• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

West Coast Blues Thread Version 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpnblues

Yep, everything's been done with 1, 4, 5 that can be done, ha, ha. Yeah, right. All I could do with that clip was just sit and shake my head at the level of talent. Just ridiculous the amount of knowledge between those two. Joe's playing is a little more advanced but complemented Roy extremely well. And Roy ain't no slouch. Great clip of two gigantic talents. Thank you for that.

Tom

glblues

From my personal research..and please understand that my ears are my own...not every one else's...certain caps, not ALL caps...seem to make a tonal difference in the harness. To add to the Conundrum...let's combine the caps with potentiometers from different manufacturers...and we've got alot of possibilities. Sometimes the difference is apparent, and sometimes its VERY subtle. A little reminiscence here: I "lent" a certain magazine publisher that Tweed 135 and I know very well(no name mentioned here) some NOS, virgin, never used caps from the 40's - 60's for a test, because he didn't believe there was even a minute difference in tone due to a capacitor's materials of manufacture and design....he installed the caps in his personal instruments, then told me he'd had a revelation, and then sent me a thank you e-mail...of course, I never got my stuff back (needless to say we don't talk any more). Anyway....for all my labors and generosity, I did however get a kudo from the publisher's house guest, Peter Stroud from Cheryl Crow's band after the publisher installed a set of my caps in his Les Paul guitar. Any way....I use a variety of different caps in my guitars....I just don't like Orange Drops in guitar tone circuits, but Guitar Matt loves 'em because they boost the high end "chirp". I use Mylars with my Fralin Tele pups because I like the way they work with CTS pots...not everybody likes 'em. It's all subjective, and not everybody will hear the difference. To My ears, Those caps make Vanzandt pups sound dull...

NOW...in my amps...that's another story. I can't stand Orange Drop 715P's...Jesus, they take the paint off the walls, BUT Cesar Diaz used them in both my Super Reverb and SRV's, (I was at his shop, and watched him re-cap the amps and voice them side by side). He meticulously metered every cap and numbered them with a Sharpie pen, and then he removed the silver mica caps from the treble stack of my Super and replaced them with 250pf ceramic caps. The amp jumped back to life. You can hear my Super at the 2006 Boston Blues Festival (You Tube)with both Ronnie Earl and Anson F. playing out of it. They loved it...I think the 715P's make it sound a bit too quick, too "alive" to pick attack, but that's just me...consequently I don't use the amp, but every body else loves it...go figure. Capacitors AND resistors in my very humble opinion are like great wines and Scotch whiskeys of tone , and also kinda like uh... kinda like...wives...they either irritate the daylights out of you, or make you glad to be alive. I AM NOT commenting further...I need a roof over my head. (I should check to see if the ol' lady has a treble bleed cap...even when she lowers her voice, she sounds like a banjo.)

XO

G-Man
hi fretshop, what do you think of the rs guitarworks ones that they use? granted i dont have the funds to swap cheap electronics top rs electronics *then* buy some bumblebee caps for my gibson es135...
i was wondering if you know anyone who does prewired electronics similar to what you are talking about

cheers
greg

fretshop

hi fretshop, what do you think of the rs guitarworks ones that they use? granted i dont have the funds to swap cheap electronics top rs electronics *then* buy some bumblebee caps for my gibson es135...
i was wondering if you know anyone who does prewired electronics similar to what you are talking about

cheers
greg
RS Guitar works...All high end stuff, and RS has a solid reputation....The end result of the investment in purely in the ears, my friend. Some folks can hear the difference...I can, yet others don't. There has been controversy over reissue caps lately, and this is why you should check out the "Tube Store" website, and click on the guitar cap review by John Templeton. Read the entire review...it's very informative and totally non-biased (no pun intended). John dismantled a new Bumble bee cap used by Gibson, and here's a quote from his article :

