West Coast Blues Version 16

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Short Bus, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Short Bus

Short Bus Member

Since I usually lurk and I'm a wee bit nervousness about posting...

2. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

OK!

3. RickyKing

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  4. jetlag

jetlag Member

Ricky, thanks for the Robert Jr. That was wonderful man! Hadn't seen that one.

5. RickyKing

Cheers, mate...looks like we lost everyone, ROLL CALL! :aok

6. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

WooHoo!

7. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

[​IMG]

8. sideman

sideman Member

9. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I'll be there in a minute.

10. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Well, how about some vitamin "K". Sound is a bit rough and the video goes into serious "Batman super villain lair tilt-o-vision" part way through, but what else ain't to love?

11. straightblues

straightblues Member

Hey fretshop I scored some vintage Cornell Dubilier .039 caps. Like you said, this value does seem to add a vintage tone. I put them in a SG, Tele, and Strat. They sound good in every guitar so far.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  12. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Ya know, working for a living sucks... I'm like a week behind. Didn't get to report on my charity gig a week ago, or anything! But, we had a great time and raised some money and gathered some food for the Food 4 Kidz program for the local foodbank.

I was gonna put in about 10" speakers... I have a number of amps with 10-inchers. I have a particular love for alnico 10's. I have a pair of Weber P10R speakers in my Vibrolux Reverb, a mix of Jensen reissue (P10R and C10R) in my Vibroverb RI, a 410 DeVille with Emi blue frames and a homemade cabinet with a Rajin Cajun and an Emi Blue Frame. They all have different, interesting flavors. I must admit, I do like mixing speakers as well... just to see what pops out!

I hear great things about that Celestion Gold... But havent found one I could afford when I had the cash. I also hear the Eminence Legen 1028s are pretty good.

Hmmm, how many other topics can I get in before we have to start v. 17?

13. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

The value of the caps should be .039mf, not .39mf. If my original post was in error, I apologize. The cornell Dublier caps have mostly always sounded good.

If you need more presence to your tone, with some fatter upper mid range, try .033mf. If you would like a little less compression on the notes, move up to some 300K audio pots. Some of the best vintage Strats I've had on the bench have had 250K pots that measured near 300K.

I have some clients who prefer 500K audio pots in their Strats, but IMO, the Strat vibe begins to wane. The 500K's can, however, relieve some of the note compression in Telecaster pickups, especially when used with either the .033mf or .039mf caps. For my own needs and preferences, I just stay with 250 K pots, but I use the .039 tone cap. One of my very old "best kept secrets" for Lindy Fralin Tele and Strat pickup users is a .056mf tone cap. I get all these odd values from a few specialty houses.

Response to messages re: Telecasters. This will save me alot of time on the computer.

I received some e-mails regarding the Van Zandt True Vintage Tele bridge pickup. This pickup was W.L.'s Favorite. It has an organic tone with lots of raw twang and a throaty low end, and some great surprises await when the tone control is rolled back just a hair, BUT, don't be surprised if you have to enlarge the mounting hole in your bridge plate just a little to get it to fit. So, if your Tele has an authentic vintage bridge plate, PULEEEZ...pack it away, and carefully enlarge the hole on a reissue plate....it doesn't need much. I've also been flooded with questions (gotta love this internet) about my preferences in after market plates and bridge saddles. I've seen, and heard alot of 'em. This is just my personal take....all my favorite Tele players used stock bridge plates and saddles, and their tone inspired countless numbers of us to fall in love with the plank, AND all of its foibles. Funny, I have had some awesome Nocaster and custom shop Tele reissues pass through my place that had been savaged of all their standard parts and had all the bells and whistles mods done....pickups, titanium saddles, cryogenic this and that. Hey, if it makes you feel that you play better...Mazeltov !! (LOL). I would not have garnered the level of success I have been blessed with in this business if I were not open minded, BUT sometimes, my honesty gets in the way... so, to each his own.

Anyway,

As I mentioned in prior posts, the pickups from various winders all have their little idiosyncrasies, and they will respond in their own particular way with different tone caps and potentiometer combinations.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  14. fretshop

fretshop Silver Supporting Member

Pete,

Looks like we're on for the 21st and 22nd. Texas sends regards. I'd love to get the boy and Harman together for a tour...James and Anson...pure magic.

Birds Eye : Hope you can make it to the Brooklyn gig.

15. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

very cool! that is gonna be a Great show. and since we live less than 10 min from the venue maybe we can all get together here for a nice combination lunch/gear geek out on sunday. Rick will be over in a couple hours for some Greektown hospitality, and i've some very interesting stuff to show him. they sounded really good yesterday.

16. RickyKing

Lucky Stiff!! :aok

17. TwoFeets

TwoFeets Member

Checking in.

Look at Greg getting in on the thread starting action. Thanks bud!

18. Jed B

Jed B Supporting Member

mellow monday

19. t135

t135 Member

Sure was lonely in that 'other place' until someone turned the light on.

20. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Supporting Member

There's a light?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.