West Coast Blues Thread - Version 3.0

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jimfog, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valcotone

valcotone Silver Supporting Member

Really like the Don Mare pickups over here... I have a strat set and tele set that are just fantastic. Very close to old pickups to my ears, and you can have him tweak them to the sound you're looking for. I have a beater refin refretted '67 tele and sold the original pickups in favour of Don's.

2. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Handsome, brilliant, funny, Let's see...hmmmm, Tall, Bald, plays a natural ES-175...occasional red headrag ? I think I know this guy.

3. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Man! I'd love to check that one out! Wonder if it is available?
    Btw check this out if you like...my newly redone Gib. GA-6, H-65 to 62 conversion, Old parts Tele,Bob W. on
    Bass playin H-22 Double Cut...Pretty cool!:love:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDKx4hcC5wU

4. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Those young'ns can play. It's about all copped from Junior but that's how I learned. Wish I could'a played it that well at that age. I'd let 'em sit in with me anytime. But, yeah, not quite the blues look (whatever that is). Great to see 'em embracing the music indeed.

Tom

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Can't wait to get 'em installed. Thanks glblues and valcotone.

Tom

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

Thorn Guitars has a set. I am going to try them out. I will report back in a couple of months when I get the guitar together.

http://www.thornguitars.com/gt90pu-htm/gt90pu.htm

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

You will love the Don Mare set FOR SURE. Don has become a friend over the past several years. His pickups are in all of my guitars. I have tried just about everyone elses pickups and Don's are just in a different league. You can get great vintage sound out of a new guitar with Don's pickups. Tell Don what sound you are going for an he will nail it. Trust him he can hear all of the subtle nuancesses and then wind a pickup to get you there. I have been to his house and have brought a cd or you tube clip and then had him wind a pickup right then and there to capture almost the exact sound we heard. His pickup winding talents are amazing. He also plays some mean blues himself.

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Hey thanks straightblues. That's great news. I'm pretty pumped to get 'em installed. I have his pu's in both my USACG Teles and you're absolutely correct...they are killer pu's. Totally satisfied with 'em and then some.

Tom

10. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Three little Junior Jr's.! Cute! Notice whenever there's little kids up front on stage, there's always some fogies on bass and drums? Job security, baby!

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

Can someone start the Part IV sequel to this one? It's past the 1000+ monster thread level that hammers the servers.

I have to close this one... but it is left in posterity.

Carry on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.