[FONT=arial, helvetica]..."I can generalize it even more. If you have a Fender go with wax, if you have a Gibson go with oil. I compared the oil and foil caps with the repro “bumblebee caps” being sold by a few companies at about $60 each. This of course includes a fancy box and treated cotton insulation on the leads. I felt that the Ampohm Paper In Oil / Aluminum Foil cap was the closest sound match for these caps. I obtained a Gibson “bumblebee” cap as used in their historic reproduction series and found them to sound very different. Subtle use of a hammer revealed why. The Gibson caps are fakes. It’s just a poly cap in a plastic shell that looks old school[/FONT] ".

fretshop

re: Black Beauty caps. Those caps caused many a WWII aircraft radio to violently explode mid-air, and at the most in-opportune times, especially during live combat. The U.S. military quickly yanked them and replaced them. The remaining stock, and used stuff pulled from radios was wholesaled out, or junked. Gibson was assembling radios during the war and coincidentally had lots of the BB's on hand. The BB's worked marvelously in guitar tone circuits, where they were not affected by the high voltages, and extreme temperature and atmosphereic coefficients present in airplane tube radios. I just thought you'd all enjoy a little historical nonsense...

I haven't the slightest idea of what the new Black Beauties are like, quality wise...but a word to the wise here...I would NEVER experiment with vintage Black Beauty capacitors in an amplifier, or Hi-Fi audio circuit !!!

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Thanks for the history lesson.

Makes me wonder what kind of caps I could have gotten as a Ground Radio tech in the USAF in the early to mid 70's.

We still had a bunch of tube stuff too then.

jawjatek

On the second link, what is that song? Sean used to cover it, but I don't know what it is. I searched for "We gonna roll" and came up empty. Seems like Sean used to sing it as "we gonna move", can't remember, but anyway, that is the song. I remember the first verse has "me and that girl gonna paint the town red" in it. Anybody got a clue for me? TIA

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
On the second link, what is that song? Sean used to cover it, but I don't know what it is. I searched for "We gonna roll" and came up empty. Seems like Sean used to sing it as "we gonna move", can't remember, but anyway, that is the song. I remember the first verse has "me and that girl gonna paint the town red" in it. Anybody got a clue for me? TIA
Here you go:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=17:1303775

I remember the Paladins doing it live too.

fretshop

Thanks for the history lesson.

Makes me wonder what kind of caps I could have gotten as a Ground Radio tech in the USAF in the early to mid 70's.

We still had a bunch of tube stuff too then.
I went to Radio school at Thompson Hall (Keesler AFB) in 1968. I was assigned to the 3385th Sqdn. I eventually went to S.E. Asia as a LRRP radio man and Interpreter. I remember those big IBM 360s with tubes, the R390UURs and SP600 Tranceivers...all with tubes at Tech School. Rule #1: "Put one hand in your pocket before inspecting the inside of the chassis". KT88's, and STR-415s were all over the place. I don't think I changed one Capacitor in four years, although we had some resistors and power supplies that fried. We had to go to Gulf Port to get 6L6s and 6V6's, which were about $3.00 - $4.00 retail back then.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Good ole' Keesler!
I actually enjoyed my time there.

Speaking of capacitors my first repair at my permanent base was a transmitter that I traced the problem down to a cap on one of the boards.
When I notified our Sgt. of not having one in bench stock I was tol, "Don't worry about it, remove the board and tune a spare to that frequency, then bring it to me".

I did and was shown how we pack it and send the module to Colorado.

Two months later it came back with an invoice for $645..

I guess they did a thorough check of all of the components on the board and certified it or something but it sure struck me as strage.
Went to school all that time only not to effect the repair right then and there.

I'll bet you did not do it like that in S.E. Asia.

jumpnblues

Guys, if I might interrupt the tech talk for a moment...been revisiting Ronnie Earl's "Now My Soul" CD and Lord have mercy, what playing and tone!! This CD is really kickin' my butt. The emotion, soul, playing, tone...it's all there in spades on this CD. Don't know how I missed so much of this CD the first few times through. I've been listening to Ronnie since his Roomful days and this has to be one of his very best pure blues CDs. Damn, it's a killer!!! Just thought you might wanna' know. We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion boards.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics