West Coast Blues Thread Version 4.0

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sweetfinger, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

man i'd sure love to, someday soon. hanging with you is always time well spent.

and oh yeah, leonard cohen is beyond category.

2. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

Well, that explains it. The local jazz station is playing a ton of Dinah Washington. Happy birthday, Dinah!

3. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Thanks Scott, that link sent me down a long path of good listening!

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Yep, everything's been done with 1, 4, 5 that can be done, ha, ha. Yeah, right. All I could do with that clip was just sit and shake my head at the level of talent. Just ridiculous the amount of knowledge between those two. Joe's playing is a little more advanced but complemented Roy extremely well. And Roy ain't no slouch. Great clip of two gigantic talents. Thank you for that.

Tom

6. glblues

glblues Member

hi fretshop, what do you think of the rs guitarworks ones that they use? granted i dont have the funds to swap cheap electronics top rs electronics *then* buy some bumblebee caps for my gibson es135...
    i was wondering if you know anyone who does prewired electronics similar to what you are talking about

cheers
    greg

7. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

8. fretshop

RS Guitar works...All high end stuff, and RS has a solid reputation....The end result of the investment in purely in the ears, my friend. Some folks can hear the difference...I can, yet others don't. There has been controversy over reissue caps lately, and this is why you should check out the "Tube Store" website, and click on the guitar cap review by John Templeton. Read the entire review...it's very informative and totally non-biased (no pun intended). John dismantled a new Bumble bee cap used by Gibson, and here's a quote from his article :

[FONT=arial, helvetica]..."I can generalize it even more. If you have a Fender go with wax, if you have a Gibson go with oil. I compared the oil and foil caps with the repro “bumblebee caps” being sold by a few companies at about $60 each. This of course includes a fancy box and treated cotton insulation on the leads. I felt that the Ampohm Paper In Oil / Aluminum Foil cap was the closest sound match for these caps. I obtained a Gibson “bumblebee” cap as used in their historic reproduction series and found them to sound very different. Subtle use of a hammer revealed why. The Gibson caps are fakes. It’s just a poly cap in a plastic shell that looks old school[/FONT] ".

9. fretshop

re: Black Beauty caps. Those caps caused many a WWII aircraft radio to violently explode mid-air, and at the most in-opportune times, especially during live combat. The U.S. military quickly yanked them and replaced them. The remaining stock, and used stuff pulled from radios was wholesaled out, or junked. Gibson was assembling radios during the war and coincidentally had lots of the BB's on hand. The BB's worked marvelously in guitar tone circuits, where they were not affected by the high voltages, and extreme temperature and atmosphereic coefficients present in airplane tube radios. I just thought you'd all enjoy a little historical nonsense...

I haven't the slightest idea of what the new Black Beauties are like, quality wise...but a word to the wise here...I would NEVER experiment with vintage Black Beauty capacitors in an amplifier, or Hi-Fi audio circuit !!!

10. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

11. bluesjuke

Thanks for the history lesson.

Makes me wonder what kind of caps I could have gotten as a Ground Radio tech in the USAF in the early to mid 70's.

We still had a bunch of tube stuff too then.

12. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

On the second link, what is that song? Sean used to cover it, but I don't know what it is. I searched for "We gonna roll" and came up empty. Seems like Sean used to sing it as "we gonna move", can't remember, but anyway, that is the song. I remember the first verse has "me and that girl gonna paint the town red" in it. Anybody got a clue for me? TIA

13. GOLDENSTRAT

GOLDENSTRAT Member

On the second link, what is that song?

Guitar Jr. aka Lonnie Brooks did it first "Roll, Roll, Roll" is the title.

14. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Here you go:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=17:1303775

I remember the Paladins doing it live too.

15. fretshop

I went to Radio school at Thompson Hall (Keesler AFB) in 1968. I was assigned to the 3385th Sqdn. I eventually went to S.E. Asia as a LRRP radio man and Interpreter. I remember those big IBM 360s with tubes, the R390UURs and SP600 Tranceivers...all with tubes at Tech School. Rule #1: "Put one hand in your pocket before inspecting the inside of the chassis". KT88's, and STR-415s were all over the place. I don't think I changed one Capacitor in four years, although we had some resistors and power supplies that fried. We had to go to Gulf Port to get 6L6s and 6V6's, which were about $3.00 - $4.00 retail back then.

16. bluesjuke

Good ole' Keesler!
    I actually enjoyed my time there.

Speaking of capacitors my first repair at my permanent base was a transmitter that I traced the problem down to a cap on one of the boards.
    When I notified our Sgt. of not having one in bench stock I was tol, "Don't worry about it, remove the board and tune a spare to that frequency, then bring it to me".

I did and was shown how we pack it and send the module to Colorado.

Two months later it came back with an invoice for $645..

I guess they did a thorough check of all of the components on the board and certified it or something but it sure struck me as strage.
    Went to school all that time only not to effect the repair right then and there.

I'll bet you did not do it like that in S.E. Asia.

17. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

Thanks to GOLDENSTRAT and Stringmaster! CD ordered from bluesbeat, along with a few others...

18. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Guys, if I might interrupt the tech talk for a moment...been revisiting Ronnie Earl's "Now My Soul" CD and Lord have mercy, what playing and tone!! This CD is really kickin' my butt. The emotion, soul, playing, tone...it's all there in spades on this CD. Don't know how I missed so much of this CD the first few times through. I've been listening to Ronnie since his Roomful days and this has to be one of his very best pure blues CDs. Damn, it's a killer!!! Just thought you might wanna' know. We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion boards.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.