West Coast Blues Thread Version 5.0

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by valcotone, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

I should have mentioned that Brett Brubaker did the re-winds and custom three conductor leads on the Hershey pickups. His pickup restoration work is superb. Here's a shot of the bracket I designed to convert the
    Hersheys into adjustable pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fretshop

Matt and I dropped by Bill M's place yesterday for a check up and some final adjustments on our 6V6 modded Blues Juniors. I didn't realize until Bill swapped phase inverter tubes that I have not one, but THREE amps. Using a 12AX7 renders lots of gain and touch sensitivity, while installing a 12AT7 turns the amp into an early BF Deluxe Reverb. Bill then installed a 12AY7 and to my ears...the amp sounded like a great old Tweed Tremolux with better bottom end and extended highs. This amp is a real work horse, and it will easily go shoulder to shoulder with a Deluxe Reverb. We are using the JJ 6V6s, but for a more retro tone and response, the Electro Harmonics 6V6s will do the trick.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  3. fretshop

Bill-M 6V6 Blues Junior #0002 in Tweed Super Cabinet

[​IMG]

4. fretshop

Bill-M 6V6 Blues Junior

[​IMG]

5. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

I am very impressed with all these new gear pics. Did Gtr Matt delete his pics? That was one fine looking guitar. Duke, I love that Epi too. George that Espanada you restored looked a-mazing.

Here's one that arrived here yesterday from the US of A, a 1965 Holiday Silhouette (based on a Harmony H19):
    [​IMG]
    Whaddya think?

Hey Fretshop, that is a cool bracket for the hershey bar pickups. I know that Brett Brubaker now can replace the rivets with eyelets. The thought I had was to put a screw through the eyelet, through a short length of surgical hose to act as a spring, and screw into the wood top of the guitar, rather than rout it out. Do you think that would work for a bridge pickup in an H44? And by the way, if I send you all the parts, will you make me a guitar like you did for Matt?!?!

6. fretshop

Brett warned me NOT to remove the eyelets and use the screw-spring method of adjusting the pickups because the bare windings are apparently very close to the rivet holes and can be snagged and broken very easily, so...I had to come up with something, and what you see is the final version. I formed the brackets out of a special grade of aluminum, and then used a military grade structural epoxy to glue the brackets to the pickup base plates. The brackets work beautifully. When you are able to micro adjust the Hershey pickups, the tonal possibilities, and the gain in touch sensitivity are wonderful. By the way, I haven't seen one of those Silhouettes in over forty years. Brings me right back to my early teen age years !!! (I wish I felt that way physically, LOL)

7. fretshop

Matt Daniels with H-44 Duo, March 2010

[​IMG]

8. fretshop

P.M. or e-mail me

9. fretshop

I hated to give this guitar back to Matt...I fell in love with it

[​IMG]

10. fretshop

I spent my early teenage years playing a 2 pickup Kay Value Leader with the "Steel Reinforced Neck". I really miss that guitar. Does anybody have one, or have any comments. I listened to some old recordings Mike Schwartz and I did back in '65 and it sounded pretty darned good. I gave it up for a Gretsch 6120 that I later traded for a '60 Strat.

11. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Speaking of Value Leaders- Here's an old Kay made Custom Kraft I restored recently, now owned by Scotty Spenner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was pretty rough when I got it- Just body and neck stripped to bare wood and beat up.
    [​IMG]

12. fretshop

Ahhh...What a great vibe. Those guitars had major Mojo...and they still do !!

Mine was a Sunburst Kay. My Dad paid $60 for it.back in 1961. I strung it up with Guild Extra Heavy Flat wound strings. I had a tiny Masco amp with a single 8" speaker. I still have the amp.

13. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

that is exactly my h19 but mine has the hagstrom vibrato. unreal guitar. only thing they need is to add a spacer under the bridge pickup. killer killer killer guitar

14. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

OK - my turn. No cool vintage pieces, just picked up sumpin' to match the goldtop.

[​IMG]

15. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

One of the best slide guitars ever!

16. glblues

glblues Member

wow, soundclips pls!

17. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

We'll need a full report complete with sound clips.;)

18. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Innat usually an indictment of a gtr's unsuitability as a (non-slide) gtr?

19. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

yeah usually, but not here, ime at least. i had mine set up exclusively for slide (shimmed nut, higher action) for many years. then i set it up normal and went "damn this is a great guitar!". then i TBone'd the middle and went "Damn!" i'm refretting it now (stock frets are horrible on these) and i'll get around to shimming up that bridge pickup, which is the only real problem with those guitars; opo the rivets, mount a shim underneath to correct the imbalance and Viola, one of the greatest roots axes on the planet. the neck taper is non-existent and so yeah it gets cramped past the octave but i'm used to it

20. MR.K

MR.K Member

Hey man thanks for the tunes. Rusty Zinn is very cool and I'm really diggin' that Lynnwood set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.