West Coast Blues Thread - Version 3.0

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jimfog, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Cool guitar. The look of it reminds of the late-'70s Pro Deluxe Les Paul, which are still relatively affordable(I think),and have a Tune-O-Matic bridge as well. I've had GAS for a Pro Deluxe for many years.

2. backalley nick

backalley nick Member

3. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Might you have gotten away with one of the black Edwards P90 LP Customs? Those tempt me from time to time.

4. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

They must vary some, but I had one for a minute. No matter how much I crossed my fingers, closed my eyes, and wished real hard, it just wasn't ever anything like what I wanted. Decent fifties sized neck, supposedly all mahogany (t'ick black paint, so?), tolerable weight, the long tenon (like Ron Jeremy), looked cool, but it sounded kinda...well, Clapton (I know!). Everything sounded like the solo on Crossroads! I never gave it a chance like with other p.u.s, originals being some hot, cheap Dunkins. Would have liked to have tried one o' those "Alnico" p.u.s with the rectangular polepieces, but the gtr just didn't hold my interest enough to procede. Well, then this '64 SG Special came along and...
    Others may have different outcome, and past performance is no guarantee of...(blah, blah)

[​IMG]

5. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

Could you fellows PM me on what $$ you think this particular '53 GT might fetch in the current market? Seller lives in Holland. Thanks
    Geoff

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  6. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

Hi all,

I am having my ES350-T serviced by a guitar local tech that has a really good reputation. The guitar is equipped with Dave Stephens kaybars (sort of P-90 in humbucker size).

The tech called me today and said that it is not possible to do the out-of-phase mod without having a lot of noise. He said that to eliminate the noise he would have to open up the pickup and add another wire or something like that.

As far as I understood it has something to do with the number of wires (leads) from each of the pickups. That a third wire is needed to do the out-of-phase mod without overwhelming amounts of hum.

Can any of you guys guess and maybe explain me what this is all about?

Best regards from Copenhagen

Andreas A

(I changed my username due to a case of someone trying to steal my identity on www based on info from guitar fora etc)

7. nmontz

nmontz Member

I have the phase flip mod with the regular lead pups on my r6. No more hum than usual without that third lead. Since I did it this way though....if my strings hit the polepieces of the flipped phase pup, it grounds out the guitar with no sound. Which does sometimes happen if I'm a little heavy handed with my palm muting. No sound is quite a suprise when you least expect it!! The mod IS better with the extra lead.....but......the flip will work with a regular lead setup. I'm not sure why exactly why he wants to add the extra lead....as it will work both ways. The extra lead is probably the way you want it done though. It took me awhile when I wired my guitar up, I had a vague idea of how to do it, but I just soldered away by trial and error....couldn't get it to work each way I tried even though it looked correct. It ended up I needed to shield one of the braided leads with electrical tape as that was messing the wiring up when the two braided leads touched during the phase flip. The tech wants your leads for the phase switch to look like this....vs. the hot and braided ground lead of a standard p-90 pup.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=phase_switching_for_hb

8. nmontz

nmontz Member

On the subject of that cool looking blacktop wraptail. I remember seeing picks of a blacktop 55 TOM lp. I couldn't find a better pick online right now...but it's in this collection.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/wittrock/wittrock.html

Hey Dan, I can't make it to see you guys at Blues On Grand this weekend. I hope you have a great show! Maybe Jason or Tom can make it out?

9. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, the phase switch mod can make things slightly noisy when it is engaged if you do it with regular 2-lead P90-style pickups. That's because when it is out-of-phase the + (hot) side of the pickup is the braided shield, baseplate, and polepieces... so there is more material to pick up noise vs. the in-phase when that stuff is helping to shield the pickup.

But like Noel I've had good luck with wiring it up that way anyway in most cases. I don't know how the K-Bars are constructed, so there may be other considerations there.

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Ordered a set of Don Mare/Junior Watsons for my USACG early 50's style trem Strat. Can anyone familiar with them tell me what I can expect tone-wise?
    Also, gonna' change out my USACG hardtail Strat pu's for a set of VanZandt True Vintages. It's running a VZ Blues in the bridge and VZ V+'s in the mid and neck and I actually like it a lot. Just thought I'd experiment a little. I actually like a thinner, brighter, but sweeter tone in the bridge position ala the Anson "Rack 'Em Up" bridge pu tone. Been using VZs for a long time in my Strats, but thought I'd like to try the Don Mares in one of 'em and different VZs in the other. Thanks for your comments.

Tom

11. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Andreas, The third wire is usually a pickup cover, or base plate ground that allows you to wire IN SERIES Out of Phase with a single coil pickup.

With Humbuckers, You will need to have the pickup lead wire with the braided shielding removed and replaced with a four conductor lead wire in order to make things safe and quiet. Using the braided shielding on the output wire does work, but it can turn a pickup into a big antenna.

I have detailed instructions I can send you if you e-mail me.

12. monstermike

monstermike Member

Hey, George!

Thanks for the pictures - it was great to see them. How've you been?

For humbuckers, a two conductor plus shield wire works fine for phase switching, and you don't have to worry so much about which wire is which.

13. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

14. monstermike

monstermike Member

Thanks, Jim! I try to illegally download myself wherever I can.

15. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Ha!

Personally, I like UPLOADING my own music, and pretending that I'm someone else.

"Wow, dudes........you guys MUST check out this amazing guitarist....smokin!! And I hear he's handsome, brilliant and funny, as well!!!!"

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  16. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Thanks Jon - that helps to dissuade the GAS, at least temporarily.
    Is anyone making repros of those staple magnet pickups these days?

17. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Well, there's this one company called, umm...oh yeah, gibson! C-more Dunkin, too. Bring your checkbook. Make that two checkbooks!

18. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I played an old, all original, black, L5CES with a P-90 bridge pu and AlNiCo neck pu. The AlNiCo was very low powered and didn't have much punch at all...rather anemic sounding. Nothing like a P-90. Don't know if it was just tired or if that's the way they sound. I suspect it was a little of both. Beautiful guitar though.

Tom

19. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

20. glblues

glblues Member

the mares are more alive, vocal to my ears, especially in the trebles.
    i replaced a set of lollar BFs in my hardtail strat and i was hearing more trebles and a thinner sound, in a good way. the frequencies from bass mids and trebles seem to balance out.
    i tried using some other guy's settings at a blues jam where he had massive distortion thru it, doesnt sound that great, but clean to medium overdrive, its the bee's knees.

i think that the watsons are a little different. arent they meant to sound like the biggest sounding strat pickups ever? thats what i keep hearing when watson plays a strat

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.