goes "hey duane, one more thing". yes tommy? "hey umm, has anyone ever asked you to play like me?"
Very well stated.

btg

Speaking of harp players - has anyone checked out the new Rick Estrin solo disc. Charlie has it listed on his site.

valcotone

Gold Supporting Member
stratotonedude... waaaaay back in 2003, the original version of this thread was started to discuss the west coast blue style not necessarily blues from artists originating from the west coast. It's since expanded and evolved since then as contributors come and go...

KBR

Jeanette sent me some William Clarke cds, and all 5 are Great!

pick some up, Big Bill was My Man.

JamminJeff

"One question (a generalisation I know...but): Why do harp players always want to do everything 'just like the record'?"

"Anyone else have any experience of this? (Not necessarily with Harp players)"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are a variety of musicians who process music differently and to me it seems like a majority need a road map for comfort sakes. Be it charts, tab or note-for-note covers, the later being the least enjoyable.

The minority then seems to be the risk takers and I place myself in that category, but this is coming from a guitarist who enjoys exploration. When out past my natural and/or current level of playing, I find growth from it that is then added to my skill set. This is not a natural thing for most musicians to embrace but it's where great things sometimes happen. Also nasty sounding things happen too. "Don't fear it" is my motto.

Harp players are very attached to a progression and are limited by what key their harp is in VS the arrrangement's key. (A good harp player can explain this better). Having numerous harps for key changes is burden if you ask me so maybe they have limits that other instruments do not plus it is most a lead instrument, like sax for example, with less range. Meaning, most harp players tend to play in the upper registers to penetrate the mix, be heard, etc.

Last edited:

Goldie295

Mad Costello vid HERE

That guy could play anything. What a crazy solo. Right from that opening lick at 1.10. Mad man stuff. I bet he was really pissed (English expression meaning 'drunk' not 'fed up'). There is a moment in that solo when he seems to go from Cropper to Martino to Gatton to Collins all in one lick.

I'm not saying its great - and it certainly ain't West Coast - but it's definitely not to be missed !!

Cheers,
Phil

Poppa Stoppa

One question (a generalisation I know...but): Why do harp players always want to do everything 'just like the record'?
I know where you're coming from Phil...but in favour of this approach I will say this, and it applies to any instrument...the great players are on a different plane, and play with power and authority that many of us can only dream of approaching. When another player transcribes a great solo, and learns it deep, and can deliver it live with conviction, it really touches people. The difference in audience reaction can be amazing.

S.W.Erdnase

Silver Supporting Member
Harp players are very attached to a progression and are limited by what key their harp is in VS the arrrangement's key. (A good harp player can explain this better). Having numerous harps for key changes is burden if you ask me so maybe they have limits that other instruments do not plus it is most a lead instrument, like sax for example, with less range. Meaning, most harp players tend to play in the upper registers to penetrate the mix, be heard, etc.
Sigh.

jimfog

When another player transcribes a great solo, and learns it deep, and can deliver it live with conviction, it really touches people.
If you're going to go to all that effort, why not take the FLAVOR of someone else's thing and create your own, fresh and in the moment?

The last thing I want to hear, in any blues context, is a note for note ape-ing.

A brief homage or quote? Sure.

An entire lifted solo?

I'd rather buy the original.

stratotonedude

stratotonedude... waaaaay back in 2003, the original version of this thread was started to discuss the west coast blue style not necessarily blues from artists originating from the west coast. It's since expanded and evolved since then as contributors come and go...
Now I understand.

TwoFeets

I figure I'll check in here too.

Funny thing is I always quick-indexed this thread by looking at the thread count. Guess I gotta bookmark this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics